IGNORED

Football Manager - 1989 season!

Silvio Dante

Inspired by a conversation with a work colleague last night about how Football/Championship manager isn’t as good as it was, and harking after the 2000(ish) version, stumbled across this on the net last night:

https://cm8990.wordpress.com/

Basically, somebody has recreated the CM2001 version but using the squads from 1989-90. Now, if someone can tell me who Dave Dyson is, I’m off to play...

F532EB4F-0403-4D33-BCB3-D894673E844C.png

It just isn't as good as it was.  I had the 1994 version which was the peak IMO.  I bought the ?1998 version and it was so slow because of the pointless add-ons like commentary from John Motson so I went back to the 1994 version.

I play the 1993 version these days for variety, not quite as good as 1994 but the players are slightly different, and have to remember to list Nicky Morgan day 1 as he will only want to leave for first team football later anyway.

Love CM01/02. I'd be a bit lost playing an 89/90 season though as I wouldn't be able to sell Kevin Amankwaah and Marvin Brown for about £1m each straight away to fund moves for Kennedy Bakircioglu (275k minimum release clause), Jonas Lundun and Taribo West on a free transfer!

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Inspired by a conversation with a work colleague last night about how Football/Championship manager isn’t as good as it was, and harking after the 2000(ish) version, stumbled across this on the net last night:

https://cm8990.wordpress.com/

Basically, somebody has recreated the CM2001 version but using the squads from 1989-90. Now, if someone can tell me who Dave Dyson is, I’m off to play...

F532EB4F-0403-4D33-BCB3-D894673E844C.png

Bet Llewellyn always stole a few yards taking free kicks.

And don't get me started on Bromage over Bailey! ??

Excellent post - many thanks @Silvio Dante. I recall many a misspent hour competing with my kids on an early 2000s version of CM. An early signing of the young Zlatan Ibrahimovic saw City rise to European glory. I resigned in about 2006 when we'd won the league for the second or third time, won the European Championship and won the World Club Championship. As I recall Matt Hill broke the club appearance record and was an England regular. The day they built a statue of me outside the Gate I knew it was time to quit...

Loved that 89-90 side

And .....Dave Smith

?

Whenever his name comes up I get flashbacks to some breathtaking moments he delivered

For somebody who wasn’t with us that long - Right up there with any City player I’ve ever seen where you catch your breath when the ball went to him and regularly literally got people off their seats with one of his afterburner moments and occasionally the hammer of a left foot

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Loved that 89-90 side

And .....Dave Smith

?

Whenever his name comes up I get flashbacks to some breathtaking moments he delivered

For somebody who wasn’t with us that long - Right up there with any City player I’ve ever seen where you catch your breath when the ball went to him and regularly literally got people off their seats with one of his afterburner moments and occasionally the hammer of a left foot

Smith had a bit of a thankless task in that he had to hit the ground running (no pun intended) as he was Walshies replacement. In a way it really helped that he was a different kind of player - pace as opposed to sleight - and the fact we had Gav on the opposite wing gave such a good balance. We didn’t in the end miss AW at all which is testament to how good Smith was that year

Remember Ian Alexander couldn’t handle him and had to take him out every challenge - on the rare occasions he could catch him...

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Smith had a bit of a thankless task in that he had to hit the ground running (no pun intended) as he was Walshies replacement. In a way it really helped that he was a different kind of player - pace as opposed to sleight - and the fact we had Gav on the opposite wing gave such a good balance. We didn’t in the end miss AW at all which is testament to how good Smith was that year

Remember Ian Alexander couldn’t handle him and had to take him out every challenge - on the rare occasions he could catch him...

Dave Smith is extremely significant in terms of the very much Now Bristol City , The New Ashton Gate etc etc

Im sure it won’t take long for somebody to get it ......

There is something about that 89/90 team that always brings back great memories especially for me who was not old enough to go to the gate when they got promoted in 76. A truly classic season with a great team going toe to toe with rovers every week for top spot in the league .how times have changed............

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Loved that 89-90 side

And .....Dave Smith

?

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

We could really attack with pace through Smithy, and I have never seen anyone cross so well at pace. Great with Gavin on the other side, completely different winger. Great team to watch.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Anyone fancy a poke at this bit of City trivia ?

;)

I’ve been racking my brains from the fact that Smith played for Gillingham before us, and we must have funded the ground from games v them alone, to the fact that he looked like a brickie and could have built it, but my left field answer is...

Was he Jon Lansdowns favourite player as a kid/scored in his first game??

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ve been racking my brains from the fact that Smith played for Gillingham before us, and we must have funded the ground from games v them alone, to the fact that he looked like a brickie and could have built it, but my left field answer is...

Was he Jon Lansdowns favourite player as a kid/scored in his first game??

Top man

:clap:

Smithy scored the winner in a 1-0 win over Bury at AG 

This was the game where young Jon Lansdown wanted to go to a game 

Steve Lansdown knew Des Williams professionally and didn’t want to trail to Twerpton where Rovers were playing so , with some tickets from Des brought Jon to AG

Smithy scored , City win , and Jon got the bug meaning Dad and Jon became regular visitors recently and the rest followed 

Archived