IGNORED

Aston Villa

Apparently made a ‘surprise’ bid for Yerry Mina at Barcelona who has also been linked with Man Utd and Everton. £10m upfront with £10m more in add-ons. Falls someway short of Barca’s £40m valuation.

God I hate Villa! Do they not learn?! On the brink of bankruptcy a week or so ago. A bit of a cash injection, that I believe will still be under review for most this season, and they start throwing that sort of money around again. Absolutely ridiculous. Surely despite the new funding they should be under some sort of transfer embargo given the mess they were in?

Anyone know if they have fully paid the Kodjia fee yet before things go tits up for them again.

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I honestly would love to see them go to the wall. Not a single likeable thing about the shithouse club. 

During their premier league days they were quite likeable. Occasionally had the good season and played some good football up to the last few seasons before relegation.

Since then though they really are up there as one of those clubs you just cannot stand!

38 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Publicity stunt even if true...

No-one moves from Barca to Villa unless they are hiding from the law

How does Messi stand with his tax evasion case ? :whistle:  :)

45 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I honestly would love to see them go to the wall. Not a single likeable thing about the shithouse club. 

I like Villa - my sis supports them - real fans with great humour (I was in a pub full of Villa fans way back in 2004 before their game with Newcastle, a few were talking about England winning the rugby World Cup the year before, a guy interrupted them saying “So Johnny Wilkinson can kick a ball high over a bar, so what, I’ve seen Warren Aspinall do that loads of times!” That made I chuckle!) And they certainly don’t think they are a massive club anymore....always superb support from the Holte End, great songs....and Villa was the last top flight club to play a game with eleven Englishmen in the starting line up....

Behind the scenes they are superb too, they really look after their fans in my experience - I bought my sis some top notch Villa Park hospitality packages as a Christmas pressie a few years back - however the game was then changed by Sky from the Saturday to Monday night and my sis couldn’t make the date change due to her NHS shifts....Villa were incredibly understanding, refunded her train tickets which she’d bought for the Saturday and let her choose any game from the rest of the season to replace the moved fixture, she chose Chelsea at home and Villa fitted her and her mates into the hospitality packages of her choice even though that game had sold out all the hospitality packages before she chose it. So she got to see Lampard break the all time Chelsea scoring record that day too. Then about three days after that game, she got a phone call (not an email) from Villa to check that she’d enjoyed her day and to make sure she was happy with everything....a simple yet great gesture. 

I’ve been on the Holte End a fair few times over the years and have always had a good experience...I think they are far from a ‘shithouse club’ and I think there are lots of ‘likeable’ things about them...eg they gave us Scott Murray!

Why the vitriol against them?

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I like Villa - my sis supports them - real fans with great humour (I was in a pub full of Villa fans way back in 2003 before their game with Newcastle, a few were talking about England winning the rugby World Cup, a guy interrupted them saying “So Johnny Wilkinson can kick a ball high over a bar, so what, I’ve seen Warren Aspinall do that loads of times!” That made I chuckle!) And they certainly don’t think they are a massive club anymore....always superb support from the Holte End, great songs....and Villa was the last top flight club to play a game with eleven Englishmen in the starting line up....

Behind the scenes they are superb too, they really look after their fans in my experience - I bought my sis some top notch Villa Park hospitality packages as a Christmas pressie a few years back - however the game was then changed by Sky from the Saturday to Monday night and my sis couldn’t make the date change due to her NHS shifts....Villa were incredibly understanding, refunded her train tickets which she’d bought for the Saturday and let her choose any game from the rest of the season to replace the moved fixture, she chose Chelsea at home and Villa fitted her and her mates into the hospitality packages of her choice even though that game had sold out all the hospitality packages before she chose it. So she got to see Lampard break the all time Chelsea scoring record that day too. Then about three days after that game, she got a phone call (not an email) from Villa to check that she’d enjoyed her day and to make sure she was happy with everything....a simple yet great gesture. 

I’ve been on the Holte End a fair few times over the years and have always had a good experience...I think they are far from a ‘shithouse club’ and I think there are lots of ‘likeable’ things about them...eg they gave us Scott Murray!

