Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Blagdon Mike

Terry Bush

Terry Bush

29 January 1943 – 30 July 2018

We were sad to learn that Terry Bush, who played for the Club throughout the 1960s, passed away on Monday 30th July 2018 after a long illness.

Terry was born in Norfolk but began his footballing career as a junior at Bristol City, signing as a professional in February 1960.  He went on to play his entire career at City and settled in Bristol for the rest of his life.  The 1964/65 season could be considered his best, scoring 16 goals in 37 league appearances, contributing towards the team winning promotion to Division Two.  He was forced to retire in 1970 with knee problems.

He had played 185 games and scored 46 goals in all competitions, 162 appearances and 43 goals in the Football League.  His long service was rewarded with a joint testimonial with Tony Ford on 31 July 1971.  Terry had a powerful physique and scored a number of spectacular goals.  He joined the City staff on retirement as assistant secretary before becoming a full-time official for the Transport and General Workers Union.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 3

so sorry to hear this met him many times in the star in pill loved to talk about city, he had some brilliant stories about his days playing, one of the all time city greats and will be missed by a lot of people in pill and throughout Bristol rip terry.

• Like 3

Sad news.

IIRC Terry scored the winner vs Southampton in the 4th round of the cup in 1967 - my very first game at Ashton Gate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I met him a number of times and can honestly say he was a bloody nice bloke.

Very sad to here this. I'll let family members know as they knew him better than I did.

RIP Terry

• Like 2

Same here, one of the first names I can remember from my first years of watching City. Proper player.

His footballing days were just before my time, but I remember him being a very good, fast bowler for Lodway ( Pill) in the early 70’s. Nice guy as well. 

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sad news.

IIRC Terry scored the winner vs Southampton in the 4th round of the cup in 1967 - my very first game at Ashton Gate.

Me too! 66-67 season, on a crash barrier on the half way line in front of what is now the Dolman, fell in love with the place that day.

18 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Me too! 66-67 season, on a crash barrier on the half way line in front of what is now the Dolman, fell in love with the place that day.

38,000+ crowd. Remember the feeling as I walked onto the terraces between the East End and the Enclosure - I had never seen so many people and the smell of tobacco and the noise created a unique atmosphere.

After the game finished, such was the crush that I was carried out of the ground by the crowd without my feet touching the ground.

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

What a shame...he was playing in the first team I saw.  Anyone remember his 40 yard worldy against PNE?

He had a renascence in the early 70's .

The 40 yard worldy - do you mean the thunderbolt from the right wing? I can remember him doing this against somebody, but not sure who. It’s a pity games weren’t televised in those days, as this was a classic 

• Like 1

My first memory is a young Terry just after he arrived from King's Lynn in a reserve game. He hit a screamer from over 25 yards. Stunning goal. 

Terry Bush was my type of player. Never a headline writers dream, never the one you all purred about on the bus home and the Green Un queue. But one of those without whom every football club is lost. 100% every game and for the memories throughout his time at City, I say a big thank you to him. 

After retiring, I understand he worked for the TGWU. My great uncle was the driving force behind the formation of that union and so also great respect for his other job after he finished his football career. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The 40 yard worldy - do you mean the thunderbolt from the right wing? I can remember him doing this against somebody, but not sure who. It’s a pity games weren’t televised in those days, as this was a classic 

Yes it was PNE and oddly enough he got one from a slightly shorter range but still right wing the very next season against...........PNE !

Now ask me who scored a goal in our last home league match ! :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Sad news.

Not quite.. I think you'll find it was given as an OG (Knapp?), but it was his shot  at the covered end .

28 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes it was PNE and oddly enough he got one from a slightly shorter range but still right wing the very next season against...........PNE !

Now ask me who scored a goal in our last home league match ! :dunno:

Shame we haven't had someone like that in recent years to halt our atrocious record against PNE....

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this news. Remember him well from the late 60's.

Terry Bush (born 29 January 1943) is a former professional footballer who played as a forward for Bristol City for his entire career before retiring due to injury in 1970. He played 182 games and scored 45 goals in all competitions, of which 43 goals came from 162 games in the Football League.

RIP Terry.

He also took my Mum my times in his community car. To hospital always chatting away about the good times at our Club. But mostly recently about our problems. But always dreaming good times will return.

3 hours ago, redapple said:

His footballing days were just before my time, but I remember him being a very good, fast bowler for Lodway ( Pill) in the early 70’s. Nice guy as well. 

Playing cricket there was the time I remember seeing him.

5 hours ago, pillred said:

so sorry to hear this met him many times in the star in pill loved to talk about city, he had some brilliant stories about his days playing, one of the all time city greats and will be missed by a lot of people in pill and throughout Bristol rip terry.

I remember Terry he lived in the same road as me...nice bloke 

• Like 1

A great guy and an honest hard working footballer, was a hero of mine during the 60's.

I met him and his wife once in Easton in Gordano, where she was I believe a cub scout leader, a lovely couple.

Condolences to his family and RIP Terry Bush, a true gent and another hero sadly passed.

• Like 1

Very sad news - him being a regular in the first sides I watched as a kid. Boy could he strike a ball.

He had the thighs though sadly not the dazzling blond locks of Dickie Rooks else Bush could well have ended up my childhood hero.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

What a shame...he was playing in the first team I saw.  Anyone remember his 40 yard worldy against PNE?

He had a renascence in the early 70's .

Not sure if it's the same one but i saw him score a scorcher from distance towards what was to be the EE.

He was out wide on the right and let rip.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Could be the same goal as i've just mentioned ?

That's so sad, as people have said always gave 100%. A gentleman, a physical a big man, who always had time sign our autograph books week in week out.He used to have a nervous twitch with his head. He had is own song sang to him by the covered end. R.I.P Terry.

29 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Could be the same goal as i've just mentioned ?

Very probably. You don’t get many 40 yard shots from the right wing that fly into the net! Usually these things are a miss-hit cross that goes in by accident, but this was definitely a shot. 

My memory, perhaps fading, tells me that back in 1966, the year after our promotion, we had a 'front three' of Terry Bush, John Atyeo and Brian Clark.

Am I correct, with Jantzen Derrick and Lou Peters and/or Ray Savino on the wing?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My memory, perhaps fading, tells me that back in 1966, the year after our promotion, we had a 'front three' of Terry Bush, John Atyeo and Brian Clark.

Am I correct, with Jantzen Derrick and Lou Peters and/or Ray Savino on the wing?

Yes mate correct  Terry was a sub at times but always good to bring on can remember the front of the green un goalscorer Bush always stood out

• Thanks 1

Very sad news - before my time but Terry lived just down the road from my parents and his wife & my mum were involved with the local cub/scouts for many years. Think he may have been a postie before his retirement? Certainly well loved around Pill area playing local cricket as well