IGNORED

Your top three most exciting City signings ever

Major Isewater

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Putting your ' joke ' post to one side , this actually was quite an exciting signing .

He was a cracking prospect having notched so many goals in Egypt and was a hero of the national team . 

So left field for us . 

Agreed, hence sweary emoji

I think a few people have mid-read the thread and have quoted players who were certainly excellent having played for City, but some were relatively unknown before they played for City and we hardly batted an eyelid when their arrivals were announced at the time....i.e. Andy Cole and Bob Taylor.

For me it has to be 2 players from our first season back in the First Division. 

1) Norman Hunter - Vastly experienced left sided defender with both Leeds and England. He arrived with a fearsome “bites yer legs” reputation and this was a massive signing for City. Anyone who was lucky enough to see Norman play at City knew instantly that he was absolute class! His experience, strength and work ethic pretty much helped keep City up that season, along with important goals from....

2) Chris Garland - It was a homecoming for a guy who had started his career at City and left to become a household name at Chelsea, and had pretty much kept Leicester City in the First Division before coming home to score vital goals against Leeds, Liverpool and Man Utd as well as setting up City’s equaliser in the vital survival decider away at Coventry.

3) Jacki Dziekanowski - I had watched him on TV playing for Celtic in Europe and remember him scoring 4 goals in that game. He looked awesome and I was very excited when he signed. When he was on his game he was mercurial and his skills were sublime. A real maverick who would have left Tomlin for dust. Unfortunately with all Mavericks he was mostly a luxury and we ended up carrying him more often than not. His off-field antics didn’t exactly help his cause either, but he was absolutely top drawer in terms of ability, and he was well known ‘before’ he arrived at Ashton Gate.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Chris Crowe. England forward. High hopes. Never quite lived up to promise

But there was that one magical game when he took Preston apart and we won 4-1........... ? and you would be paying millions for a winger who scored  13 goals in 67 matches these days!

David James (England + PL experience) 

Paul Hartley (Champions League caps) 

Sam Baldock (taken from a PL team) 

Then, there are other players which I'd divide into two categories: 

1) players with PL bounds = Rose & Caulker, Wilbraham, Adebola,Cunningham,Sno, Tomlin,Abraham,O'Neil, W.Elliott, ... 

2) Championship or lower league players who seemed promising from Youtube highlights or web comments  ? : JET,Freeman,Adomah,Kilkenny,Noble,Trundle,Kilkenny,Baker,  ...

As a young 'un it's probably

1) David James

2) Lee Tomlin

3) Famara Diedhiou (surprised I've not seen this mentioned before. All time record signing on a striker from France in electric form. Was buzzing when he came in)

Emad Meteb was genuinely exciting at the time off the back of a great season prior. The photo of him holding the shirt got the pulse racing! Even after he went back and played his “farewell”game I was hoping we would brush that under the carpet and let him join us!

Tammy was also exciting, 18 years old and coming with a glowing reputation which he more than lived up to. Always exciting to sign the next big thing even on loan.

Nick Carle was another when we signed him. Attacking midfielder, Aussie international. Still believe we never replaced him when he left.

1. Hugh Mclmoyle 1966, one of the best and most consistent goalscorer's in the lower divisions, sadly was absolutely dire for us, never looked interested.

2. Peter Cormack 1976, signed carrying an injury that had plagued him at Liverpool but and continued during his time with us but he played through the pain, a cultured footballer and the type of midfielder we could do with now, could pick a pass to unlock defences and had an eye for goal.

3. Shaun Taylor 1996, sadly should have been 10 years earlier in my estimation, but what a leader, only Flint comes close in recent history.

3 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I think a few people have mid-read the thread and have quoted players who were certainly excellent having played for City, but some were relatively unknown before they played for City and we hardly batted an eyelid when their arrivals were announced at the time....i.e. Andy Cole and Bob Taylor.

For me it has to be 2 players from our first season back in the First Division. 

1) Norman Hunter - Vastly experienced left sided defender with both Leeds and England. He arrived with a fearsome “bites yer legs” reputation and this was a massive signing for City. Anyone who was lucky enough to see Norman play at City knew instantly that he was absolute class! His experience, strength and work ethic pretty much helped keep City up that season, along with important goals from....

2) Chris Garland - It was a homecoming for a guy who had started his career at City and left to become a household name at Chelsea, and had pretty much kept Leicester City in the First Division before coming home to score vital goals against Leeds, Liverpool and Man Utd as well as setting up City’s equaliser in the vital survival decider away at Coventry.

3) Jacki Dziekanowski - I had watched him on TV playing for Celtic in Europe and remember him scoring 4 goals in that game. He looked awesome and I was very excited when he signed. When he was on his game he was mercurial and his skills were sublime. A real maverick who would have left Tomlin for dust. Unfortunately with all Mavericks he was mostly a luxury and we ended up carrying him more often than not. His off-field antics didn’t exactly help his cause either, but he was absolutely top drawer in terms of ability, and he was well known ‘before’ he arrived at Ashton Gate.

Re Andy Cole

I don’t know about others but I was thinking when we signed him after he had blown us away in his loan spell

Still the best loanee I’ve ever seen at AG and anyone watching him on loan realised he was levels above us and I was gobsmacked when we managed to sign him permanently 

That’s was borne out for the rest of the career - Has to be up there with the most sucessful careers any player who has come through City has ever add

Mr Atyeo will always rightly have that accolade , Wedlock (Anyone remember him :laugh: ) but Cole must be not far behind career  wise

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

1. Andy Cole. After the initial loan spell, didn’t think we had a hope of getting him permanently. That we did, and had Jacki and Rosenior ready to form an attacking trio which would in theory be the best in the league was something special

2. David James. Ended badly, and way past his best, but it was England’s WC keeper - remember the thread on here. Been no hysteria at that level since

3. Evander Sno. After that Ajax friendly and the standing ovation, couldn’t wait. Again, didn’t happen the way we hoped

Lesson from all the above - anticipation has a habit to set you up for disappointment!

Got to agree with James and Sno. Both not only shocked City fans but the rest of the country as well. Amazing stuff.

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

in no particular order......brian Mitchell   tony dinning    scott mcgarvey

certainly got me off me seat...….

I have to confess that I was pretty excited when Tony Dinning signed - he'd looked like a good player during his loan spell. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned Nicky Hunt (shudder) yet, but I'm sure I remember posts on this forum greeting his signing with excitement and hoping he would be an upgrade on Bradley Orr because of his 100+ Premier League games.

As for David James his signing did cause lots of excitement, but I remember feeling sceptical and thinking that his high wages could be better spent. For once I think I was right.

David James:

He had just played in the World Cup and was signing for us!

I liked James and, although prone to a few mistakes, he was a very good keeper. Not many keepers save two penalties in a match but James did.

Tony Rougier:

I always rated him. He single handidly destroyed us with his attacking prowess earlier on in the season for Brentford nylons (I think) and when I heard we'd signed him I was over the moon.

Ade Akinbiyi:

He was terrorising every team he came up against so to get him with the money we splashed out I thought that was it, we've arrived.

Over the years not many transfers have honestly excited me, mainly because we've not been in the position to buy 'names'. Hunter was different, as was Cole making the move permanent , as someone who had Everton as a second team Joe Royal was very exciting and Jackie was up there. But as a few have said, Chris Garland coming home was special . Akinbye should be mentioned in dispatches.

Archived