IGNORED

Aston Villa

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why the vitriol against them?

I think it boils down to a simple fact.

We have a billionaire owner, but we don't spend money, either because of FFP or because Lansdown doesn't want to. Being frugal doesn't win you trophies.

They have a billionaire owner, and they've spent money. FFP is allegedly a worry for them, but they're continuing to spend.

At best, people are annoyed that they're skirting the rules to win the league with better players. At worst, we're just jealous that they spend money and we don't.

59 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Not my experience at all. As an away fan, horrible ground to visit; cramped, poor facilities, like being back in the 1980s. Then there's the 'big day out' thing they always throw at us, and really believe. And now becoming one of those clubs that blatantly disregards the financial fair play principles and thinks they'll get away with it. 

Each to their own but while I've never been to Villa Park- I quite like a not too fantastic away end- it's part of a football experience in a sense isn't it. Millwall's away end isn't flash! In short, it doesn't bother me a great deal.

Our facilities are nice but it keeps a bit of tradition going.

Know 2 Villa fans, both alright tbh but it's a tiny fraction of their fanbase. Definitely don't agree with their FFP views- but they still have this window and the next to rectify it via sales etc. The big day out thing can grate too, but isn't that part of football give and take banter.

15 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Apparently made a ‘surprise’ bid for Yerry Mina at Barcelona who has also been linked with Man Utd and Everton. £10m upfront with £10m more in add-ons. Falls someway short of Barca’s £40m valuation.

God I hate Villa! Do they not learn?! On the brink of bankruptcy a week or so ago. A bit of a cash injection, that I believe will still be under review for most this season, and they start throwing that sort of money around again. Absolutely ridiculous. Surely despite the new funding they should be under some sort of transfer embargo given the mess they were in?

Anyone know if they have fully paid the Kodjia fee yet before things go tits up for them again.

We could offer Barcelona £20 million for any of their £40million rated players aswell. 

The end result and net spend will result in the same. = zero, because it won’t happen! 

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Not my experience at all. As an away fan, horrible ground to visit; cramped, poor facilities, like being back in the 1980s. Then there's the 'big day out' thing they always throw at us, and really believe. And now becoming one of those clubs that blatantly disregards the financial fair play principles and thinks they'll get away with it. 

If we had a massive stadium that had staged countless FA Cup semi finals and major international matches and we’d won the top division in England seven times, the FA Cup seven times and the European Cup - we’d be goading away fans with ‘big day out’ chants...spoiler alert: football fans sing songs to wind up their opponents, they don’t really believe or mean what they sing...

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If we had a massive stadium that had staged countless FA Cup semi finals and major international matches and we’d won the top division in England seven times, the FA Cup seven times and the European Cup - we’d be goading away fans with ‘big day out’ chants...spoiler alert: football fans sing songs to wind up their opponents, they don’t really believe or mean what they sing...

Yeh, but apart from that what has Villa ever achieved?

:whistle:

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unsure that's true tbh.

New investment doesn't necessarily cancel out existing issues- but then again given the EFL's increasingly inconsistent application of punishments/enforcement who the hell knows anymore! :dunno: They won't be investigated until March or so anyway, when the projected accounts for 18/19 will be analysed and the real accounts from season just gone and 16/17- then put together and if they don't make big sales (Grealish mainly) they will almost certainly fail FFP IMO. If they spend big, they absolutely will.

Shall we open a book now on how inadequate any sanction the EFL might impose on Villa will be?

If and when they choose to make an example of a club it will be a small one.

Cynical, me?

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Shall we open a book now on how inadequate any sanction the EFL might impose on Villa will be?

If and when they choose to make an example of a club it will be a small one.

Cynical, me?

If they sell Grealish for £25m say, that would go a decent way towards their FFP.

Football League would probably see that as showing willing- loan Moreira and no more signings, while out go the fairly high waged Snodgrass and (I assume) Grabban, the big wage Terry- plus loanees of Johnstone, Tuzanabe and Onomah not returning. 

If it was a modest deficit, it would perhaps be a modest punishment- provided they have shown some willing.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If they sell Grealish for £25m say, that would go a decent way towards their FFP.

Football League would probably see that as showing willing- loan Moreira and no more signings, while out go the fairly high waged Snodgrass and (I assume) Grabban, the big wage Terry- plus loanees of Johnstone, Tuzanabe and Onomah not returning. 

If it was a modest deficit, it would perhaps be a modest punishment- provided they have shown some willing.

All fair comment of course but they are now saying that they will not sell anybody.

Just listened to the Totally Football League podcast on which a Villa fan, who himself does a Villa podcast, said everything was fine financially before saying he didn't understand FFP! :facepalm:

One thing you can guarantee is that if they spend big again Bruce will still plead poverty.

31 minutes ago, chinapig said:

All fair comment of course but they are now saying that they will not sell anybody.

Just listened to the Totally Football League podcast on which a Villa fan, who himself does a Villa podcast, said everything was fine financially before saying he didn't understand FFP! :facepalm:

One thing you can guarantee is that if they spend big again Bruce will still plead poverty.

It could be a negotiating position- but time is running out for this month- however they can still sell fairly big in Jan potentially, that would still help them make up a shortfall.

@MigratedRobin Define smaller clubs vs bigger clubs? Do you mean in this division or the big hitters in PL and Europe- because PSG have had to raise (and did raise) 75 million euros as per their target in transfer revenue this summer to get compliant again so took it fairly seriously. They have a lot of saleable assets- not all clubs do. The 2 main ones in Europe I can see who definitely have question marks over them FFP wise are PSG and Man City. Milan too, but they were allowed back in partially because CAS made UEFA produce accounts of Man City, PSG and Inter.

Definitely outside the top 5 top divisions in Europe though, clubs get punished a lot more readily (Turkey, Bulgaria to name 2. Probably Portugal, Holland etc too).

On the other hand though, FFP can and seems to stop more clubs going into administration and wrecking themselves financially so it seems to be having an effect, if a relatively limited one so far.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Yeh, but apart from that what has Villa ever achieved?

:whistle:

Credit where it’s due... they’ll be as big as Rovers, one day. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Credit where it’s due... they’ll be as big as Rovers, one day. 

Well Ray Graydon did move to Villa from Eastville.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But they have never won the JPT!

Archived