IGNORED

Heatwave 1976

sugarwray

The 1976 heatwave was memorable for City fans. 

City were promoted to the top flight that year and the Wurzels were number one with Combine Harvester.

By the end of August by the time City had their first home game against Stoke City, Elton John and Kiki Di had the number one spot with don’t go breaking my heart.

This was my first ever match. 70 pence for adults and 30 pence for juniors got you into the ground. There were so many home fans that they admitted home supporters to the away end, with the Stoke fans huddled in the middle of the open terracing, now the Atyeo (Dolman side).

The enduring memory was the bright green grass to be seen on entering the ground. Ashton Gate was seemingly the only patch of green grass in the West County. The hose pipe ban had been in place for much of the summer. City claimed that players bathwater had been used to water the pitch. They must have had a lot of baths.

The game ended 1-1 with the major incident being the Paul Cheeseley Injury resulting from a clash with Peter Shilton. 

Here’s hoping for another memorable season.

£10 for my season ticket (27 games) in the 'schoolboys enclosure' in front of the Dolman. Poor old Cheese. A fairly innocuous collision but he never played again. Saw him for 20 mins later that season during Les Bardsley's testimonial (Bobby Charlton played!) and he left the pitch in tears. Must have realised then it was all over, whereas today I'm sure that a surgical repair would have succeeded.

12 minutes ago, sugarwray said:

City were promoted to the top flight that year and the Wurzels were number one with Combine Harvester.

By the end of August by the time City had their first home game against Stoke City, Elton John and Kiki Di had the number one spot with don’t go breaking my heart.

This was my first ever match. 70 pence for adults and 30 pence for juniors got you into the ground. There were so many home fans that they admitted home supporters to the away end, with the Stoke fans huddled in the middle of the open terracing, now the Atyeo (Dolman side).

The enduring memory was the bright green grass to be seen on entering the ground. Ashton Gate was seemingly the only patch of green grass in the West County. The hose pipe ban had been in place for much of the summer. City claimed that players bathwater had been used to water the pitch. They must have had a lot of baths.

The game ended 1-1 with the major incident being the Paul Cheeseley Injury resulting from a clash with Peter Shilton. 

Shilton always gets the blame for Cheese's injury, and he was certainly involved, but it was the result of a clash with both Shilton and Pejic.

I thought the fences were put up over the Summer after promotion - in time for div .1 - so the Stoke fans would have had their own area? Although untroublesome City fans were always allowed in the corner by the Dolman even after segregation.

It was another balmy night after the Portsmouth game, just a few months apart, with the notable BCFC occurrences inbetween being the promotion parade and celebrations at the Council House and the unforgettable win at Highbury.

A great time to be 17/18, even if the weather, City's success, and being allowed into pubs, meant revising for A levels very much took a back seat.

17 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

£10 for my season ticket (27 games) in the 'schoolboys enclosure' in front of the Dolman. Poor old Cheese. A fairly innocuous collision but he never played again. Saw him for 20 mins later that season during Les Bardsley's testimonial (Bobby Charlton played!) and he left the pitch in tears. Must have realised then it was all over, whereas today I'm sure that a surgical repair would have succeeded.

Why 27 games? It was 23.

”Cheese” did play again, he had a comeback match (Birmingham home, I think) later on that season, but it didn’t work out & he never played again.

My recollection was 23 home games and up to 4 cup games, but it's 30+ years ago. You certainly got 2/3 cup games thrown in, subject, of course, to draws and qualification. The cup games included league and FA cup, but I can't recall whether we paid extra for the Anglo- Scottish. 

2 hours ago, sugarwray said:

I'm sure it wasn't 70p for adults and 30p for juniors in 1976. I recall it being 90p for juniors and about £1.80 for adults. This is evidenced by the second post on this thread where the poster paid £10 for a junior season ticket to stand. 21 matches at 30p a time would mean that it would've cost him £6.30 to potd  a saving of more than 33% on a season ticket!

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

I'm sure it wasn't 70p for adults and 30p for juniors in 1976. I recall it being 90p for juniors and about £1.80 for adults. This is evidenced by the second post on this thread where the poster paid £10 for a junior season ticket to stand. 21 matches at 30p a time would mean that it would've cost him £6.30 to potd  a saving of more than 33% on a season ticket!

to get in the park end 75/76 as a boy was 35p then when we went up it doubled to 70p think it kept going up every season after that

Not sure when the term 'Park End' came in but it was after 75/76.

It was and forever will be in my mind The Open End.

Cheesley's injury didn't seem so serious on the day and only later gained notoriety once we realused how long he'd be out.

43 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The heat won't help a pressing game tomorrow, I wonder if we will try to adapt? 

Do you think we will see official water breaks?

Gonna give all the ball boys handheld fans to point at our players, but they can use the fans on themselves when a Forest player is nearby.

24 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I remember that summer very well. Magic. 

Preseason and early seasons games were fun that year in local football.

Lots of pitches were like playing on corrugated concrete.

5 hours ago, handsofclay said:

That sounds about right hoc. I remember my old dad moaning that it cost him £3 to get the city special bus to and from Kingswood park and get him and me into the enclosure. Then again, £3 was quite a bit of money in those days i expect. 

The summer of 1976 was blistering every day as I remember it, none of the cooler days we're getting now and it seemed to go on forever!

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I remember the weather was brilliant for the win at Highbury in the first game of that season, one of my happiest memories watching City

Correct, but the heat was not oppressive then as it has been in recent days.

10 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Pretty sure it was 75p in the EE in the promotion season with no reduction for juniors and it went up to £1 when we were promoted.

4 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Pretty sure it was 75p in the EE in the promotion season with no reduction for juniors and it went up to £1 when we were promoted.

Always 'juve' prices in the EE as far as I remember - 3/4 people wide and the longest queues in the ground - and many in it were far from juveniles. :whistle2:

9 hours ago, Gazred said:

I was born on the hottest day in the middle of that heat wave. Fair play to my Mother and forever grateful my Dad was a red.

CTID

Forever grateful for my dad being Blue,made it easy to be a red

13 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Shilton always gets the blame for Cheese's injury, and he was certainly involved, but it was the result of a clash with both Shilton and Pejic.

I thought the fences were put up over the Summer after promotion - in time for div .1 - so the Stoke fans would have had their own area? Although untroublesome City fans were always allowed in the corner by the Dolman even after segregation.

It was another balmy night after the Portsmouth game, just a few months apart, with the notable BCFC occurrences inbetween being the promotion parade and celebrations at the Council House and the unforgettable win at Highbury.

A great time to be 17/18, even if the weather, City's success, and being allowed into pubs, meant revising for A levels very much took a back seat.

A kindred spirit... that's exactly the excuse I  made for firking my A levels?

Archived