IGNORED

Are we ready for the season ahead?

Lew-T

GK aside, I still feel we’re missing a key element in a successful football team and that’s a little thing called leadership. I believe that was one of the main reasons for the poor end to the season and we haven’t really addressed it in my opinion. There’s still time in the window but LJ hasn’t really hinted as such to many more additions, apart from a keeper or two.

Definitely think we need an experienced leader in the middle of the park. I don’t see Pack, Smith or Brownhill fulfilling that type of role? I think they will worry more about their own games, which is fine as they’re quality footballers but we could do with somebody gathering the players when we’re under pressure, steady the ship etc. We looked mentally weak at times in the latter stage of last season and that was the biggest factor for me. 

So the question is, are we ready for the season ahead? Are we mentally and physically ready? We do look a little bit lightweight and I’m curious to see how we will fare against teams of Warnock’s tactics. Bolton, Rotherham, Wigan, Millwall, Sheff Utd etc.

Experienced head is needed for me, we’re a young and naive side but with talented footballers. Just a key element is missing I think.

7 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

A manager?

Snark aside this has to be LJ's last chance. Regardless of all the "Do more with less" talk there needs to be forward progress overall with not necessarily the same position in mind at Christmas, but very definitely a similar momentum. He may even be gone in January if we're sliding.

3 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Snark aside this has to be LJ's last chance. Regardless of all the "Do more with less" talk there needs to be forward progress overall with not necessarily the same position in mind at Christmas, but very definitely a similar momentum. He may even be gone in January if we're sliding.

Just slightly over dramatic, anything mid table and LJ will be here next season.

51 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Not one of LJ`s biggest fans myself (hard to believe I know) but I don't believe he is going anywhere...even if we go down......there`s a building plan thingy to do...and "we will go again" no doubt.

So sorry no chance he`s here for a while yet.

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

GK aside, I still feel we’re missing a key element in a successful football team and that’s a little thing called leadership. I believe that was one of the main reasons for the poor end to the season and we haven’t really addressed it in my opinion. There’s still time in the window but LJ hasn’t really hinted as such to many more additions, apart from a keeper or two.

Definitely think we need an experienced leader in the middle of the park. I don’t see Pack, Smith or Brownhill fulfilling that type of role? I think they will worry more about their own games, which is fine as they’re quality footballers but we could do with somebody gathering the players when we’re under pressure, steady the ship etc. We looked mentally weak at times in the latter stage of last season and that was the biggest factor for me. 

So the question is, are we ready for the season ahead? Are we mentally and physically ready? We do look a little bit lightweight and I’m curious to see how we will fare against teams of Warnock’s tactics. Bolton, Rotherham, Wigan, Millwall, Sheff Utd etc.

Experienced head is needed for me, we’re a young and naive side but with talented footballers. Just a key element is missing I think.

I feel exactly the same.. he said about leaders in April after the 5-5 draw with Hull. Still not rectified. 

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

We seem a bit open at corners and have many forwards with their goal-scoring credentials built on hope more than anything else; we will run till we drop...but will that be enough.

Don't believe we will match last seasons efforts or finishing position. Forest will be at us for sure but who knows ?

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Well, as you say to other posters....first world problems....

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

Last chance for what? 

27 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Not one of LJ`s biggest fans myself (hard to believe I know) but I don't believe he is going anywhere...even if we go down......there`s a building plan thingy to do...and "we will go again" no doubt.

So sorry no chance he`s here for a while yet.

12 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

We seem a bit open at corners and have many forwards with their goal-scoring credentials built on hope more than anything else; we will run till we drop...but will that be enough.

Don't believe we will match last seasons efforts or finishing position. Forest will be at us for sure but who knows ?

"Sorry- no chance - he's here for a while yet"- so you've firmly stated that he's not got your support or confidence.

And just explain exactly what you mean please as there is no such thing as a "goal scoring credential built on hope"

Pathetic stuff, imo, ..... half a new team, not a bad last season overall and brilliant in parts yet moaning anti Johnson sentiments on the eve of the new season. No doubt you guys may actually attend a match if we do well enough.... in your opinion.

Lose to Forest= season over.

18 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Last chance for what? 

"Sorry- no chance - he's here for a while yet"- so you've firmly stated that he's not got your support or confidence.

And just explain exactly what you mean please as there is no such thing as a "goal scoring credential built on hope"

Pathetic stuff, imo, ..... half a new team, not a bad last season overall and brilliant in parts yet moaning anti Johnson sentiments on the eve of the new season. No doubt you guys may actually attend a match if we do well enough.... in your opinion.

It gets tedious after a while reading such negative crap. We are clearly improving each year but still not good enough for some.

From where we were when we got promoted to now the club and squad have made huge strides. If only those who spout complete tosh would pause and reflect then they wouldn’t make themselves look complete idiots 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I keep seeing people saying we haven't got leaders. And you say Korey isn't one. Well who is if Korey isn't a leader? He shouts at his teammates all game and works his socks off. I'm not sure what else he can do to be called a leader. 

Love Korey and would have thought him Flint or even Joe Bryan might step up at the right time

As you say Korey certainly does on pitch

But if the various reports of Bobby Reid throwing his teddy down at Half Time v Brentford and all the players walking out head down (If true of course) that surprises and worries me

Somebody , anybody , should have stood up at that point and pulled the players together :, and (Only) if necessary  tell Bobby to shut up and go out and play his part , if necessary in blunt terms

48 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Last chance for what? 

Oh Bugger.

I've made no secret of my concern going forward. I do not feel we've made real great strides going forward with the quality of new signings this summer, more side stepping. 

