IGNORED

Truth about Bristol Sport ticket fees...

Olé

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I do also think that Ole’s post should  be corrected to state explicitly that you don’t have to live in Bristol to avoid the cost; there is also the print at home option.

Unfortunately I can't edit any longer, but to be fair you're thinking only of home games. This is a recurring theme (judging by @TonyTonyTony's embarrassing attempt at trolling). People think this is flapping about the occasional £1 for an AG ticket. For those that go to away games - it's 23 games, so at the very least £23 plus the multiples of groups for each trip. If you also don't live in Bristol it's £1 a pop to post out too. It all adds up as a tax against away fans, when other clubs do far more to promote away support. Others have spoken up about free transport, I'm speaking up on something that's supposed to be outlawed.

For there to be a charge on away Tickets seems especially unnecessary to me. I believe that the Home club prints the tickets & sends them to City who then simply just have to allocate & possibly send them to a customer.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that if clubs do away with these charges then the usual thing to do is put up the cost of the product and hide it in there. 

Well Leeds have Swansea away and their fans are paying £30 whereas we’re paying £31.

Ok it’s just a quid. But if you’ve got a family of four and you go to all the away games it quickly adds up.

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Unfortunately I can't edit any longer, but to be fair you're thinking only of home games. This is a recurring theme (judging by @TonyTonyTony's embarrassing attempt at trolling). People think this is flapping about the occasional £1 for an AG ticket. For those that go to away games - it's 23 games, so at the very least £23 plus the multiples of groups for each trip. If you also don't live in Bristol it's £1 a pop to post out too. It all adds up as a tax against away fans, when other clubs do far more to promote away support. Others have spoken up about free transport, I'm speaking up on something that's supposed to be outlawed.

I completely agree with your argument. It’s just not entirely clear from your original post that this primarily applies to away games.

And yes that was a particularly woeful attempt at trolling from @TonyTonyTony, who clearly has more money than sense.

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I completely agree with your argument. It’s just not entirely clear from your original post that this primarily applies to away games.

Fair point, I should have been clearer - I do think the concern applies regardless of home/away but as you've highlighted, print at home reduces the burden for AG tickets.

And from what the Bristol Sport quote shows, they're on the hook for this "software" fee in all cases, so a concession for print-at-home/load is a choice to offer a subsidy.

So there is scope for the club to consider how it covers its software fee - and, as it is year 3 of use, why have the fees not come down and when is the contract renewal?

If anyone thinks I'm overdoing this, consider that when you buy food/drink in AG, City doesn't charge you a fee for the costs of their Verteda ePOS system (cash registers).

And they wouldn't because it's just odd. The ONLY reason it happens with tickets is it used to be normal and okay to pass on large payment fees so they thought why not. 

Now that right has unequivocally gone, City need to be able to justify their fees and - bottom line - shouldn't be abusing fan loyalty to pass off infrastructure costs instead. 

I bought 3 Swansea away tickets and each one incurred the £1 fee even though I am collecting them.

I emailed BS and asked if this was correct and the 'Acting Head of Support Services' replied it was correct and "All away tickets are subject to a booking fee, regardless of delivery method, due to the administration involved with those tickets"

11 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I bought 3 Swansea away tickets and each one incurred the £1 fee even though I am collecting them.

I emailed BS and asked if this was correct and the 'Acting Head of Support Services' replied it was correct and "All away tickets are subject to a booking fee, regardless of delivery method, due to the administration involved with those tickets"

I can confirm I found exactly the same. 

Can we not argue that I didn’t think an away fan could be charged more than a home fan (unless it’s a couple of times for fan schemes eg Quid a kid, bring a friend  etc).

Even lowering the price to £1 per transaction rather than per ticket would be better, some venues for concerts do this. And yes the tickets do arrive ready printed at the club. 

