IGNORED

Your top three most exciting City signings ever

Major Isewater

David James - Already explained by others. Who wasn't going crazy? 

Sam Baldock - At the time we'd just lost Maynard and I considered Baldock to be the better player)

Marlon Pack  -Only for the fact I wanted City to sign him for years before we did. I convinced myself that my wishing had something to do with it.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Over the years not many transfers have honestly excited me, mainly because we've not been in the position to buy 'names'. Hunter was different, as was Cole making the move permanent , as someone who had Everton as a second team Joe Royal was very exciting and Jackie was up there. But as a few have said, Chris Garland coming home was special . Akinbye should be mentioned in dispatches.

It can’t be long (12_18 months ?) before he joined us that Royle had been Dons Revie selection choice for  a few England Caps 

Was a real big signing for us 

Remember bouncing around in EE to ‘Ohhhh Joeyyyy stay with us’ as , socks around his ankles and completely knackred , he rolled in his fourth against Boro on his loan debut (22 Nov 77) 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It can’t be long (12_18 months ?) before he joined us that Royle had been Dons Revie selection choice for  a few England Caps 

Remember bouncing around in EE to ‘Ohhhh Joeyyyy stay with us’ as , socks around his ankles and completely knackred , he rolled in his fourth against Boro on his loan debut (22 Nov 77) 

Shame he seemed to go about 6 months before he scored again, absolutely loved him leading the line though and that debut was amazing. Remember singing Royle is better than Channon , who replaced him at Man City.

Alan Walsh (Big signing after 2 years of austerity) Andy Cole (Class) and Marcus Stewart (Not class for us)   Special mention to Marley Watkins, nice to see a former Bath City player joining us. Still wonder why we never went for Paul Bodin, he even played against us twice and looked good.

8 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I think a few people have mid-read the thread and have quoted players who were certainly excellent having played for City, but some were relatively unknown before they played for City and we hardly batted an eyelid when their arrivals were announced at the time....i.e. Andy Cole and Bob Taylor.

For me it has to be 2 players from our first season back in the First Division. 

1) Norman Hunter - Vastly experienced left sided defender with both Leeds and England. He arrived with a fearsome “bites yer legs” reputation and this was a massive signing for City. Anyone who was lucky enough to see Norman play at City knew instantly that he was absolute class! His experience, strength and work ethic pretty much helped keep City up that season, along with important goals from....

2) Chris Garland - It was a homecoming for a guy who had started his career at City and left to become a household name at Chelsea, and had pretty much kept Leicester City in the First Division before coming home to score vital goals against Leeds, Liverpool and Man Utd as well as setting up City’s equaliser in the vital survival decider away at Coventry.

3) Jacki Dziekanowski - I had watched him on TV playing for Celtic in Europe and remember him scoring 4 goals in that game. He looked awesome and I was very excited when he signed. When he was on his game he was mercurial and his skills were sublime. A real maverick who would have left Tomlin for dust. Unfortunately with all Mavericks he was mostly a luxury and we ended up carrying him more often than not. His off-field antics didn’t exactly help his cause either, but he was absolutely top drawer in terms of ability, and he was well known ‘before’ he arrived at Ashton Gate.

Speak for yourself....I was very excited about Andy Cole.  Denis Smith toldus he was an exciting prospect and he’d come from Arsenal too....that was exciting (for me).

Alan Walsh - remembered him playing against us and then to get such quality on a small fee via a tribunal. Turned into one of my favourite ever players.

Andy Cole - after what he did on loan to pretty much keep us up (think 8 goals on 12 games or such like), to then sign him was great.

Ade Akinbiyi - he had been making a real reputation for himself and paying what we did for him felt like a real statement of intent.

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Re Andy Cole

I don’t know about others but I was thinking when we signed him after he had blown us away in his loan spell

Still the best loanee I’ve ever seen at AG and anyone watching him on loan realised he was levels above us and I was gobsmacked when we managed to sign him permanently 

That’s was borne out for the rest of the career - Has to be up there with the most sucessful careers any player who has come through City has ever add

Mr Atyeo will always rightly have that accolade , Wedlock (Anyone remember him :laugh: ) but Cole must be not far behind career  wise

You are right in terms of his signing after his loan. I guess I am being a little pedantic. When he first arrived as a loan player, no-one had heard of him. He would have been in my top 3 otherwise.

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Joe Royle actually put the ball in the net 5 times against Middlesbrough but one was disallowed. What a debut!

JJ for some backbone we had lacked since my next choice. Class professional class striker and target man. Class as a person.

NH and some, he could actually play football something many of us hadn’t realised, probably because previously he was surrounded by them. Gave 100% and gave the team confidence 

PH what a footballer had it all but mainly the brain to match his ability. I only wish he had stayed longer and maybe taken over from GJ

12 hours ago, Dolman Original said:

Chris Crowe

Bobby Gould

Norman Hunter

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Gould. Although he's not fondly remembered now, at the time of his signing he was a very big deal for us. An established first division striker and a bit of a name who actually went back into division one when he left us for West Ham. Shame things didn't work out too well.....accusing Gerry Gow of not trying??

Don' think I've seen him mentioned yet, and I listed my initial three on page one, but having now remembered him I would change one of them for Sean Dyche. Another player that had a very good reputation and was quite sought after when we signed him but, for various reasons, turned out a disappointment.

ooh, and Ivan Testimetanu as well.

I think I would include both of those, so the three signings I can remember being most excited by are now Sean Dyche, Ivan Testimetanu and David James

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

JJ for some backbone we had lacked since my next choice. Class professional class striker and target man. Class as a person.

NH and some, he could actually play football something many of us hadn’t realised, probably because previously he was surrounded by them. Gave 100% and gave the team confidence 

PH what a footballer had it all but mainly the brain to match his ability. I only wish he had stayed longer and maybe taken over from GJ

I agree with Big Joe - but can’t concur with your comments on Nicky Hunt and Paul Holland....

1. Joe Royle - not initially, but after scoring 4 on his debut, I thought we were heading for the stars (he didn't score again for about 2 months). Next day he turned up in my local newsagents wearing a huge fur coat. Ridiculous, yet undoubtedly the most glamorous thing I (or frankly anyone in Congresbury) had ever seen.

2.Norman Hunter - loved everything about the bloke, then and since. Still do.

3. Andy Cole - talent to burn. Cooled a bit on him after he left and published his auto, but more recently have really admired the way he's coped with his medical situation. 

Norman Hunter - a really huge name that everyone in football had heard of (and he didn`t disappoint)

Jon Stead - I`d been banging on for years that we should sign him and was Mr. Smug when we finally did

Shaun Taylor - we should have signed him from Exeter where he was outstanding but we got him in the end

I`d add Luke Freeman too - we all thought that deal was dead in the water and then all of a sudden he`s signed.

Archived