IGNORED

EFL on Sky via the Red Button (Merged)

WOTRED

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Definitely.  checked this morning.  

If you know anyone with Sky Sports then why not do what I have just arranged to do with a friend, pay them £10 per month (or get them to give it to you for free) for one of their two access codes.  You can then log in via Sky Sports app and that has red button

That's not a bad plan. Does the Sky anywhere thing work if you are a Virgin Media customer?

Just thinking that if it does, I could give a login to my old man who probably would struggle to justify the cost.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Definitely.  checked this morning.  

If you know anyone with Sky Sports then why not do what I have just arranged to do with a friend, pay them £10 per month (or get them to give it to you for free) for one of their two access codes.  You can then log in via Sky Sports app and that has red button

I was going to ask this very question, thanks!

The Mrs' dad pays for Sky and I pay for BT so we've got all bases covered. He gave me the details so I watch through the Sky app on my PS4. I assume I can access the red button through this? I can't say I've tried in the past. 

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sky is a Commercial Monster , along with BT Sport and the growing number pushing in

But for-anyone who loves sport (and can afford it of course) I can’t understand anyone not having it

Tbf their coverage and presentation of Sport is on the whole superb (IMHO)

Yep, appreciate some can't afford it and a lot of people can but choose not to. But I couldn't not have it given the amount of sport I like even in addition to football, and seeing that the coverage is just so good on both Sky and BT as opposed to the free to air coverage when it's available.  I'm also lucky that my missus doesn't give me too much grief about it as well as I know that can be a factor! 

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Anyone who pays £32 monthly for Sky Sports has never picked up the phone to Sky and had a whinge. I get it for £10 a month on top of the usual subscription.

Hang on Rich, are you saying that Sky Sport cost £32 a month, but if you phone them and moan, it becomes £42 a month?

Might maintain a dignified silence if that's the case.

As long as Peter '*****' Beagrie isn't the commentator on our games im happy! Would be good if they actually had designated commentators for each club, who have better knowledge of the teams/division rather than the usual drivel spouting crap like "oh Leeds are a big team so they should win" ? 

44 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sky is a Commercial Monster , along with BT Sport and the growing number pushing in

But for-anyone who loves sport (and can afford it of course) I can’t understand anyone not having it

Spot on.

Sky's coverage of all sports is simply fantastic, especially football and cricket. The test match coverage is about as good as it gets. Top pundits with top guests - it's brilliant. Can hardly wait for Wednesday against India.

Whitlst I get some refusing to subscribe as a matter of principle, I couldn't be without it.

27 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hang on Rich, are you saying that Sky Sport cost £32 a month, but if you phone them and moan, it becomes £42 a month?

Might maintain a dignified silence if that's the case.

Hmmmm, didn't explain myself too well there did I?

The Sports part of the subscription is costing me £10 instead of £32 as part of the overall package because I called and told them I wasn't prepared to pay £32 for it.

Hope that makes things clearer :)

• Admin
23 minutes ago, TMWANG50 said:

Does Sky go have the red button. I didn't think it did? I haven't tried it recently but could use on 3 devices?

No -  I wonder if they are there under another channel name / number?

I know the BBC "red button" service is in the high 900's on Sky

Bit off topic & this won't help those who want to watch the City matches on red button. 

Me and my mate pay £17 each for the monthly package of Sky Sports. You can register 4 devices & watch simultaneously on 2. 

It's great value for money if you can find someone else to go halves with imo. I've got the app on my console so still get to watch it on my TV. Only small issue is its about 30/40 seconds behind live TV. 

1 hour ago, MC26 said:

I was going to ask this very question, thanks!

The Mrs' dad pays for Sky and I pay for BT so we've got all bases covered. He gave me the details so I watch through the Sky app on my PS4. I assume I can access the red button through this? I can't say I've tried in the past. 

I would guess so.  It says on the link in OP that the red button is available on the app. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

That's not a bad plan. Does the Sky anywhere thing work if you are a Virgin Media customer?

Just thinking that if it does, I could give a login to my old man who probably would struggle to justify the cost.

Sorry, I have no idea!   My tech ability is limited! 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I agree that Sky's football coverage is excellent, and in of itself just about worth what they charge - my frustration is that what they charge for Sky Sports is not the end of it.