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Make sure you get your £3 worth of administration when you go to collect them. Printing out and handing to you wouldn't cut it for £3. I suggest you ask for a 15 minute chat, a can of coke and Lion bar.

Just to play devil's advocate, is the fee really disproportionate? If we have an away game every two weeks with 1k tickets sold then that is £500 per week to pay for the costs of that. If the attendance is only 600 then it's £300 per week. To pay for staffing that's not much.

7 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

Just to play devil's advocate, is the fee really disproportionate? If we have an away game every two weeks with 1k tickets sold then that is £500 per week to pay for the costs of that. If the attendance is only 600 then it's £300 per week. To pay for staffing that's not much.

I think you are calculating on staff ONLY sorting out away tickets, but they have their own daily duties, they aren’t employed solely  for the away club.

Surely if our staff sort out tickets for say Swansea, then Swansea’s staff sort out our tickets when their fans are visiting. We do theirs, they do ours, like for like so there should be no additional cost? 

On 01/08/2018 at 17:05, Fatalist said:

This is getting like Monty Python: 

Banker: Now, you were saying. I'm very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very rich.

Mr Ford: So er, how about a pound?

Banker: A pound. Yes, I see. Now this loan would be secured by the...

Mr Ford: It's not a loan, sir.

Banker: What?

Mr Ford: It's not a loan.

Banker: Ah.

Mr Ford: You get one of these, sir. (he gives him a flag)

Banker: It's a bit small for a share certificate isn't it? Look, I think I'd better run this over to our legal department. If you could possibly pop back on Friday...

Mr Ford: Well do you have to do that, couldn't you just give me the pound?

Banker: Yes, but you see I don't know what it's for.

Mr Ford: It's for the orphans.

Banker: Yes?

Mr Ford: It's a gift.

Banker: A what?

Mr Ford: A gift.

Banker: Oh a gift!

Mr Ford: Yes.

Banker: A tax dodge.

Mr Ford: No, no, no, no.

Banker: No? Well, I'm awfully sorry I don't understand. Can you just explain exactly what you want.

Mr Ford: Well, I want you to give me a pound, and then I go away and give it to the orphans.

Banker: Yes?

Mr Ford: Well, that's it.

Banker: No, no, no, I don't follow this at all, I mean, I don't want to seem stupid but it looks to me as though I'm a pound down on the whole deal.

Having worked in banking, private sector in transport and now in football.

this is the best business analogy of modern financials I’ve ever seen ??

This does need keeping near the top to make sure we get an answer and/or some action taken in this.

As an example I recently got my West Brom tickets and had to pay the extra £1 per ticket.

West Brom are adhering to the twenty’s plenty to try and help encourage away fans to attend - and let’s face it it’s bloody expensive going away these days - and City hike the price up 5% to cover their own costs.

Given that league rules allow us to charge the other club 5% why they can’t they use that to cover the fees on the away tickets?

Seems to me that possibly we are being charged an extra 5% and West Brom are being charged that as well meaning the club could be taking 10% themselves to cover ‘costs’.

Whilst on the face of it it doesn’t seem an earth shattering amount of money the same is true in reverse - it’s not a huge amount of money for the club to cover, especially if they charge the 5% to the other club as they are entitled to do.

On 29/08/2018 at 10:44, ziderheadarmy said:

Is it a secret or can the rest of us know?

Apologies, I've been busy all week so off OTIB. Matt very kindly gave me an update and his thoughts how to move this forward - it needs a bigger push.

I agreed that I would write an email to Matt to pass on (rather than simply post on OTIB) but (my fault) haven't had the time to do so in the last 2 weeks.

I'll get something across ASAP. Not just to moan about the fee, as the key thing (knowing this industry) is to acknowledge it is a charge passed to City.

Not by the credit card companies or even the payment processing firm, but by the booking/ticketing platform they had introduced over two years ago.

However the contract should be up for renewal so there should be scope to alleviate the burden on supporters and stop the double-dip on postage too. 

Archived