IGNORED

Bristol Utd Enthusiast

Pickle Rick

There was a guy with an unusual name (which I forget) who used to push this a lot.

He had a Bristol United website with a badge and inetnded colours plus copies of his letters to Bill Gates, Madonna and Richard Branson asking for money to merge the clubs.

Somebody on here had done work for him on this website design and said he was a right pain in real life.

Got to be a WUM.

If there was a Bristol Utd, it would be all Bristol City as the gas have absolutely nothing better than we do, end of.

Better ground, obviously.

Better players in every position, obviously.

Better league position, obviously.

Better crowds, by an absolute mile.

Better owner. Our owner DOES spend his money, their's just adds debt and spends naff all.

Why on earth would we be remotely interested? ? 'em.

36 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

There was a guy with an unusual name (which I forget) who used to push this a lot.

He had a Bristol United website with a badge and inetnded colours plus copies of his letters to Bill Gates, Madonna and Richard Branson asking for money to merge the clubs.

Somebody on here had done work for him on this website design and said he was a right pain in real life.

That has to be made up

Bristol United would be a massive club, think Newcastle, Leeds, Wolves, far too sensible though, instead we will have to put up with the usual mediocrity, of course it will have to be mainly City taking Rovers over and buying them out, within a generation any rivalry would be forgotten, all pie in the sky of course

6 minutes ago, harrys said:

Bristol United would be a massive club, think Newcastle, Leeds, Wolves, far too sensible though, instead we will have to put up with the usual mediocrity, of course it will have to be mainly City taking Rovers over and buying them out, within a generation any rivalry would be forgotten, all pie in the sky of course

Richard Griffiths? 

47 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Got to be a WUM.

If there was a Bristol Utd, it would be all Bristol City as the gas have absolutely nothing better than we do, end of.

Better ground, obviously.

Better players in every position, obviously.

Better league position, obviously.

Better crowds, by an absolute mile.

Better owner. Our owner DOES spend his money, their's just adds debt and spends naff all.

Why on earth would we be remotely interested? ? 'em.

To get 9k extra fans whilst losing nothing? 

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Doesn't quite work like that though does it. a) they rarely get 9k fans b)some do go to both city and rovers currently c) it would essentially be a new club so I don't think I could bring myself to have the same feelings for it as I do for city so I probably wouldn't attend as much. 

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

....but you're not including the 40,000 that would be locked out!

3 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

This is strange,working in bedminster last week and started talking to another red but I nstead of the usual Johnson in out talk he went straight in at he's heard rumours of a merger and then gave about 10 s..t reasons why it will happen

No it won't happen

7 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

This is strange,working in bedminster last week and started talking to another red but I nstead of the usual Johnson in out talk he went straight in at he's heard rumours of a merger and then gave about 10 s..t reasons why it will happen

If I could cross threads here, per my post on the Bristol Rovers Dustbin thread I think that the current owners of Bristol Rovers FC have zero interest in the football club and full interest in the land upon which they play.

I think that they would be delighted to be able to lose the loss making football club tomorrow so would be up for merger with us, Yeovil, Forest Green or anybody who will take them off their hands.

This would not have been the case under the Dunfords or Higgs but IMHO it is now and so makes a merger far more likely than it has ever been as they will be making zero demands as they just want the playing side gone.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/184990-bristol-rovers-dustbin-thread/&do=findComment&comment=3281087

3 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

There has never been a merger of two clubs with significant fan bases, who are direct rivals, in decades if ever that I’ve heard of. Happy to be proved wrong.

The only one of which I can think is Rushden and Diamonds and it's not clear whether the clubs were rivals at the time of the merger:

Rushden & Diamonds Football Club was formed at the end of the 1991/92 season following a merger between Rushden Town (Southern League) and Irthlingborough Diamonds (United Counties League). Rushden Town was formed in 1889 and competed in the Midland and Northants Leagues before joining the United Counties League. The club made a brief sojourn to the Central Alliance before returning to the U.C.L. in the late 50s and winning the title in 1963/64 and 1972/73. In 1983 it was elected to the Southern League Midland Division and progressed further in 1990/91 with promotion to the Premier Division. Unfortunately, after finishing 14th in their first season at this level, the Russians were relegated back to the Midland Division, as their Hayden Road ground was not considered up to the standard required. The club had made considerable improvements to the ground and the Social Club, and was devastated when told that the facilities were not acceptable. Irthlingborough Diamonds was founded in 1946 and began playing competitive youth football in 1947. For the next decade they played as an under-18 side before progressing through local football in the Rushden & District and Kettering Amateur Leagues until 1964. They then achieved senior status with a move to the United Counties League winning the title for the first time in 1970/71. In addition to League success the Diamonds had exciting runs in the FA Vase, reaching the semi-finals in 1980/81 and 1983/84 before losing to Willenhall and Stamford respectively. But after the successes of the 70s and 80s, the early 90s saw a decline in the clubs fortunes and Max Griggs, a local businessman, was approached concerning a possible sponsorship.

0,,10784~131874,00.jpg

Mr Griggs recognised the problems being experienced by both Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds and suggested a merger. Despite widespread reservations this amalgamation was eventually agreed and the Irthlingborough Diamonds ground, Nene Park, was brought up to the required standard.

https://rdfc1992.com/2012/12/31/rushden-diamonds-football-club-history/

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If I could cross threads here, per my post on the Bristol Rovers Dustbin thread I think that the current owners of Bristol Rovers FC have zero interest in the football club and full interest in the land upon which they play.

From what I've seen of Wael Al-Qadi the Gas are very much in his interest. Recently left the Jordanian FA to put all his time into the club as well.

58 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

If we did merge, it’s only fair that the new club name reflect the 2 clubs out of respect for their history  

We could use ‘Bristol ‘ from Rovers, and ‘City’ from us. 

How original.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Didn`t the crook Maxwell try and merge Reading & Oxford - Thames Valley Royals rings a bell?

Yes he did.  Back around 1983,  I haven't looked that up, I remember it from a television programme from the time.    A short lived venture, it was doomed to failure, but Maxwell believed it could feasibly go ahead. 

I saw this thread a moment ago and don't think you've got anything to worry over.   Social media can be far from any tangible truth or reliable information and seems an instance of another individual with too much time on their hands or attempt at some outlandish wind-up.    The chance this could happen in any of our lifetimes seems do distant I have trouble even putting it into words.

Seem to remember a similar thing with ourselves and Norwich and they wanted to merge the two into one club.  For one thing, we're 45 miles apart and both supporters would have caused such a stink about it any ideas about such a farce being implemented would have been shot out of the water before any real discussion even got off the ground.     Not only that, we've got League Championships, FA Cup and European trophies to their one single League Cup "victory" and they talk about merging the two and allowing them their share of our successes ?    ?

Sorry I know this isn't about us, but the point being, news such as this has been felt at other teams / local rivals in the past and will do for future occasion.    Don't allow the intended stir to get to people, see through it for the scam it is.  

Archived