As far as I can tell, outside of NowTV (which has no red button, and can't be recorded) every other route to Sky Sports involves paying a fortune for other TV you don't want.

Virgin is the worst for it - you have to buy literally every other channel that they offer, to get Sky Sports. And in some areas (including mine) they have a complete monopoly.

It's no wonder people buy dodgy boxes, when it's so hard to just pay for what you want. It's high time regulators stepped into this industry and de-coupled the supply chain.

I've no problem with Sky being rewarded directly for producing great sports coverage, but "supplying access" needs to go the way of energy, so there is choice/competition.

Prompted by the recent Virgin shambles on UKTV I looked into the market and I'm not convinced that all this "bundling" actually achieves any meaningful savings for users.

10 minutes ago, Olé said:

I agree that Sky's football coverage is excellent, and in of itself just about worth what they charge - my frustration is that what they charge for Sky Sports is not the end of it.

As far as I can tell, outside of NowTV (which has no red button, and can't be recorded) every other route to Sky Sports involves paying a fortune for other TV you don't want.

Virgin is the worst for it - you have to buy literally every other channel that they offer, to get Sky Sports. And in some areas (including mine) they have a complete monopoly.

It's no wonder people buy dodgy boxes, when it's so hard to just pay for what you want. It's high time regulators stepped into this industry and de-coupled the supply chain.

I've no problem with Sky being rewarded directly for producing great sports coverage, but "supplying access" needs to go the way of energy, so there is choice/competition.

Prompted by the recent Virgin shambles on UKTV I looked into the market and I'm not convinced that all this "bundling" actually achieves any meaningful savings for users.

I cannot give this enough likes.

It's like broadband, you also have to pay for a telephone landline rental even if you never use it or want it. There are probably people who just watch the TV packages and aren't interested in Sports or Movies, but we are subsidizing their viewing because we have to pay for it too to get what we want to watch.

That's the beauty of NOW TV as one just pays for the Sport and for the amount of time it is required be it a day or a month. But, as you rightly state, it has no red button facility and it cannot be recorded.

I was out the night City were at Sheffield United on Sky. As I couldn't record it, despite getting back about 11pm, I had to wait until the repeat at midnight with a 00.45 kick off to watch the game as if seeing it live in its entirety, and that with having had a drink or three. It was hard going and I succumbed at times. So much for giving the viewer greater choice to watch what they want to watch and when they want to watch it.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Spot on.

Sky's coverage of all sports is simply fantastic, especially football and cricket. The test match coverage is about as good as it gets. Top pundits with top guests - it's brilliant. Can hardly wait for Wednesday against India.

Whitlst I get some refusing to subscribe as a matter of principle, I couldn't be without it.

Agree

The cricket coverage and analysis and explanation of skills , the coaching sessions are fantastic

Played and watched cricket as long as football yet I learn something virtually every day with their pundits and experts

I also like UFC Speedway , darts , and these are MP now extensively and well covered on one or another 

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It's like broadband, you also have to pay for a telephone landline rental even if you never use it or want it. There are probably people who just watch the TV packages and aren't interested in Sports or Movies, but we are subsidizing their viewing because we have to pay for it too to get what we want to watch.

That's the beauty of NOW TV as one just pays for the Sport and for the amount of time it is required be it a day or a month. But, as you rightly state, it has no red button facility and it cannot be recorded.

I was out the night City were at Sheffield United on Sky. As I couldn't record it, despite getting back about 11pm, I had to wait until the repeat at midnight with a 00.45 kick off to watch the game as if seeing it live in its entirety, and that with having had a drink or three. It was hard going and I succumbed at times. So much for giving the viewer greater choice to watch what they want to watch and when they want to watch it.

I haven’t had Sky for years now. Largely on principle, but also because I used to just find myself falling asleep during the Sunday afternoon premier league games.!

Ive just bought a Now TV stick, so when I want it, I can just buy a pass for that period. 

Generally if City are on, I’ll be at the game anyway, or out down the pub watching it, but at least Now TV enables access if I ever want to watch something without needing sizeable monthly outgoings on something I’m not actually that fussed about watching (premier league) 

12 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

You’ve got that totally  and completely wrong !!!!!

