IGNORED

Pre Season - Excitement or slight dismay?

PFree

I get why SL wants to run City as a business, it isn't a Charity after all. That' said if City is his real passion as he suggests, I do wonder why he doesn't go after that Premiership dream whilst he still has his youth and health?

I've followed City for over 30 years and been a ST for most of those but being honest, I try not to expect anything going into a season as at least then I am never too disappointed!

What saddens me most is to see home grown and developed youngsters leaving as they too don't see us reaching the promised land anytime soon (If ever). It's great that we invest in the "talent of tomorrow", it helps balance the books as far as possible but will it realistically ever get us to the ultimate level?

I look at what Leeds and Forest have done in the closed season and having seen what Wolves did the season, I can't help but be envious of how excited their f as must be. Okay, you can't buy success but on the balance of probability, it certainly significantly improves your chances?

I’m excited. I quite like our summer businesses. 

Players who didn’t want to stay have been shifted on for good money. We’ve signed players to fit our style, to add to those we already have and we will hopefully see a few with “potential” stepping up this season. 

We have tied a few more players down to long contracts and overall I’m looking forward to the season. Especially without having to tolerate seeing Pisano in the team regularly..!

In of the last interviews before the end of the season LJ said he would bring in "steel". To much up and downs during last season let us down. He was going to adress it. It has not happened. Maybe he forgot about it. Maybe Sugar Dad was not interested. I don't know. It will be a very hard season. We will also miss Bobby Reid massively. Geniously setting up our offensive play at one touch, scoring for fun and planting the ball on Diedehious head for many goals. Hopefully very tired legs yesterday 

33 minutes ago, PFree said:

I get why SL wants to run City as a business, it isn't a Charity after all. That' said if City is his real passion as he suggests, I do wonder why he doesn't go after that Premiership dream whilst he still has his youth and health?

I've followed City for over 30 years and been a ST for most of those but being honest, I try not to expect anything going into a season as at least then I am never too disappointed!

What saddens me most is to see home grown and developed youngsters leaving as they too don't see us reaching the promised land anytime soon (If ever). It's great that we invest in the "talent of tomorrow", it helps balance the books as far as possible but will it realistically ever get us to the ultimate level?

I look at what Leeds and Forest have done in the closed season and having seen what Wolves did the season, I can't help but be envious of how excited their f as must be. Okay, you can't buy success but on the balance of probability, it certainly significantly improves your chances?

10 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The Bristol Sport idiots need to wake up

He's tried throwing money at the problem and got burned. The club have been completely open and clear about how they are trading currently and going forward, so I am not quite sure why anyone would be disappointed when they follow that path.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He's tried throwing money at the problem and got burned. The club have been completely open and clear about how they are trading currently and going forward, so I am not quite sure why anyone would be disappointed when they follow that path.

I'm not disappointed. That's exactly what LJ said in an interview. More surprised and once again holding my head. 

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The problem is that the Bristol Sport idiots don't know anything about football

I am really surprised at you Tommy, you spend so much time telling us that the money in English football doesn't get reflected in the quality of it, and yet you want this club to start throwing money around as if we are one of the Premiership Millionaires club. We aren't, we wont, so why are you surprised about it when it doesn't happen?

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am really surprised at you Tommy, you spend so much time telling us that the money in English football doesn't get reflected in the quality of it, and yet you want this club to start throwing money around as if we are one of the Premiership Millionaires club. We aren't, we wont, so why are you surprised about it when it doesn't happen?

I don't wan't the club to "throw away money". I wan't the club to adress the managers very clear concern. It won't cost loads. If you know your football.

Bristol Sport are totally inept and should be closed down. 

3 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I don't wan't the club to "throw away money". I wan't the club to adress the managers very clear concern. It won't cost loads. If you know your football.

What clear concern? 

If it's that easy then why do 99% of teams struggle to get it right?

You do realise that Bristol Sport is basically the Lansdowns right? 

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What clear concern? 

If it's that easy then why do 99% of teams struggle to get it right?

You do realise that Bristol Sport is basically the Lansdowns right? 

We were going to bring in "steel". The reason for to many up and downs last season was missing it. This has not happened.

Lansdown call himself "advisor". He don't know anything about football.

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We were going to bring in "steel". The reason for to many up and downs last season was missing it. This has not happened.

Lansdown call himself "advisor". He don't know anything about football.

OK. Point me at the hundreds of Chairman who have any football knowledge, they don't have it, that's why they employ others to do that side of things. I think it's easy to set 100's of miles away across the sea, in a different country and criticise. You know nothing of the workings of this club. 

