IGNORED

Nice "spin" on the anticipated crowd for Saturday

New Dazzler

On the official site there is a quote on how wonderful it is that we will be getting the highest crowd for an opening home game since the stadium redevelopment (sorry having a bit of an issue copying/pasting).

As this is only the 2nd opening game since the redevelopment (if you remember 2 seasons ago the Upper Lansdown and much of the lower Lansdown was not available for use for the opening game against Wigan), the article is basically saying that this season we will get a higher attendance for out home game against Forest this season than we did for our home game against Barnsley last season!  Is this really worth giving a "big-up", think it would have been shocking if we had sold less tickets than for the Barnsley game?.

3 hours ago, Redstoke said:

Know what you are trying to say but the club are stating a "fact" that it will be our highest opening day attendance in the championship since our return?

Mainly due to the fact that Forest are bringing 1500 more fans than Barnsley did

9 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

On the official site there is a quote on how wonderful it is that we will be getting the highest crowd for an opening home game since the stadium redevelopment (sorry having a bit of an issue copying/pasting).

As this is only the 2nd opening game since the redevelopment (if you remember 2 seasons ago the Upper Lansdown and much of the lower Lansdown was not available for use for the opening game against Wigan), the article is basically saying that this season we will get a higher attendance for out home game against Forest this season than we did for our home game against Barnsley last season!  Is this really worth giving a "big-up", think it would have been shocking if we had sold less tickets than for the Barnsley game?.

Ok, so do the research yourself, if you’d like a different angle on it. 

When was the last time we had over 20k for an opening league fixture..? 

Considering the (useable) capacity of Ashton Gate has been sub 20k since the mid 1990’s and we were rattling around the lower leagues before that, I would suggest that it will likely be the biggest opening day attendance since the very start of the 1980’s. 

My guess for Saturday is about 22k. 

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ok, so do the research yourself, if you’d like a different angle on it. 

When was the last time we had over 20k for an opening league fixture..? 

Considering the (useable) capacity of Ashton Gate has been sub 20k since the mid 1990’s and we were rattling around the lower leagues before that, I would suggest that it will likely be the biggest opening day attendance since the very start of the 1980’s. 

My guess for Saturday is about 22k. 

Not sure 22k - with a very big away following - is much to get that excited about tbh so I get the OPs point, to me it seems just a general continuation of last seasons figures, there’s certainly no massive upsurge. Still very solid though. 

23 minutes ago, lenred said:

Not sure 22k - with a very big away following - is much to get that excited about tbh so I get the OPs point, to me it seems just a general continuation of last seasons figures, there’s certainly no massive upsurge. Still very solid though. 

I’d have to disagree. It’s only 2-3 years ago that 20k+ crowds were all but a distant memory of top flight football, big cup ties or the odd Bristol Derby. Now they are fairly regular. 

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’d have to disagree. It’s only 2-3 years ago that 20k+ crowds were all but a distant memory of top flight football, big cup ties or the odd Bristol Derby. Now they are fairly regular. 

Have to agree it's not that long ago that a draw at home againt Orient was a good result and Tranmere away was a tough game.

We have come a long way 

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

But we are still only one league above the little club in Horfield?

See you Saturday.

One league maybe,but in everything else,a million miles.

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Hence the comment ‘still very solid’ because it’s a great figure  but in relation to last years attendances it’s not a massive jump. Think we are singing from the same hymn sheet!

How many tickets sold so far?  Add a few sales between now and Saturday.  Is it POTD?  The warm weather may bring out o few casuals if it is.  I'm really hoping that we are close to a full house for this one, but am guessing at around 24k.  A good display in the opener will hopefully increase the interest and crowds for the next few games too. COYR.

11 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Why shouldn't the club highlight the fact it's our biggest attendance for a home game?  It's to everyone's benefit to stir up greater interest in the fixture, put more bums on seats, make more money and perhaps even grab a few new fans.  Good for the club, good for the players, good for the atmosphere.  The club should be promoting the game.

It actually influenced my decision to attend on Saturday.  I'm bringing my son for the first time ever, which I'm thrilled about, and I was keen for a decent crowd for his first game so he gets to experience live football at its best.  Once it became apparent there was going to be a healthy attendance, it made it an easier decision.

Just feels like some people are looking for any sort of angle to criticise the club.  And it just shows how far we've come when people talk about 22-24k attendances as nothing special.

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Leveller said:

What is happening with the central blocks of the Upper Lansdown? Whenever I’ve looked they’ve been unavailable. Are they sold out? Are there season tickets there now?

Don't believe they have been put on sale yet

Also hadn't realised the family stand took up so many areas 

image.png

• Admin
1 minute ago, fanjita said:

I can’t see the logic in not opening the whole stadium 

Nor me

Sorry @Bar BS3 for doing this. Just had a look, there are 226 showing available in the Dolman Stand, the South Stand is showing as Sold Out, the Lower Lansdown is showing 466 available

It's impossible to guess what is sold in the top tier as the club seem to be releasing certain rows at a time - it will be odd if the three edge blocks are sold out but not the middle three

Guess with Forest selling out there is no chance of it being POTD

8 hours ago, harrys said:

Mainly due to the fact that Forest are bringing 1500 more fans than Barnsley did

And have free coach travel too.

Doesnt seem long since we played Forest as it was our last away game

So, anyone know the last time we had 20k plus on the opening home game? 

Im going just on memory here but I do remember playing Leeds on the opening game of our last season in the top flight, 1979,  it finished 2-2 and I’m guessing the crowd was about 22,000 

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Nor me

Sorry @Bar BS3 for doing this. Just had a look, there are 226 showing available in the Dolman Stand, the South Stand is showing as Sold Out, the Lower Lansdown is showing 466 available

It's impossible to guess what is sold in the top tier as the club seem to be releasing certain rows at a time - it will be odd if the three edge blocks are sold out but not the middle three

Guess with Forest selling out there is no chance of it being POTD

Of course it will be POTD, they’ll be atleast 3k unsold seats on Saturday morning.

The OP has a fair point - this is only the second opening day the redeveloped stadium has been fully operational so it’s a pointless stat.

A much more impactful one would’ve been “City set for biggest opening day home crowd since XXXX.”

Archived