IGNORED

Happy New Season Everyone!!

Well I’m a bitter and twisted cynic like most, however city is one area that for some reason I draw a blind spot once July roles around and by August I am just very excited and can’t wait to start watching them again.

Its not that I think we’ll go up, I just miss going to the gate with my friends and family and having football to look forward to on a Saturday. Having 3 boys who have now been satisfactorily brainwashed means there excitement is infectious (hopefully new shirts today), the sun will be out, the gate and Bristol, will look  stunning and hopefully in excess of 20k (a far cry from the 6k/7k in the mid nineties) will create a great atmosphere. I hope we win, but just to be cheering on City again will feel nice.

We just love watching City and today it starts again.

Hooray.

Home on the first day of the season on what should be a hot, sunny day, it’s back!

love this feeling. Even love the thought of trudgin through cold, wet Saturday afternoons in February to get down the gate.

football really is special.

here’s to a great day and a sgood a season as possible. Enjoy and happy 1st day of the season all!

Special day for me. I grew up watching City with my Dad and Grandad. Today, for the very first time my son will be doing the same! And so for the first time in 10 years, three generations of our family will be watching the match together. I’m chuffed to bits.

Football’s been a slow burn for my boy, but the World Cup finally gave him the bug. Can’t wait to get there with him today!

20 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Special day for me. I grew up watching City with my Dad and Grandad. Today, for the very first time my son will be doing the same! And so for the first time in 10 years, three generations of our family will be watching the match together. I’m chuffed to bits.

Football’s been a slow burn for my boy, but the World Cup finally gave him the bug. Can’t wait to get there with him today!

Getting my kids into it is the best feeling I’ve had following City, it’s genuinely magical. I’ve brought a load of their mates down over the last few seasons as well and I reckon between me and a few friends we’ve got about 12 young lads right into it. They’ll all have the same life of rollercoaster ups and downs that we’ve had over the years and they’ll love it! 

Hope it’s a good game for you and your lad @ChippenhamRed 

First game of the season is always a bit extra special. The remarkable emotional roller-coaster that we will experience yet again is all set to restart..........

Strap yourself in, hold on tight, scream and shout yourself silly and most of all enjoy supporting Bristol City.

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

Getting my kids into it is the best feeling I’ve had following City, it’s genuinely magical. I’ve brought a load of their mates down over the last few seasons as well and I reckon between me and a few friends we’ve got about 12 young lads right into it. They’ll all have the same life of rollercoaster ups and downs that we’ve had over the years and they’ll love it! 

Hope it’s a good game for you and your lad @ChippenhamRed 

Thank you so much. My grandad died a few months before my son was born so this is a particularly special day for my dad and I as we pass the baton on!

For once I’d probably say I want a good game more than the three points, for my boy’s sake. He will value entertainment more than the win.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thank you so much. My grandad died a few months before my son was born so this is a particularly special day for my dad and I as we pass the baton on!

For once I’d probably say I want a good game more than the three points, for my boy’s sake. He will value entertainment more than the win.

Sorry about your grandad mate. Having put my 3 boys through the ringer, I can only say that football is the least important thing and will be until their probably 12. 

More importantly let them have fun and try to encourage them to feel free to muck about etc. sit with other kids and do on.

Dont know where you sit but we’re the unreserved bit (having started in the east end, then atyeo) andmy bots love the noise, freedom and general shenanigans, it’s the only thing that’s held their interest over the years.

Why football clubs would think a 5-10 year old wants to sit still in silence for almost 2 hours is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Sorry about your grandad mate. Having put my 3 boys through the ringer, I can only say that football is the least important thing and will be until their probably 12. 

More importantly let them have fun and try to encourage them to feel free to muck about etc. sit with other kids and do on.

Dont know where you sit but we’re the unreserved bit (having started in the east end, then atyeo) andmy bots love the noise, freedom and general shenanigans, it’s the only thing that’s held their interest over the years.

Why football clubs would think a 5-10 year old wants to sit still in silence for almost 2 hours is beyond me.

Thank you! We’re in the lower Lansdown today as that was all I could get at fairly short notice, although our traditional home is Dolman E28. Trying to teach him a few of the basic songs at the moment, plus the traditional dinner table salt-and-pepper pot offside explanation!

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good on you and enjoy watching them turn into the frustrated adult City fans that we all become. 

My Dad first watched City around 1910 when he came to Bristol to visit an uncle in Coronation Road. His visits to City were few and far between until he moved to work at Filton in mid thirties. 

He took me in April 1950 so between us we've got a few years in. I still miss him, his last game was in 1984, but I'm so pleased that he set me on the correct, Red, path. 

Enjoy the afternoon with your family. 

Some very nice comments on here, it's a special day today. Woke up with a smile on my face, thinking about what the new season and what it may bring, highs, lows, elation and deflation. I would like the new players to gel, a solid home form and consistency pre and post Christmas with a solid 10th place finish. Is that to much to ask? It probably is but on the plus side I have no more hair to lose.....so bring on the stress. 

45 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Good on you and enjoy watching them turn into the frustrated adult City fans that we all become. 

My Dad first watched City around 1910 when he came to Bristol to visit an uncle in Coronation Road. His visits to City were few and far between until he moved to work at Filton in mid thirties. 

He took me in April 1950 so between us we've got a few years in. I still miss him, his last game was in 1984, but I'm so pleased that he set me on the correct, Red, path. 

Enjoy the afternoon with your family. 

I love how football is passed on between generations.

Interesting fact about my Grandad is he was a church minister and didn’t consider it right to go to football on a Sunday. As a result he didn’t go to the play off final against Brighton, and missed a number of other big games over the years for this reason.

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So just to close the loop on this following some very nice comments earlier, pleased to report that my son had a fantastic day at his first ever game.

The early goal was perfect to give him an early taste of that great adrenaline rush and exactly what I was hoping for. By the end, he’s had his head in his hands countless times, told me he thought the ref was rubbish, and berated his grandad for moaning all the time. He’s going to fit right in.

Great day, even if the game itself was average.

16 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So just to close the loop on this following some very nice comments earlier, pleased to report that my son had a fantastic day at his first ever game.

The early goal was perfect to give him an early taste of that great adrenaline rush and exactly what I was hoping for. By the end, he’s had his head in his hands countless times, told me he thought the ref was rubbish, and berated his grandad for moaning all the time. He’s going to fit right in.

Great day, even if the game itself was average.

He`ll thank you for this one day. Or maybe not!

Archived