IGNORED

Terry Bush

Blagdon Mike

5 hours ago, pillred said:

so sorry to hear this met him many times in the star in pill loved to talk about city, he had some brilliant stories about his days playing, one of the all time city greats and will be missed by a lot of people in pill and throughout Bristol rip terry.

I remember Terry he lived in the same road as me...nice bloke 

Very sad news - him being a regular in the first sides I watched as a kid. Boy could he strike a ball.

He had the thighs though sadly not the dazzling blond locks of Dickie Rooks else Bush could well have ended up my childhood hero.

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

What a shame...he was playing in the first team I saw.  Anyone remember his 40 yard worldy against PNE?

He had a renascence in the early 70's .

Not sure if it's the same one but i saw him score a scorcher from distance towards what was to be the EE.

He was out wide on the right and let rip.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The 40 yard worldy - do you mean the thunderbolt from the right wing? I can remember him doing this against somebody, but not sure who. It’s a pity games weren’t televised in those days, as this was a classic 

Could be the same goal as i've just mentioned ?

That's so sad, as people have said always gave 100%. A gentleman, a physical a big man, who always had time sign our autograph books week in week out.He used to have a nervous twitch with his head. He had is own song sang to him by the covered end. R.I.P Terry.

29 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Could be the same goal as i've just mentioned ?

Very probably. You don’t get many 40 yard shots from the right wing that fly into the net! Usually these things are a miss-hit cross that goes in by accident, but this was definitely a shot. 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My memory, perhaps fading, tells me that back in 1966, the year after our promotion, we had a 'front three' of Terry Bush, John Atyeo and Brian Clark.

Am I correct, with Jantzen Derrick and Lou Peters and/or Ray Savino on the wing?

Yes mate correct  Terry was a sub at times but always good to bring on can remember the front of the green un goalscorer Bush always stood out

Very sad news - before my time but Terry lived just down the road from my parents and his wife & my mum were involved with the local cub/scouts for many years. Think he may have been a postie before his retirement? Certainly well loved around Pill area playing local cricket as well 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My memory, perhaps fading, tells me that back in 1966, the year after our promotion, we had a 'front three' of Terry Bush, John Atyeo and Brian Clark.

Am I correct, with Jantzen Derrick and Lou Peters and/or Ray Savino on the wing?

Correct. Except that by then Terry Bush was at wing half more than striker. 

15 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

What a shame...he was playing in the first team I saw.  Anyone remember his 40 yard worldy against PNE?

Yes, I remember that.

I was stood on the open end terrace directly behind it.

He hit it from what seemed like the halfway line in front of the (yet to be built) Dolman stand, and it kept coming like a missile, gradually rising, directly towards me.

It hit the top corner, and if there hadn't been a net, it would have took my head off!!!

Sad news, RIP Terry.

I remember my first City game at AG, home to Blackburn in 1970. Terry Bush scored twice playing alongside a young Chris Garland, a big centre-forward good with his head and on that day took his chances well. At that time I think he was in because John Galley was injured, it was towards the end of his playing days and he was used as a backup striker by AD

13 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

I remember my dad taking me to his testimonial v The Gas on 31st July 1971.

20180802_192952.jpg

Remember that programme cover well, the joint testimonial is one of my earliest memories of Ashton Gate.

I always thought the opposition was Chelsea but perhaps that was another game around the same time. 

Teams for you Noggers

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Remember that programme cover well, the joint testimonial is one of my earliest memories of Ashton Gate.

I always thought the opposition was Chelsea but perhaps that was another game around the same time. 

20180803_094522.jpg

5 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Teams for you Noggers

20180803_094522.jpg

Thanks RG.

I wonder what the Chelsea match at about the same time was in aid of then, must have just been a friendly.

Probably a year later come to think of it, as a very young and unknown Ray Wilkins was playing, probably aged about 16.

10 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Teams for you Noggers

20180803_094522.jpg

Thanks.

Just at the very start of my support, I was aged 7 then and that was when my old man started taking me to the Gate.

Sad to think that Messrs Jacobs, Gow & Wimshurst are no longer with us..

Archived