IGNORED

Four Four Two Season Preview

Silvio Dante

As attached. Feels a bit of a odd one in making Wright key player (like him, but not even guaranteed a start), although the points made re momentum are fair and discussed at length here. 

IIRC, Four Four Two have had us to go down each of the last two years so we may not be their favourites!

They predict Stoke, Boro and Forest to go up, Ipswich, Rotherham and Reading to go down

90A7F927-64AA-4096-B7DF-63D1B1897B3F.jpeg

19th is a joke imo - as is calling Bailey are key player.

Bristol Live level research - position - ummm - oh I haven’t used 10th or 19th yet so 19th I guess as I don’t know who Bailey Wright is but he doesn’t sound as good as that other guy from that team as he is a forward and might score more goals.

Anyone remember the season under Danny Wilson where our entire preview in FourFourTwo was a large photo of Joey Beauchamp and a discussion about our chances depending on whether he would settle in Bristol. 

He'd long since not only not settled but not even signed. :facepalm: Haven't really taken them seriously since. If you want informed magazine journalism on league football and lower league football, you can't go wrong with WSC.

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

Anyone remember the season under Danny Wilson where our entire preview in FourFourTwo was a large photo of Joey Beauchamp and a discussion about our chances depending on whether he would settle in Bristol. 

He'd long since not only not settled but not even signed. :facepalm: Haven't really taken them seriously since. If you want informed magazine journalism on league football and lower league football, you can't go wrong with WSC.

Didn't even know WSC was still going! I started reading it in the early days, but must be 15 years since I have even seen a copy now! Was absolutely essential reading back then.

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I know we don’t have a keeper but 19th a bit too low. Can’t even see it being worst case. At worst I believe we are a 60 point team which will get you at least 14th or so. 

19th ain't bad if we don't have a keeper. That will give us more scope to play another winger.

I can't ever remember 442 giving us a cat in hells chance in any review they've ever written. 

Total Football were exactly the same. I have a feeling that they were based in Bath and a few Sags on the editorial team. 

I've got a feeling that Total Football and 442 merged about 15 years ago. 

Hard to call this season, the Championship is hugely unpredictable, with such small margins, and who knows how this City side will perform. I’m worried about where goals will come from, and defence looks a tad suspect. Or maybe Eisa will hit the ground running, defence will just click, and Weimann suddenly start scoring regularly.

29 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Hard to call this season, the Championship is hugely unpredictable, with such small margins, and who knows how this City side will perform. I’m worried about where goals will come from, and defence looks a tad suspect. Or maybe Eisa will hit the ground running, defence will just click, and Weimann suddenly start scoring regularly.

Agree with you ...19th seems a tad low, there are worse teams for sure but not super confident we'll be a hell of a lot higher. Fam out for 6, no first team goalkeeper fit, could be a tough start and Johnson loves a losing streak. Nervous.

12 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I foresee a comfortable season, with no real promotion or relegation battle, finishing between 10th - 15th.

I would be also be happy with that.

We don't do comfortable - do we?

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Really? That's one thing I'm not concerned about. People seem to forget that we spent over 5 million quid on a good striker only 12 months ago, a striker who scored 13 goals in 28 league starts last season. I'm confident that if Fam stays fit, and can start 35+ games in 18/19, he'll bang in 15-20 goals. Weimann, Eisa, Pato, Taylor will surely contribute another 20 between them. 

My main concern with our club in the last 3 seasons has been keeping goals out at the other end, hence my desire for the club to spend a bit more than usual on an established goalkeeper this Summer. 

It would also be nice to get a few more goals from our midfield. Brownhill, COD, Watkins, Eliasson and Adelukun should be contributing 20 between them at least for the coming campaign.

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Really? That's one thing I'm not concerned about. People seem to forget that we spent over 5 million quid on a good striker only 12 months ago, a striker who scored 13 goals in 28 league starts last season. I'm confident that if Fam stays fit, and can start 35+ games in 18/19, he'll bang in 15-20 goals. Weimann, Eisa, Pato, Taylor will surely contribute another 20 between them. 

My main concern with our club in the last 3 seasons has been keeping goals out at the other end, hence my desire for the club to spend a bit more than usual on an established goalkeeper this Summer. 

It would also be nice to get a few more goals from our midfield. Brownhill, COD, Watkins, Eliasson and Adelukun should be contributing 20 between them at least for the coming campaign.

I agree with all of this. If we add on a half dozen or so from defenders and we're rolling at 65+ goals for.  If we can then keep goals against below 55 then we should be comfortably mid table with a +10 GD.

Last few seasons have been +54, -71 (2015/16), +60, -66 (2016/17), and +67, -58 (2017/18) (note the continual upward trend). So if the numbers mentioned here come true, and it's a big if, then we should find ourselves at least matching last season, possibly getting up into the top ten.

Note that last season everyone from 6th up ended with at least +21 GD, so that suggests we'd need a heavy improvement at either end in order to nab a play-off spot.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

@rednotblue sadly the Sky prediction was two guys from Oxford United's podcast

Is that the lads that do the NTT20 podcast? If so, I listened to it last night, I thought there reasonings behind who they had where were pretty balanced. I think 7th is a little high, but I'd find it hard to argue with anyone who predcite anywhere between 6th and 16th this season. Tough league, some 'big' clubs falling on hard(er) times, I think it's tricky

I'd have a fiver on Stoke to win the league and can see Bolton going down, the rest would be complete guesswork

Archived