IGNORED

Your top three most exciting City signings ever

Major Isewater

Just a bit of fun , did you tremble over Tomlin ? Jump for joy over James ?

Whch three City signings got you most excited when you heard about them ? tell us why as well please.

1. Norman Hunter .

Ol' ' Bites yer legs ' was the talisman of the great Leeds Utd side of the seventies and an England international to boot. I couldn't believe that he would come to us in what would surely have been a tough first season back in the First Division.

His signing made me believe that we could stay up .

2. Lee Tomlin .

Yes , I know how it ended up but after his successful loan spell to actually get him on a permanent deal , for me , was a sign that City were serious players in the Championship. 3 million was a massive fee for us and I couldn't wait to see his dazzling skills light up our club .

3. Joe Royle.

We struggled to score after the Cheese was crocked and the search for a replacement number 9 seemed to last forever. It was looking dodgy for our hopes of survival when up pops this guy .

A classy forward with experience at Everton and Man City.

A huge sigh of relief was heard around Ashton Gate as he put pen to paper.

Four goals on his debut didn't hurt either.

Well I'm sure I've forgotten loads, over to you lot .

1. Andy Cole. After the initial loan spell, didn’t think we had a hope of getting him permanently. That we did, and had Jacki and Rosenior ready to form an attacking trio which would in theory be the best in the league was something special

2. David James. Ended badly, and way past his best, but it was England’s WC keeper - remember the thread on here. Been no hysteria at that level since

3. Evander Sno. After that Ajax friendly and the standing ovation, couldn’t wait. Again, didn’t happen the way we hoped

Lesson from all the above - anticipation has a habit to set you up for disappointment!

David James

Evander Sno

(Everything that Silvio Dante says about them)

Danny Rose - after ‘that’ performance vs Arsenal I expected great things. Sadly the disinterested **** spent most of his time sat on his @rse crying for free kicks that weren’t given. 

Amazing that he would push on like he has - I wouldn’t let him make the tea!!

Hunter & Royle from the old first division days stand out.

For me in more recent times, when we got Akinbiyi after promotion - just a shame we spend all our cash on 3 strikers instead of signing 2 and replacing Shaun Taylor.

Also, and I suspect controversially on here,  when Cotts signed Luke Freeman. For me at the time that was a stand-out signing, I never thought we would make.

Good thread

1) Lee Trundle

Felt like a huge signing at the time, brilliant player. Shame we barely ever got the best out of him. @Major Isewater his fee was 1m though not 3m.

2) Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

I had always seriously rated him. Felt he was a huge coup for us as a newly relegated side.

3) Kodjia

Felt very exciting. Didn't know anything about him, but the highlight reel looked great and it was our first big foreign signing in ages.

I only go back to 1982, so for me -

1. David James - seemed a huge signing at the time and really felt the club was moving to 'Premiership level'. Real shame it didn't work out.

2. Steve Coppell - as above

3. Marcus Stewart - I really believed he was going to hit 20+ goals a season for the 2-3 seasons he'd play for us. Also felt like a slap in the face for the Gas which is always nice. 

1. David James - for obvious reasons

2. Taylor Moore - played in the top flight of French football, England youth captain, on the books of Spurs and West Ham iirc - thought he could become the next Bobby Moore. Maybe he will, would love to see him get minutes this year.

3. Evander Sno - very impressive as Ajax beat us 4-0 at the Gate. Although I wonder if at times we confused him with Urby Emmanuelson...

Honourable mention to Matty the snake Taylor! Even better when he scored and assisted two vs Derby away

Great post idea! Made me think ... 

1) Ralph Milne - as I think it was the first player city had brought who was in one of my panini sticker albums from Man U . 

2) David James - like everyone else has said 

3) Marcus Stewart - genuine proven goal scorer , city fan , ex gas- what could do wrong ?!

i also think I’m less surprised by signings these days due to the build up by social media / sightings / gossip etc where as the above 3 felt genuinely impressive 

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good thread

1) Lee Trundle

Felt like a huge signing at the time, brilliant player. Shame we barely ever got the best out of him. @Major Isewater his fee was 1m though not 3m.

2) Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

I had always seriously rated him. Felt he was a huge coup for us as a newly relegated side.

3) Kodjia

Felt very exciting. Didn't know anything about him, but the highlight reel looked great and it was our first big foreign signing in ages.

You're confuddling Lee Tomlin of my post with Lee Trundle of yours I believe ? 

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You're confuddling Lee Tomlin of my post with Lee Trundle of yours I believe ? 

Uncanny though how similar they were as players, and to both share the name Lee, the initials LT, both like to eat a few too many pies, and both have some type of issue with a Johnson; it really boggles the mind.