The cost is a pain in the a***e

But......... I’ve wondered many more times with City whether I’m getting vfm out of my season ticket than I have ever done watching Sky

There are basic packages which all have to choose and pay for one then movies , sports etc are all add ins , so in fact it’s actually that the people who don’t want them don’t pay for them !

Anyone whose seen Football , cricket or F1 in Ultra HD via Sky would struggle to go back

** And don’t forget the reruns of The Big Match on BT :clap::yes:

Compared to the cost of cinemas , theatre , and even our season tickets etc etc it still represents total value , for me personally at least 

One of the last things I’d forsake 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Usual lazy journalism in that link though - it says the season kicks off on Friday 5 August....

It does kick off then though!

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

It is good news, would rather I could pay per view - would be happy to pay a premium for just the City games without taking a monthly subscription.

True. The way things are going it won’t be long before every league game is available to watch regardless of kick off time.

Had you said a couple of years ago that you could chose any midweek EFL game to watch I would never have believed it!

9 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

So BCTV saying pay-per-view for midweek away league games is £10 per game, but only for matches not on Sky. But I thought Sky saying all league games available midweek?

It means games that are the main Sky game. If it's on the red button, it will also be available on BCTV.

Screenshot_20180730-180906~2.png

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You’ve got that totally  and completely wrong !!!!!

The cost is a pain in the a***e

But......... I’ve wondered many more times with City whether I’m getting vfm out of my season ticket than I have ever done watching Sky

There are basic packages which all have to choose and pay for one then movies , sports etc are all add ins , so in fact it’s actually that the people who don’t want them don’t pay for them !

Anyone whose seen Football , cricket or F1 in Ultra HD via Sky would struggle to go back

** And don’t forget the reruns of The Big Match on BT :clap::yes:

Compared to the cost of cinemas , theatre , and even our season tickets etc etc it still represents total value , for me personally at least 

One of the last things I’d forsake 

I meant that even though people who only want the TV packages without add ons such as Sports and Movies do pay for it through the basic package, they are subsidized by Sports fans who pay for the add on, which they want, but also pay for the basic package which they don't necessarily want. So everyone is paying for the basic package even though some don't want it. So those that do want just the basic package are being subsidized by those that don't but have to have it to get the add ons they want. That's if I've got it right as I'm with BT not SKY. With BT I have to pay for a basic TV package with £5 a month on top for BT Sports. 

20 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

So BCTV saying pay-per-view for midweek away league games is £10 per game, but only for matches not on Sky. But I thought Sky saying all league games available midweek?

Isn’t this only for people living outside the uk..? Or has that changed now..?

In case anyone wonders which of our games this entails (away games in bold):

Tuesday 21st August - QPR (A)

Tuesday 18th September - West Brom (A)

Wednesday 3rd October - Rotherham (A)

Wednesday 24th October - Hull City (H)

Wednesday 28th November - Ipswich (A)

Wednesday 26th December - Brentford (H)

Tuesday 1st January - Stoke City (A)

Wednesday 13th February - QPR (H)

Tuesday 12th March - Ipswich Town (H)

Tuesday 9th April - West Brom (H)

I personally don't go to away games on Tuesday/Wednesday evenings, and I (relatively happily) pay for Sky each year, so this represents good news for me - look forward to watching the above games.

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I meant that even though people who only want the TV packages without add ons such as Sports and Movies do pay for it through the basic package, they are subsidized by Sports fans who pay for the add on, which they want, but also pay for the basic package which they don't necessarily want. So everyone is paying for the basic package even though some don't want it. So those that do want just the basic package are being subsidized by those that don't but have to have it to get the add ons they want. That's if I've got it right as I'm with BT not SKY. With BT I have to pay for a basic TV package with £5 a month on top for BT Sports. 

Think I’m with you !

I have Sky and BT thro Sky and the cost is getting silly (I had the original BSB / Sky in 92 and IIRC it was about £16 a month

But like everything else the cost goes up every time you turnaround

The only thing I would say is their presentation using the best well trained presenters enhances everything and I see it as a ‘treat’ - a top end Sports TV service

If I only had terrestrial,  Id be over the Gorge - Would have a choice of show jumping , Women’s triathlon from Manila or hockey !!!

:laughcont:

Archived