I’ve never met a single likeable Villa fan. Every single one I’ve ever come across - especially since their relegation - has been unbelievably arrogant. Like they’re somehow gracing us with their temporary presence  

And I abhor the ‘bet the house on black’ mentality they adopted last season.

And that’s before we get on to Grealish and his stupid ******* socks. Oooh look at me, NOTICE me, I wear my socks in a different way, aren’t I something?! 

Horseshit. 

In summary, not a huge fan  

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

One word: Arrogance

They are living in 1982 still and always harp on about how they are a massive club but haven’t done anything in decades. They played alright for a couple of seasons under O’Neil but have largely been a lower PL team. Now in the Championship I sense they feel it is beneath them and just express arrogance.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

And who can forget `You Only Came For The Villa` season before last - just before we stuffed them 3-1.

The arrogance in that team that day was palpable. Like all they had to do to get a result was turn up and go through the formalities.

Came across as the typical premier league snowflakes who had never even realised a world existed outside the bubble. 

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I like Villa - my sis supports them - real fans with great humour (I was in a pub full of Villa fans way back in 2004 before their game with Newcastle, a few were talking about England winning the rugby World Cup the year before, a guy interrupted them saying “So Johnny Wilkinson can kick a ball high over a bar, so what, I’ve seen Warren Aspinall do that loads of times!” That made I chuckle!) And they certainly don’t think they are a massive club anymore....always superb support from the Holte End, great songs....and Villa was the last top flight club to play a game with eleven Englishmen in the starting line up....

I’ve never really had much dealings with Villa fans but since their relegation i’ve got into conversation with 3 Of them on separate occasions and have to say they were all incredibly arrogant, I think they feel they are too big to be in this division ( I reminded them that I could remember them in the third division) I do appreciate that 3 fans is hardly a fair reflection of their fan base, you’ve obviously have good experiences with the club which is fair enough and good to hear

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I suspect, as you say, that they are basically a good club , look after their fans well etc.etc. They are what most of us would call one of the proper, big old fashioned clubs.However, since their relegation they have typified everything that is wrong with the premier league and how it has impacted on football at the top level and importantly the championship.

They have been relegated with massive parachute payments and have tried to use that financial clout to out muscle the rest of the championship and buy their way back to the prem - John Terry on £60,000 per week didn't help their case. The sting in the tail is, of course, that not only did they fail in both the first 2 seasons, but it now appears that the profligate expenditure during that time  is on such a scale that the club was on the verge of bankruptcy in the summer. 

Not only was their solvency threatened, but they look as though they are heading for a breach of the financial rules. I think this is why they are receiving so much vitriol, as I wonder whether fans are feeling that while we are trying to make sure the club runs in a financially prudent way and staying within the agreed financial guidelines, clubs like Villa ride roughshod over them, making a mockery of the whole arrangement and effectively cheating the other 20 odd clubs in the championship?

As a  result I suspect quite a few fans are. like me, cynical about the "penalties" handed out to QPR, Leicester and Bournemouth for financial breaches, and feel that it needs a proper swingeing penalty to be handed out to a "big" club before all clubs realise that they have to toe  the line on financial spending, because the consequences of not so doing will have huge impact on them.

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

And who can forget `You Only Came For The Villa` season before last - just before we stuffed them 3-1.

Tbf RRH there’s a few teams that have sung that to us, not just Villa! 

Whilst I get that some have a dislike for them they are far far too big a club to ever go to the wall, regardless of their spending. Never going to happen. Personally I like them. You’re always going to get divs following all clubs but mostly the ones I’ve met seem sound and down to earth.  The family friends who introduced me to City (my dad loathed coming to AG) back in the 80s are Villa fans who came to City now and again to watch local football. They took me to see them a few times too but I chose the right team! 

14 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

They played alright for a couple of seasons under O’Neil but have largely been a lower PL team...

Nah, that’s not true....they finished in the top 10 of the premier league for 15 of the 24 seasons they were up there, including finishing 2nd (once), 4th (once), 5th (once), 6th (six times), 7th (once), 8th (twice), 9th (once) 10th (twice)...

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yeh, like we’ve never sung ‘arrogant’ chants at away games...can’t believe that wound you up!

