IGNORED

Well done City, well done with the recruitment.

reddogkev

We grumble for months and months when we have a perceived bad transfer window, so now it's time to celebrate a damn fine one.

I like the look of all the players we've signed so far, and feel pleased we've raided the lower leagues again for some decent talent.

I'd like to tip my hat to City for bringing in an exciting, decent new crop of players. 

Looking forward to seeing them gel over the coming season.

Everyone else feel the same, that we've done a top job with the recruitment so far?  I am very impressed.

We have done ok. I think we've purchased too many players that'll likely be benchwarmers (Wiemann, Maenpaa) or not in the squad (Watkins, Adelukan) if everyone is fit. Was it GJ who said only buy players who would improve the first XI. Maybe football has changed since then, with depth more to the fore. We also haven't improved CM for some strange reason.

On the other hand Webster and Eisa seem exciting with the former definitely better than who he has replaced. 

10 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.  I therefore reserve my judgement for now, but hope that we manage to better the first half of last season this year.

So top of the league instead of 2nd on Boxing Day and CC final instead of semi final? Wow!

I think we’ve done ok.

3/4 good experienced players at this level, couple of exciting young players that might make an impact.

CM maybe still a concern but I think he now sees Brownhill as that ‘signing’ as the other purchases cover the wide areas, so he can just concentrate on playing centrally.

With O’Dowda back, Eliason seemingly much better adjusted, Kelly breaking through, I think there’s plenty to feel positive about. I think we’ll definitely be good to watch.

I certainly feel the squad is a lot stronger, if maybe the starting 11 isn’t perhaps as good on paper.

The only one I can’t work out is Watkins. Not sure where he fits in. I’ve not seen enough of him to know exactly what sort of player he is but I just can’t obviously see where he’s going to get in the team.

I would imagine we'll rotate the squad a bit more there's decent competition in most positions (maybe excluding gk and FB at the moment). You'd hope that that will push some players up a level. Also it hopefully means less burnout and if form does drop we have good players who can come in. 

48 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you’re going to judge all of our signings on one game ? 

He didn't say that.

Probably waiting to see them in competitive games, like me. As yet, I don't think any of us have enough info to say "well done City, you got the right men, every one's a winner" etc.

Will have to wait and see re the transfer window, but for me theres a definite sense of quantity over quality, we sold basically our 2 most valuable assets, and have spread the money around lots of new signings.. if anything happens to diedhou i dont see a lot of gosls being scored?

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.  I therefore reserve my judgement for now, but hope that we manage to better the first half of last season this year.

I’d prefer we managed to better the 2nd half of the last season. No complaints regarding the first half of the season.

If I'm honest, I'm in the 'jury's still out' camp. I hope Weimann surprises me but think we're woefully short of a finisher and that puts extra pressure on the likes of Eisa.

Genuinely concerned but more than happy to be proved wrong.

Long old season ahead IMHO, far too good to go down but concerned just the same. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

We grumble for months and months when we have a perceived bad transfer window, so now it's time to celebrate a damn fine one.

I like the look of all the players we've signed so far, and feel pleased we've raided the lower leagues again for some decent talent.

I'd like to tip my hat to City for bringing in an exciting, decent new crop of players. 

Everyone else feel the same, that we've done a top job with the recruitment so far?  I am very impressed.

I really hope you are right, because up to now the signings haven't been that influential 

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

It must be August, Kev is back in optimistic posting mood :laughcont:

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

No sorry I do not share you’re optimism around recruitment and think this could be a tough year. The experience we bought from this league is all well and good but apart from Webster I would suggest they were players their clubs were happy to let go.

Buying talent from lower leagues is fine and a shrewd way of doing business but have we really bought the best talent from lower leagues? I may be wrong but I can’t see adelakun or Eisa being more than bit part players if everyone is fit.

we have not sorted out the GK issue and gone out and bought a new established number one which was an absolute priority, and we go into the forest game likely to start with someone who has played one league game in 3 years.

no real statement of intent signings albeit we do have a week of the window left.

signing up pack for another 3 years was the best bit of business we did this summer.

happy to be proved wrong but I have been a little underwhelmed by our transfer dealings.

We start the season full of hope, and not much else really. Our only double figure striker left from last season is out for 6 games and even he was injury prone last season.

We have brought some promising players in but a few are a bit green behind the ears where this div is concerned. They may set this div on fire and we may make millions on them but they may not.

So "we go again" as our manager says, no-one knows where we will go too this season. If we match last seasons finish we will be doing well, I think bottom half is more likely

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

No sorry I do not share you’re optimism around recruitment and think this could be a tough year. The experience we bought from this league is all well and good but apart from Webster I would suggest they were players their clubs were happy to let go.

