IGNORED

Are we ready for the season ahead?

Lew-T

I really don't understand this constant talk of a lack of leaders. I think it was in the Joe Bryan interview after his game as captain in pre-season where he said he was trying to learn to become a leader looking at the likes of Korey and Marlon.

IMO if Joe Bryan, a player who has come up through the academy and come on in huge strides over the last few seasons, views Pack and Smith as leaders then surely the likelihood is the majority of the squad view them as leaders. I really don't see what many posters want in a leader, Korey would lose his voice if he was any more vocal, and both Pack and Korey have huge experience picked up from their time playing with us. 

Further to that this myth that Lee is "afraid of big names or strong players in the changing room" is unfounded imo. The only real "big name player" he has signed that hasn't worked out in the changing room is Tomlin- one that even Warnock couldn't tame. 

This season he has signed Wiemann, a player with huge experience including Prem games. On top of Jack Hunt, Marley Watkins and Webster- all Championship first teamers last season, that is plenty of Champipnship experience and leadership potential, especially considering our budget and inability to spend tens of millions on big name signings. Really don't think the bulk of players Johnson has brought into the side are "young and naive" as said in the OS.

I personally think, if we get a decent keeper, this transfer window has been pretty much as good as it gets with our resources.

17 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Last chance for what? 

"Sorry- no chance - he's here for a while yet"- so you've firmly stated that he's not got your support or confidence.correct

And just explain exactly what you mean please as there is no such thing as a "goal scoring credential built on hope" ok; We start the first game with our only double figure goal scorer left from last season, out for 6 weeks; have we found a lower div man to take up the slack from Bobby Rs 19 and Flints 8 goals???? well we hope we have but we start with our "goal scoring credentials built on hope"

Pathetic stuff, imo, ..... half a new team, not a bad last season overall and brilliant in parts yet moaning anti Johnson sentiments on the eve of the new season. No doubt you guys may actually attend a match if we do well enough.... in your opinion. dropping from 2nd on 26th Dec to a 11th place finish is due to one man trying to shoehorn in poor recruits into the team; Truly hope we improve on last season and get to play offs etc, etc, but don't believe for one second we will.....sorry if that upsets you.

Lose to Forest= season over. no-one said that apart from you

On 30/07/2018 at 20:22, JonDolman said:

I keep seeing people saying we haven't got leaders. And you say Korey isn't one. Well who is if Korey isn't a leader? He shouts at his teammates all game and works his socks off. I'm not sure what else he can do to be called a leader. 

I think he is a calm character, not necessarily a leader. I just feel we’re missing something, particularly in the middle of the park.

Great pairing of course but perhaps a different type of player is needed?

12 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I think he is a calm character, not necessarily a leader. I just feel we’re missing something, particularly in the middle of the park.

Great pairing of course but perhaps a different type of player is needed?

Not so sure

Little terrier when he gets on pitch and I’ve  seen him give a fair few , including Flint , an earful !!!     and plenty a gee up a

On 30/07/2018 at 22:20, INCRED said:

It gets tedious after a while reading such negative crap. We are clearly improving each year but still not good enough for some.

From where we were when we got promoted to now the club and squad have made huge strides. If only those who spout complete tosh would pause and reflect then they wouldn’t make themselves look complete idiots 

I agree incred.

However, while we have made huge strides since promotion, what is undeniable is that in successive seasons we've gone from ridiculous to sublime  and then from sublime to ridiculous, in half season cycles. It is these wild lurches, from one extreme to the other, that concern some fans including, I suspect, many who are broadly in favour of the club's strategy and progress.

To cement progress for this season, and to be seen to be making progress,  I do think LJ needs to manage a more consistent season, with no major swings in fortune, such as experienced over the last 2 seasons. I also think he needs/could do with a decent start to the season, as something akin to the start we experienced 2 seasons ago might stretch even SL's patience.

12 hours ago, Williams' Penalty said:

I really don't understand this constant talk of a lack of leaders. I think it was in the Joe Bryan interview after his game as captain in pre-season where he said he was trying to learn to become a leader looking at the likes of Korey and Marlon.

IMO if Joe Bryan, a player who has come up through the academy and come on in huge strides over the last few seasons, views Pack and Smith as leaders then surely the likelihood is the majority of the squad view them as leaders. I really don't see what many posters want in a leader, Korey would lose his voice if he was any more vocal, and both Pack and Korey have huge experience picked up from their time playing with us. 

Further to that this myth that Lee is "afraid of big names or strong players in the changing room" is unfounded imo. The only real "big name player" he has signed that hasn't worked out in the changing room is Tomlin- one that even Warnock couldn't tame. 