15 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You have all ignored, forgotten or just did not think of the best signing we have ever made. JOHN ATYEO. 

He signed in 1951 so most of us would not of known this as a signing but as a player already at the club I saw my 1st match in 1958 so would say Norman Hunter , Joe Royle & joe Jordan.

Joe Jordan - always remember watching him warm up from the Dolman on his debut at the gate. He oozed professionalism from playing at the top level which we hadn’t seen before in my opinion. Remember getting glimpses of him in the fog on ‘that day’ back in Div 1, so for us to secure a player of that quality was rare and exciting - even if he was in the autumn of his career.

Andy Cole - for all the reasons mentioned previously

And coming back to recent times, Tammy Abraham..Chelsea letting us nurture one for the future - how times were changing. Would he be any good....or a dud? Trepid anticipation of a football fan always believing but old enough to know that it’s normally futile!

Anyway - that one worked and delivered the results to match the original anticipation.

Wonder who will be the next one who causes the same stir - as it’s not currently on the horizon and becoming visible....

Over to Mark Ashton....or maybe the next Mark Ashton!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Just a bit of fun , did you tremble over Tomlin ? Jump for joy over James ?

Whch three City signings got you most excited when you heard about them ? tell us why as well please.

1. Norman Hunter .

Ol' ' Bites yer legs ' was the talisman of the great Leeds Utd side of the seventies and an England international to boot. I couldn't believe that he would come to us in what would surely have been a tough first season back in the First Division.

His signing made me believe that we could stay up .

2. Lee Tomlin .

Yes , I know how it ended up but after his successful loan spell to actually get him on a permanent deal , for me , was a sign that City were serious players in the Championship. 3 million was a massive fee for us and I couldn't wait to see his dazzling skills light up our club .

3. Joe Royle.

We struggled to score after the Cheese was crocked and the search for a replacement number 9 seemed to last forever. It was looking dodgy for our hopes of survival when up pops this guy .

A classy forward with experience at Everton and Man City.

A huge sigh of relief was heard around Ashton Gate as he put pen to paper.

Four goals on his debut didn't hurt either.

Well I'm sure I've forgotten loads, over to you lot .

I think your memories of Joe Royle are a little askew, for when you said we struggled to score after Cheese was crocked you are correct (except for beating Sunderland 4-1 a few weeks later). However, the same could be said for Joe Royle as we still struggled to score with him in the side after his initial flurry v Middlesbrough. You also say it was looking dodgy for our hopes of survival until he popped up, but we did survive our first season without the crocked Cheese, 76-77, and Royle didn't join us until the following season (November 77 to be precise). He was a great player, granted, but in the two full seasons he spent with us, one of them we were relegated!

As for the 3 signings I was most excited by:

1. Norman Hunter.

2. Andy Cole - couldn't believe Arsenal let him go. He was electric in his loan period and alongside Leroy saved us from relegation quite handily when we looked odds on for the drop. So, it wasn't like it was under the radar. Thought we had little chance of signing him permanently for this reason. Can only think Arsenal and the whole of football, except us, went to sleep during the summer.

3. Jackie Dzieckovski (forgotten how to spell his last name) - The Polish George Best. We have rarely been linked with signing such maverick, crowd pleasing talents in our history let alone actually getting the deal done.

8 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I think your memories of Joe Royle are a little askew, for when you said we struggled to score after Cheese was crocked you are correct (except for beating Sunderland 4-1 a few weeks later). However, the same could be said for Joe Royle as we still struggled to score with him in the side after his initial flurry v Middlesbrough. You also say it was looking dodgy for our hopes of survival until he popped up, but we did survive our first season without the crocked Cheese, 76-77, and Royle didn't join us until the following season (November 77 to be precise). He was a great player, granted, but in the two full seasons he spent with us, one of them we were relegated!

As for the 3 signings I was most excited by:

1. Norman Hunter.

2. Andy Cole - couldn't believe Arsenal let him go. He was electric in his loan period and alongside Leroy saved us from relegation quite handily when we looked odds on for the drop. So, it wasn't like it was under the radar. Thought we had little chance of signing him permanently for this reason. Can only think Arsenal and the whole of football, except us, went to sleep during the summer.

3. Jackie Dzieckovski (forgotten how to spell his last name) - The Polish George Best. We have rarely been linked with signing such maverick, crowd pleasing talents in our history let alone actually getting the deal done.

Nobody knew that we'd still struggle to score with Royle on board so I was excited by the signing for the reasons that I gave equally the one you have commented on that we didn't sign him until the following November.

We'd waited so long that added to the joy.

Archived