IGNORED

Top (bottom) 3 signings!

IdliketoRogerMoore

Following on from the Exciting signings thread, 

The signings when you heard about them made you think what the **** have we done! 

Wether they done well or bad after that!

Mines 

Stern John, journeyman striker who I didn’t rate and thought he was just here to make up numbers! 

Dele Adebola, did alright for us to be fair but he’s was a bit of a reminder of what could of been if we really went for it that january!

Shaun Taylor, I was wrong thank god thought he was coming here for a pay cheque didn’t think he would still be up for it, I was very very wrong!

This ones more difficult as I tend to give everyone a fair crack so my “WTF??” happens after they’ve played but the three that stick out are:

1. Peter Beadle. Hated him, absolutely hated him from his time at the gas and thought it was a mental move which would alienate fans without improving the squad quality. In the end he did fine - unspectacular but we obviously paid him enough to keep him in pies for the rest of his life

2. Darren Caskey. Purely on the basis that the last time I saw him before we signed him he was the size of a house

3. Controversially, Bob Taylor. Not because it was Bob, but because we gave Leeds cash and Carl Shutt for him. I had a soft spot for Shutt since I think it was a Fulham game he scored four in, and the fact we’d use him as a trade off for a Leeds reserve was nuts to me (I was about ten though...)

1. The 125 year old Paul Allen. Signed from Swindle by Ward in 97. Turned out to be not too bad for us. Let go at the end of the season.

2. Peter Beadle - For all the reasons given above. But then he came on and had a stormer when we beat the Sags 3-2 at the Gate so that helped.

3. Phil Kite - Ex Sag, shit journeyman keeper, warmed our bench for two years. Cheers for that one Joe. 

I’m not sure I can answer this for players as Silvio says I tend to reserve judgement on them until they have played a few games. I’ve never been horrified at a signing before he’s even kicked a ball  

Its easier for me with managers:

1. Sean O’Driscoll - seriously underwhelmed by this appointment and was not wrong, sadly. 

2. Steve Cottrill - again, not impressed, but I was wrong. Fantastic promotional season and a double to boot. Couldn’t handle the Championship though.....

3. Lee Johnson - I was one of the people who actually LIKED Lee as a player and thought he took a disproportionate amount of stick due to his parentage, so I was horrified both for US that we would take a chance on an unproven manager when there was more experience available, and for HIM because I could imagine what abuse he would endure if/when things don’t go that well. Verdict: not bad. Still in the Championship with a great cup run behind us. Not likely to get relegated any time soon. Is he the man to take us higher? Who knows. 

Feel free to delete or berate this post post if it’s too far away from the topic........

1. Aaron Wilbraham - no league goal in 18 months or something ridiculous!

2. Tammy Abraham - just some kid from Chelsea - will he get that many minutes seeing as we've got Kodjia ?

3. LJ - as a manager. Jury still out, depending on which bit of form we're in! Can't question that the bloke loves City though

I’ve got two, l’ll have a think about the third.

Aaron Wilbraham. Hold my hands up and admit I had never heard of him, but hardly anyone on here had a good word to say about him so I went with that. 1), how very wrong almost everyone was 2) I won’t be so easily swayed again.

Brian Tinnion (Manager). Wasn’t it at the Fans Forum game when it was confirmed, I was there and someone told me and I honestly thought it was a wind-up, no way would we give him the managers job. Then the media appeared and the rest is for the main part sad history.

The stand out for me, Robbie Turner. Saw the Glouc’s cup in Bath when we sent pretty much a U23 side. Turner never got a sniff Vs Paul Mardon. He goes to Wimbledon, who we sign him from, to say I’m unimpressed is an understatement. I think his debut wS at Swansea , I think 1-1 where he scored and gave away their goal, I saw enough to give him time. By the time he left I loved the fella, Turner/Taylor great times.

may have dreamed his debut, in my defence I’m old.

I wouldn't say I ever get that angry about players we sign, but if I had to pick players I didn't want once I heard we were rumoured for them, they would be Wilbraham, Kent & Harewood.

A slight bit off topic, but I couldn't believe we kept offering contracts to Bobby Reid for years. Never saw anything in him as a midfielder to say he'd make it here. Guess I was proved wrong there sort of! 

1) Bas Savage - had never scored a goal when he joined us and was about to sign for Forest Green from memory before we swooped in!

2) Steve Torpey - had a Swansea supporting housemate at uni who was constantly moaning about him, then we went and signed him,

3) Ian Baird  - Not sure why I was disappointed but sticks out as one which I wasn't too keen on us signing

31 minutes ago, Port Red said:

1) Bas Savage - had never scored a goal when he joined us and was about to sign for Forest Green from memory before we swooped in!

2) Steve Torpey - had a Swansea supporting housemate at uni who was constantly moaning about him, then we went and signed him,

3) Ian Baird  - Not sure why I was disappointed but sticks out as one which I wasn't too keen on us signing

All three were shocking! 

Liam Robinson was another..............:facepalm:

Gus Caesar. Thought he was overrated when he played for Arsenal, but by the time he came to us he was really crap. 

Julian Watts. Substitute Leicester for Arsenal above. 

Greg Goodridge. Controversial but I never rated him. Had I been a kid at the time I could have made a fortune by standing in the Winterstoke Road car park and selling footballs that flew over the East End from his crosses.  

There are many others but honourable mentions must go to Nicky Hunt, Michael Bridges and John Akinde. 

Aaron Wilbraham - I thought he would just be another low scoring journeyman. How completely wrong I was - he was one of our best signings in recent years.

Steve Cotterill - I was very underwhelmed when he joined us as manager. Very happy to be proved wrong again.

Peter Beadle - I remember thinking at the time "Is this the best we can do?" Apart from his goal against the fewers I can't really remember what he was like for us.

This choice is more difficult, because many players were quite unknown to me (especially the ones who played in L1/L2), so in some cases my reaction was only based on sensations.

I'd say...

Lois Diony (he arrived with a worrying score-ratio)

Marlon Harewood (almost at the sunset as a footballer)

Keith Millen (it sounded like a cheap option, after GJ's departure)

Other names or categories: Simon Cox (similar scenario as those of Diony and other players), Joel Ekstrand (arrived after a serious injury), some back-up goalkeepers who rarely played in their previous/parent club,  and then young gambles not ready for City, like John Akinde (below L2 level when he arrived, so he was simply too unexperienced to remain around the team).

Albert Admoah signed for £150k from Barnet, was disappointed until I saw him play and then realised we’d bought a Rolls Royce for loose change. 

Marcus Stewart, came in to much fanfare then was dire.

Grant Smith thought we’d pulled off a real coup signing him on a free from Swindon. Even on a free, he was overpriced!

Maybe someone could make up a dissapointing City 11, managed of course by Steve Coppell, the biggest letdown of them all.

Archived