16 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

yes....yes it would, to sign the players required to mount a promotion challenge in this league would cost about 40 to 50 million

I get what Tommy is saying.

LJ came out saying we lacked real leaders when we went on a bad run. I can't see where he has added that 'steel' over the summer.

I don't know the new players very well though tbh. Maybe he thinks Hunt or Webster are leaders but that hasn't come across as yet.

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Let's give up and be total shit for another 120 years. Nothing is possible in Bristol. 

or continue with year on year improvements buying young, developing and sell at a profit which in turn is reinvested to buy better young players develop them and sell for a greater profit,

you know like the club has done for 4 or 5 years now

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

or continue with year on year improvements buying young, developing and sell at a profit which in turn is reinvested to buy better young players develop them and sell for a greater profit,

We won't get that "steel" from the academy

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Completely agree. Improved league position for last 4 seasons. Our weakness was lack of championship games experience and we have addressed that along with adding height in the midfield area. The younger players (like Eliasson) will also be a year better.

Would I prefer bobby was still here? Yes of course. But lots of reasons for optimism. 

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We won't get that "steel" from the academy

we have in the past we've also developed a number of players recently attracting interest, perhaps you've heard of joe bryan and booby reid, or maybe enland youth international lloyd Kelly or promising Centre back Zak Vyner

#'

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So basically you would like us to do something like spend 6 million on a 30 year old Lewis Grabban on a 4 year contract. Breaking our wage structure, with no value to sell on as he gets older. Probably be stuck with him past his best at about 32 with 2 more years to run and no one interested in signing him. Or do we back our judgment in the transfer market that Andi Weimann is in fact a striker and has been played out of position the last 5 years, and Mo Eisa has the ability to replicate at championship level what he did in league two. I am using Grabban as an example of what we'd be doing if we chuck money at it buying the best in the division.

I would like the manager to adress his concern

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

So basically you would like us to do something like spend 6 million on a 30 year old Lewis Grabban on a 4 year contract. Breaking our wage structure, with no value to sell on as he gets older. Probably be stuck with him past his best at about 32 with 2 more years to run and no one interested in signing him. Or do we back our judgment in the transfer market that Andi Weimann is in fact a striker and has been played out of position the last 5 years, and Mo Eisa has the ability to replicate at championship level what he did in league two. I am using Grabban as an example of what we'd be doing if we chuck money at it buying the best in the division.

Sorry - is Grabban a good example of a leader of men , someone who will add steel to the team? That is his point I think. Maybe a more experienced player will be obviously older but one older head may help. They tried it with GON which didn't work but maybe we do need someone of that ilk.

My suspicion is LJ feels threatened or undermined by experienced players and that is partly why we aren't going down that route.

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we have in the past we've also developed a number of players recently attracting interest, perhaps you've heard of joe bryan and booby reid, or maybe enland youth international lloyd Kelly or promising Centre back Zak Vyner

Booby Reid at Bristol City- surely not?! :)

One of the criticisms of the England team was that they lacked leaders on the pitch.

However, without then  so called "big names" of the previous golden generation, we saw a young squad, most of whom have grown up through the junior England set ups together, What this gave us was a proper team , playing for each other and the manager, with whom most have developed as England players. 

There are a lot of similarities with us.  Through the academy set up and our player strategy we are building a young squad developing together, and hopefully this will mean that they want to play for each other . Others have commented that a few of these players have developed very well under LJ's coaching, so it is not impossible that they will want to play for him. 

Perhaps also like England, we do need that one experienced player, probably in midfield, to provide leadership out on the pitch and help with game management, but perhaps that player is already here and will develop this attributes on the pitch. A Paul Hartley type  player would be the ideal, but was he born as the midfield general he was when here, or did he develop those attributes through his on pitch experience? Perhaps we have that type of player already here, and he just needs to develop leadership on the pitch?

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

In of the last interviews before the end of the season LJ said he would bring in "steel". To much up and downs during last season let us down. He was going to adress it. It has not happened. Maybe he forgot about it. Maybe Sugar Dad was not interested. I don't know. It will be a very hard season. We will also miss Bobby Reid massively. Geniously setting up our offensive play at one touch, scoring for fun and planting the ball on Diedehious head for many goals. Hopefully very tired legs yesterday 

How do you know he hasn’t addressed it..?

If we have less “ups & downs” this season, then his signings will have complimented what we have, to do exactly what he required from them. 

Still think we’re lacking experience and leadership across the whole pitch. I’d like another midfielder without trying to be too greedy? Somebody to steady the ship and gather the players when we’re under pressure.

Although they’re terrific footballers, I don’t see Korey, Marlon or Josh fulfilling that role.

Archived