This season he has signed Wiemann, a player with huge experience including Prem games. On top of Jack Hunt, Marley Watkins and Webster- all Championship first teamers last season, that is plenty of Champipnship experience and leadership potential, especially considering our budget and inability to spend tens of millions on big name signings. Really don't think the bulk of players Johnson has brought into the side are "young and naive" as said in the OS.

I personally think, if we get a decent keeper, this transfer window has been pretty much as good as it gets with our resources.

Points well made.

Just coming back to the latter part of last season, I just didn’t see anybody take responsibility when things were going against us. Was a little too easy at times!

Baker and Flint would often look at the midfield, Pack would then look back in confusion with his arms out. 

We could have found that missing element this summer, we’ll wait and see.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not so sure

Little terrier when he gets on pitch and I’ve  seen him give a fair few , including Flint , an earful !!!     and plenty a gee up a

Think I just want a nasty bastard in amongst our midfield. Aron Gunnarsson will do! 

On 30/07/2018 at 20:18, hodge said:

Just slightly over dramatic, anything mid table and LJ will be here next season.

I got booed on the other season prediction thread for suggesting LJ might not be here at the end of 18/19, but even I think he could make a case for staying on with a 13-17th finish.  (Note: I'm not saying I agree with that! :cool2: )

I think the only way Lansdown will jettison him would be yet another prolonged winless streak or a bouncing around the drop zone in January scenario.

17 hours ago, RedM said:

Regarding leaders, Flint was a huge influence but perhaps always not the best positive one.

I loved Flint, I really did,  but he was dominant. He had everyone’s ear, from his position in the dressing room and sprinting off the pitch so he was first in, often he could be seen talking in the prematch huddle too. He would get frustrated at himself and others, passionate positively and also negatively too.

Maybe now he has gone others will emerge and find a voice. 

I think you are right.  Difficult for some players to argue with a talisman like Flint.  Even us fans (to some extent) don’t want to criticise him, and hide behind his goals, etc.

I’ve critiqued his defending many times, and also praised his year on year improvement.

There are some good things to come from his transfer, and I think you raise the main one about his influence.

Another area is, his annoyance when a set piece wasn’t aimed his way.  In the second half of the season, every ball was aimed at him...and if it wasn’t he’d berate the deliverer.  That’s not good imho.  His role at times should be to take his marker away from the intended flight oath to create space for the runs of others.

We will miss him, in many scenarios, but I sneakily wonder whether our set pieces might be more effective this season?

Probably not so important in the grand scheme of things, but on the subject of are we ready for the new season - with three days to our first match the official website squad section fails to mention any of the players we have signed this summer (and we don't know their squad numbers either).

Can't think what has changed in the media department this summer ? (and on a matter of trivia the website club records section says that our record signing is Jonathan Kodjia)

31 minutes ago, Olé said:

Probably not so important in the grand scheme of things, but on the subject of are we ready for the new season - with three days to our first match the official website squad section fails to mention any of the players we have signed this summer (and we don't know their squad numbers either).

Can't think what has changed in the media department this summer ? (and on a matter of trivia the website club records section says that our record signing is Jonathan Kodjia)

Well that would be on Baker’s watch. Means it was out of date for nearly 3 years! 

21 hours ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Marlon Pack is our leader. New long term contract signed and the respect of the senior pros. I dont think our Club Captain has been announced?

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think you are right.  Difficult for some players to argue with a talisman like Flint.  Even us fans (to some extent) don’t want to criticise him, and hide behind his goals, etc.

I’ve critiqued his defending many times, and also praised his year on year improvement.

There are some good things to come from his transfer, and I think you raise the main one about his influence.

Another area is, his annoyance when a set piece wasn’t aimed his way.  In the second half of the season, every ball was aimed at him...and if it wasn’t he’d berate the deliverer.  That’s not good imho.  His role at times should be to take his marker away from the intended flight oath to create space for the runs of others.

We will miss him, in many scenarios, but I sneakily wonder whether our set pieces might be more effective this season?

Absolutely with you regarding the set pieces. I wrote on here near the end of the season that we had become too predictable and therefore less effective. We all knew the ball was going to be aimed at him every time, and if we knew that so did the opposition who acted on this. Yes I wanted to see a bit of variation and your point is good that we might see it.

It will be quite interesting to see how he does at ‘Boro, I very much doubt if he will get the ‘control’ of the dresssing room he had here, and he certainly did, and being the newbie he won’t have the respect of the other players yet. I’m not sure that without those ,and the price tag to live up to, that he won’t struggle for a while. Certainly a case of the grass isn’t always greener but maybe the money is. 

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

Marlon Pack is our leader. New long term contract signed and the respect of the senior pros. I dont think our Club Captain has been announced?

Korey and Pack are now ‘roomies’, so Captain and Vice Captain?  But where does that leave Bailey Wright, can’t see it being taken from him unless he’s given it up? 

Archived