Buying talent from lower leagues is fine and a shrewd way of doing business but have we really bought the best talent from lower leagues? I may be wrong but I can’t see adelakun or Eisa being more than bit part players if everyone is fit.

we have not sorted out the GK issue and gone out and bought a new established number one which was an absolute priority, and we go into the forest game likely to start with someone who has played one league game in 3 years.

no real statement of intent signings albeit we do have a week of the window left.

signing up pack for another 3 years was the best bit of business we did this summer.

happy to be proved wrong but I have been a little underwhelmed by our transfer dealings.

Great post. Its good to hear another supporter challenging the recruitment for what it actually is.

Too early to say yet.

Fairly pleased on paper particularly with Adelukan, Eisa and Webster. Think Watkins could be a very astute signing and surprise a few people. Hunt should be a definite upgrade at RB.

Would’ve liked to have seen us buy a top quality CM and GK. Saying that, I haven’t watched the new GK so for all I know he could turn out to be a surprise good signing.

I’d have liked to see us sign someone like Ben Pearson or Ryan Woods. Both quality CM’s you’d think would be within our wage budget. That’s the sort of signing who I think it would be worth spending a big fee on.

Interested to hear which players @Ska Junkie@MC RISK77 and @core321 would’ve liked to see us go after as yours seem to be the most concerned reactions in this thread. 

Quite hard to judge, we haven’t had the big spend excitement of the Kodjia’s and Diedhious’s this season to take the limelight, and almost everyone else seem to be roughly the same level of value and experience ( not like that’s a bad thing, I’m just pointing out things seem more even this season).

I’m glad we have gone for Championship experience on the whole. I’m not worried about the comment about the players being ones nobody seems bothered about losing/other clubs didn’t want. Players like Ayling and Cunningham left us when surplus to requiremements in some people’s eyes, they didn’t turn out too shabby in different teams. 

We have also failed to be held to ransom and purchased young talent who have at least experienced league football in this country, and spent less than our expensive gambles from Scandinavia. Lessons learnt there I think from our complete change of business.

We have failed to follow up our loan deals we had last season, surely this is a positive. Imagine if we had been going into the season with Kent and Diony! 

Regarding loans, maybe a keeper is out there. We certainly should still be looking but I’m more positive about yesterday’s signing than I was. I’m sure we are already working on January and beyond, no matter what our league position is. We can’t do business as bad as that again can we. 

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

My initial take on this summer recruitment was that we’ve added strength in depth to the squad but without really improving the starting line up.

We’ll see.

Apart from RB possibly.  

I think in the main we have gone for hard work and like for like to prevent out the burn out we had last season over outstanding talent, maybe that will be more evident in the young players like Eisa. I think we are aware of our past two seasons having huge swings in form and good fortune and are trying to be steady and progressive now whilst still playing our style of pressing football .

Steady, not spectacular with players in the right positions rotating as needed is how I’m seeing it.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

My initial take on this summer recruitment was that we’ve added strength in depth to the squad but without really improving the starting line up.

We’ll see.

Yes but you could argue our starting XI was not the problem. It was our 12-18 which lacked the quality to see us through a long season. Just an argument though as I am curious myself how this season will go. 

On one hand, I see all the positives. At their best, this squad can push for top 6. I do not doubt that. 

However, at their best is a rarity for such a long season. I worry about Hunt and Webster staying fit. Have no qualms with Wright or Pisano but it is still a drop in quality(imo). Watkins and Adelakun may struggle to get ahead of Pato, COD and Eliasson(based on preseason). A good thing but then perhaps one a slight waste going forward? Getting through Diedhiou’s ban with a solid points haul is a concern. 

Idk. Guess what I am trying to say is if everything goes right I can see us top 6. Just think that is too big an ask and in reality can see us having a steadier season but ending up in a similar spot to last season. I would not be upset with that. I know that makes me a happy clapper or something of that ilk but losing Flint and Reid plus perhaps Bryan and no Fam for 6 matches, I think 10-13th would be a solid season which we could build upon again. We have 10m or so left from transfers this summer. Probably a sale or two next summer plus contracts expiring. We could have 20m+ to spend on 2-4 quality players plus the wages to get them done. Still growing as a club but we are almost at the level where we can compete with relegated clubs to a degree

I don't think we have made bad signings, but neither at the same time do I see players who will take us to the next level.

In fact from pre season, 3 of the 4 more exciting prospects for the season, Eliasson, Kelly & Pring were already at the club last season, just not being player.

The new keeper is a direct replacement for Steele, but with Frankie injured, we are still lacking between the posts for a solid Championship standard keeper. Niki M may prove to be competent but I feel this is an area we need to approve but haven't.

We have lost Flint and replaced with Webster,  I am not unhappy with this.

My main concern is we still lack a creative midfielder, a position we have lacked for 2 seasons now.

We need to replace Bobby's goals. Wiemann and Eisa look good signings, but I a not sure they are 20 goals a season strikers.

For me we still need a solid Championship keeper, a Creative midfielder and a fox in the box number 9 for this team to progress, but we have signed some good squad players who will enable us to continue playing our pressing football, but for me we still lack the three main elements of the squad we have needed since the start of the window and pretty much since January (bar striker).

Archived