Time will tell of course, I hope we have a solid season. Unlike the last two which took quite a turn!

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I keep seeing people saying we haven't got leaders. And you say Korey isn't one. Well who is if Korey isn't a leader? He shouts at his teammates all game and works his socks off. I'm not sure what else he can do to be called a leader. 

Thing is, we dont yet know if some of the new signings are leaders. LJ has said previously that his team lacked that type of player so would have undoubtedly considered that quality as part of his recruitment over the summer.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Love Korey and would have thought him Flint or even Joe Bryan might step up at the right time

As you say Korey certainly does on pitch

But if the various reports of Bobby Reid throwing his teddy down at Half Time v Brentford and all the players walking out head down (If true of course) that surprises and worries me

Somebody , anybody , should have stood up at that point and pulled the players together :, and (Only) if necessary  tell Bobby to shut up and go out and play his part , if necessary in blunt terms

Completely agree, IF that happened.......and none of us were there to know either way, then in my managing days he would have been replaced at HT - no question.

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Completely agree, IF that happened.......and none of us were there to know either way, then in my managing days he would have been replaced at HT - no question.

If it happened ( there’s certainly a fair bit of smoke) it struck me as one of those significant moments that somebody needs to take a grip of

(Tomlin and a couple of notable events spring back to mind)

Unless he sorted himself out quickly , personally , in that situation , I agree - would have told him to get showered

2 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Yes too true I know it was a premier league team friday but we tended to conceded a lot of corners

Whilst it would be nice to have a 31 year old Paul Hartley, I think people sometimes forget that each season that goes by, players naturally become more experienced.

Smith and Pack are seasoned Championship midfielders now. Both seem like leaders on the pitch, especially Pack. We’ve also seen Bryan with the captaincy in pre-season. I know he divides opinion on his ability, but the management team obviously see Bailey Wright as a leader too.

Jack Hunt and Weimann are very experienced at the level too.

We’ve lost Flint and Reid from the first team - I’m not convinced either of them were ‘leaders’ in the conventional sense. Reid didn’t seem particularly vocal on the pitch, and until last season was still viewed as a bit of a prospect. Flint seemed to berate is teammates a lot when things went badly, but I’m not sure he was the type to put his arm around someone or motivate the team in the way you’d expect a typical captain to do.

Obviously though I’m saying this with 0 inside knowledge of the dressing room, just what I can see as a fan so could be totally wrong.

12 hours ago, sephjnr said:

we've progressed every season under him so far

Regarding leaders, Flint was a huge influence but perhaps always not the best positive one.

I loved Flint, I really did,  but he was dominant. He had everyone’s ear, from his position in the dressing room and sprinting off the pitch so he was first in, often he could be seen talking in the prematch huddle too. He would get frustrated at himself and others, passionate positively and also negatively too.

Maybe now he has gone others will emerge and find a voice. 

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If it happened ( there’s certainly a fair bit of smoke) it struck me as one of those significant moments that somebody needs to take a grip of

Unless he sorted himself out quickly , personally , in that situation , I agree - would have told him to get showered

What is said and what goes on in the 'inner sanctum' of the changing room stay in the changing room and anything that gets out is speculation and rumour.

That said, we hear of bust ups, rows, managers ranting, players getting stroppy - just like many work places........

15 minutes ago, RedM said:

Regarding leaders, Flint was a huge influence but perhaps always not the best positive one.

I loved Flint, I really did,  but he was dominant. He had everyone’s ear, from his position in the dressing room and sprinting off the pitch so he was first in, often he could be seen talking in the prematch huddle too. He would get frustrated at himself and others, passionate positively and also negatively too.

Maybe now he has gone others will emerge and find a voice. 

thats a good point, and we got on alright without him last season at the start,

I don't think leadership is as important as experience. One of the reasons I think we duck out of games near the end of the season is because the side is spent on building up points. Some experience in the side would provide players that can tough it out near the latter end of the year, and can help drive players forward during a time when they might struggle for fitness.

We've been moving towards more experienced signings, and I reckon it's for that reason, but to answer the question I don't think we're ready yet. I think we need a first-team keeper and maybe an experienced defender that can ease our first-team players into the game - a Wilbrahim to our Abraham.

1 minute ago, EnderMB said:

I don't think leadership is as important as experience. One of the reasons I think we duck out of games near the end of the season is because the side is spent on building up points. Some experience in the side would provide players that can tough it out near the latter end of the year, and can help drive players forward during a time when they might struggle for fitness.

We've been moving towards more experienced signings, and I reckon it's for that reason, but to answer the question I don't think we're ready yet. I think we need a first-team keeper and maybe an experienced defender that can ease our first-team players into the game - a Wilbrahim to our Abraham.

the main stay of the side has 3 years or more experience in the championship and a hell of alot lot more as pro footballers, 

11 hours ago, Spoons said:

No. I'm in Spain thinking surely before I come home we would have signed a GK? 

Sounds like Max O'Leary might start Saturday. Big call.

Still shocked we haven't pulled off a signing considering we were in for a few.

perhaps we haven't signed another keeper because we don't need to, max looked pretty good to me against Bournemouth, perhaps lee thinks it's his time and he's ready for the step up. 

1 hour ago, fatchers said:

Won't be happy until a keeper and my season tickets arrive. 

still hasn't arrived? would be starting to panic a bit if I were you, mine arrived 5 days ago can't think of any reason yours would not be there by now.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

still hasn't arrived? would be starting to panic a bit if I were you, mine arrived 5 days ago can't think of any reason yours would not be there by know.

they were sent out in alphabetical order

Archived