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’ve never met a single likeable Villa fan. Every single one I’ve ever come across - especially since their relegation - has been unbelievably arrogant. Like they’re somehow gracing us with their temporary presence  

And I abhor the ‘bet the house on black’ mentality they adopted last season.

And that’s before we get on to Grealish and his stupid ******* socks. Oooh look at me, NOTICE me, I wear my socks in a different way, aren’t I something?! 

Horseshit. 

In summary, not a huge fan  

This is true. Work with a Villa fan and he is so bias it is unreal. Club has been unlucky, not had things go their way etc...

Even the Grealish situation. Apparently he will only leave if he is forced to go as he loves the club so much no amount of money in the world would make him leave Villa! What bollocks!!!

He came in work after the 3-1 friendly defeat to West Ham last week saying how fantastic they played and they looked like the premier league club!!!

Unbearable!

I don't have anything particularly against Villa (though I agree there is a certain arrogance amongst their fans over playing at champ level), but I really think the only thing that's going to save English football now is of the league and the authorities let a really big club go to the wall. There's now a cycle of 'spend money you don't have, gamble on success, when it doesn't work find someone else to spend money' and it distorts the competition and creates this unending sense of financial peril. And the fans of clubs like Villa are complicit in it all because they seem to dismiss the recent peril as bad luck and assume it'll all work out this time. It has to stop somewhere

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Agree.I go fishing with a few Villa fans and we have a great laugh. They’re very level headed and no billy big spuds. I have a lot of time for them

I think it’s important to realise how many clubs are being spoiled by cynical owners, while the fans look on in dismay.

Villa under Tony Xia have surely been left in the lurch just like others  - Blackburn, Swansea etc. Of course, this has only just come to light and the Villa fans were happy while they thought the financial injection was sound.

I know Villa fans both exiled and not and they are by and large a f@ckin pain in the arse. A real sense of entitlement and it really gets on my tits. We will see something similar from Forest fans tomorrow. Last season at home they arrived in a minibus and were quiet as mice. This time there are hoards of them coming. I wonder why! ?

A question, can Villa actually spend big money again during this window and the next as surely their FFP figure is either past or extremely close regardless of parachute payments?

I think of Villa as a proper big club fallen on bad times, I don't have any axe to grind with them at all. Leeds on the other hand, now that's arrogance personified. 

• Admin
13 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Publicity stunt even if true...

No-one moves from Barca to Villa unless they are hiding from the law

We signed someone from Juventus

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

A question, can Villa actually spend big money again during this window and the next as surely their FFP figure is either past or extremely close regardless of parachute payments?

A Villa supporting friend of mine reckons this recent investment means they are free to spend as before

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

We signed someone from Juventus

A Villa supporting friend of mine reckons this recent investment means they are free to spend as before

Unsure that's true tbh.

New investment doesn't necessarily cancel out existing issues- but then again given the EFL's increasingly inconsistent application of punishments/enforcement who the hell knows anymore! :dunno: They won't be investigated until March or so anyway, when the projected accounts for 18/19 will be analysed and the real accounts from season just gone and 16/17- then put together and if they don't make big sales (Grealish mainly) they will almost certainly fail FFP IMO. If they spend big, they absolutely will.

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

I can't see that phantom, surely their spending over the last couple of years would inhibit this years spending? My understanding is that spending levels are linked to turnover / income so the recent financial investment would have little or no difference. Yes, they've got money, again, but can't spend it.

I think your Villa supporting friend is incorrect but it's probably me that's wrong.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nah, that’s not true....they finished in the top 10 of the premier league for 15 of the 24 seasons they were up there, including finishing 2nd (once), 4th (once), 5th (once), 6th (six times), 7th (once), 8th (twice), 9th (once) 10th (twice)...

Yeh, like we’ve never sung ‘arrogant’ chants at away games...can’t believe that wound you up!

Not only away games, who can forget "we're coming for you" when we were 1-0 up against Wolves on New Year? :facepalm:

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not my experience at all. As an away fan, horrible ground to visit; cramped, poor facilities, like being back in the 1980s. Then there's the 'big day out' thing they always throw at us, and really believe. And now becoming one of those clubs that blatantly disregards the financial fair play principles and thinks they'll get away with it. 

Archived