IGNORED

Terry Bush

Blagdon Mike

Terry Bush

29 January 1943 – 30 July 2018

We were sad to learn that Terry Bush, who played for the Club throughout the 1960s, passed away on Monday 30th July 2018 after a long illness.

Terry was born in Norfolk but began his footballing career as a junior at Bristol City, signing as a professional in February 1960.  He went on to play his entire career at City and settled in Bristol for the rest of his life.  The 1964/65 season could be considered his best, scoring 16 goals in 37 league appearances, contributing towards the team winning promotion to Division Two.  He was forced to retire in 1970 with knee problems.

He had played 185 games and scored 46 goals in all competitions, 162 appearances and 43 goals in the Football League.  His long service was rewarded with a joint testimonial with Tony Ford on 31 July 1971.  Terry had a powerful physique and scored a number of spectacular goals.  He joined the City staff on retirement as assistant secretary before becoming a full-time official for the Transport and General Workers Union.

so sorry to hear this met him many times in the star in pill loved to talk about city, he had some brilliant stories about his days playing, one of the all time city greats and will be missed by a lot of people in pill and throughout Bristol rip terry.

18 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Me too! 66-67 season, on a crash barrier on the half way line in front of what is now the Dolman, fell in love with the place that day.

38,000+ crowd. Remember the feeling as I walked onto the terraces between the East End and the Enclosure - I had never seen so many people and the smell of tobacco and the noise created a unique atmosphere.

After the game finished, such was the crush that I was carried out of the ground by the crowd without my feet touching the ground.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

What a shame...he was playing in the first team I saw.  Anyone remember his 40 yard worldy against PNE?

He had a renascence in the early 70's .

The 40 yard worldy - do you mean the thunderbolt from the right wing? I can remember him doing this against somebody, but not sure who. It’s a pity games weren’t televised in those days, as this was a classic 

My first memory is a young Terry just after he arrived from King's Lynn in a reserve game. He hit a screamer from over 25 yards. Stunning goal. 

Terry Bush was my type of player. Never a headline writers dream, never the one you all purred about on the bus home and the Green Un queue. But one of those without whom every football club is lost. 100% every game and for the memories throughout his time at City, I say a big thank you to him. 

After retiring, I understand he worked for the TGWU. My great uncle was the driving force behind the formation of that union and so also great respect for his other job after he finished his football career. 

48 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The 40 yard worldy - do you mean the thunderbolt from the right wing? I can remember him doing this against somebody, but not sure who. It’s a pity games weren’t televised in those days, as this was a classic 

Yes it was PNE and oddly enough he got one from a slightly shorter range but still right wing the very next season against...........PNE !

Now ask me who scored a goal in our last home league match ! :dunno:

28 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes it was PNE and oddly enough he got one from a slightly shorter range but still right wing the very next season against...........PNE !

Now ask me who scored a goal in our last home league match ! :dunno:

Shame we haven't had someone like that in recent years to halt our atrocious record against PNE....

So sorry to hear this news. Remember him well from the late 60's.

Terry Bush (born 29 January 1943) is a former professional footballer who played as a forward for Bristol City for his entire career before retiring due to injury in 1970. He played 182 games and scored 45 goals in all competitions, of which 43 goals came from 162 games in the Football League.

RIP Terry.

Archived