IGNORED

Is it a contractual requirement?

Port Said Red

I know other have referred to this but it is getting beyond a joke now.... This was in the daily round up of the BBC football page

"Slightly remiss of me to not get this in earlier I know but the Championship kicks-off on Friday when Reading face Frank Lampard's Derby County team (20:00 BST)."

It does feel like there is some sort of directive to make this the only reference you can make, or perhaps it is some sort of Pavlovian reaction that a famous name illicits this response in journalists.

There was a theory darting around Twitter and Reddit recently about how only Sky seem to constantly refer to them as "Lampard's Derby" because that way they can cheapen the Championship. That way, they can push the Premier League and ensure that they don't have to waste money ensuring that more Football League matches are shown on their channels.

A bit tin-foil hat, if you ask me, but it wouldn't surprise me.

10 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

There was a theory darting around Twitter and Reddit recently about how only Sky seem to constantly refer to them as "Lampard's Derby" because that way they can cheapen the Championship. That way, they can push the Premier League and ensure that they don't have to waste money ensuring that more Football League matches are shown on their channels.

A bit tin-foil hat, if you ask me, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Not sure how that cheapens it.  More the opposite I'd have thought.  More people will watch Derby now because of Frank Lampard.

Don't see what's wrong with it tbh.

It’s typical of today’s modern football journalism. I took issue with Gregor McGregor still referring to LJ as the ex Oldham and Barnsley manager. As a journalist I would have thought he could have been more creative by now. Just as well Cotterill’s not still here. Column inches would certainly be taken up by the ex Sligo Rovers, Cheltenham Town, Stoke City, Burnley, Notts County, Portsmouth and Nottingham Forest manager. 

25 minutes ago, Roe said:

Not sure how that cheapens it.  More the opposite I'd have thought.  More people will watch Derby now because of Frank Lampard.

Don't see what's wrong with it tbh.

I think the point they were trying to make was that it makes Derby sound like a nothing club, until "Premier League legend" Frank Lampard turned up.

Given the history of the old boys club in management, a lot of people seem to be dead against the idea of good British players being able to walk into management in the second-tier without proving themselves first. Ryan Giggs is a great example of this, feeling like he was owed a Premier League or top-level Championship job because he was a good player for Man Utd, and Gerrard taking the Rangers job because of its prestige over viable lower-league clubs to build a career like MK Dons.

I actually quite like Lampard. He was an intelligent footballer, and seemed like a nice guy, so I think he'll do well at management, but outside of being good for Chelsea he's not shown anything to indicate he's a Championship level manager.

38 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It’s typical of today’s modern football journalism. I took issue with Gregor McGregor still referring to LJ as the ex Oldham and Barnsley manager. As a journalist I would have thought he could have been more creative by now. Just as well Cotterill’s not still here. Column inches would certainly be taken up by the ex Sligo Rovers, Cheltenham Town, Stoke City, Burnley, Notts County, Portsmouth and Nottingham Forest manager. 

.....and Birmingham City....

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

we have Lee Johnson's Bristol City…it does annoy me a bit. 

I guess every manager gets it sometimes but we don't get it anywhere as near as much though...

"Lee Johnson's Bristol City" gives 3,890 results on Google. "Frank Lampard's Derby County" gives 38,000 results on Google - he's on 10x the number and he's barely walked through the door!

45 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

I guess every manager gets it sometimes but we don't get it anywhere as near as much though...

"Lee Johnson's Bristol City" gives 3,890 results on Google. "Frank Lampard's Derby County" gives 38,000 results on Google - he's on 10x the number and he's barely walked through the door!

I'd put up with Thierry Henry's Bristol City though…:wub:

45 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I do too! Perhaps John Terry can shag his Mrs as well!!

If he hasn't already!

JT - the Rudolph Hucker of the football world.

Archived