IGNORED

Bristol City v Nottingham Forest Match Day 1

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good post- I’m amazed it took so long for Forest to catch on (Pre Game Analysis ?) To press on Webster and Pack and make us pass short to Baker

If we are going to pursue the ethos and improve we need another footballing centre half 

( Isnt it F*****G great that the footballs back though , giving us so much more to ‘debate’ :thumbsup::clapping:)

Agreed- incremental improvement, means a second footballing centre half undoubtedly would be next o  my list- press a ball playing centre back and it makes a hell of a difference.

On the flipside of that, if you have 2 centre backs who aren't ball playing first and foremost- sit off a bit, press the midfield let them both have the ball and they (the opposition) will be at a loss for a while.

Along with a 3 man central midfield I think that's top of my list. If we get that 2nd ball playing centre back a lot of useful and intriguing tactical, fluidity of football options and styles will all open up IMO.

Just had a look at Forest's equaliser.

Pack was on the halfway line for my money needed to be in a far more defensive position and a ball headed over him took him out of the game completely, he only arrived in our box as the ball hit the back of the net.

Baker was weak twice once on the halfway line when to be honest a foul might have been more appropriate and again when defending the header.

Brownhill was ambling back trying to cover for Pack.

The only person who came out of the goal with any credit was Eliasson who actually managed to stop their man trying to cross, but sadly he was left with 2 to mark and a pass back to the other guy resulted in the cross for the goal.

That said although we looked rocky for another 10 minutes or so, little by little we managed to wrestle our way back into midfield contention, something that has hardly if ever happened in the past 2 years and the introduction of Smith cemented that, it looked for all the world after the equaliser that we would go on to lose that game, so that was an improvement.

To be honest it was not a great game, it was a game that lacked skill and I cannot understand people purring about Forest because apart from the equaliser they never looked like scoring, whereas we had 2 cleared off of the line and Bryan's shot the a striker should have followed up on.

We have to go to Bolton looking for a win, these are games we should be looking to win if we are actually to show that we are still improving.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's why you play 3 in midfield. Especially v good sides on hot days.

You refer to the new keeper, and the distribution thing- truth is that is how you play out from the back..short passing is how it's done.

Through the lines, between the lines that's how it is done- keeper short to Webster (or the full backs, depends on the circs). Webster to Pack (Brownhill decent technically IMO).

Last year, a pair of Flint and Baker...not so capable IMO in that regard. Best of the 3 would have been retain Flint, buy Webster but obviously that's all hypothetical isn't it. Fielding could distribute it well at short range I'm sure- vary it yeah, a few long passes out fine or a quick roll out for a break, but with Webster now we can play the shorter passing game more readily again I think.

Well said. It baffles me that LJ seems to be unwilling to even consider 4-3-3.

I guess all coaches have their preferred formations and blind spots but I do find it frustrating that he seems to have ruled it out entirely.

26 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Well said. It baffles me that LJ seems to be unwilling to even consider 4-3-3.

I guess all coaches have their preferred formations and blind spots but I do find it frustrating that he seems to have ruled it out entirely.

Agreed. Been calling for it, even as a Plan B for about a year on and off.  Now I'm no manager but knowing how this League is changing and evolving- quite rapidly at that- our setup (especially with more orthodox full backs and wingers than the great run last season) could see us slipping back and left behind I fear. 

Not towards relegation, but in a sense of stagnation, perhaps wasting opportunities to move forward.

18 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Horrendously average ? You are having a laugh mate

classic JB today. Some good moments - he is a player but too many daft mistakes

hopefully he will settle if he stays and gets his head down

Re Pato : he looks like he needs more bulk to me. Skinny as **** and cant challenge physically. Josh would also benefit from a bit extra bulk

Agreed, has anyone ever seen Jimmy Krankie and Pato in the same room together ? 

21 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But but but

we conceded goals last season because of Flint Jon

Didnt you hear

No way Murphy scores if Flint is marking him not Baker

Watched Baker closely today and doesn’t convince me at all not sure what his ‘strengths’ are

Id have Flint over two Nathan Bakers

Awkward on ball gets done in air costing us goals here and there last season and today

Thought Webster was ok and would liked to have had Webster and Flinf together out of Webster , Flint , Wright , Baker

I don’t think your post is rubbish, but you’re mad if you think we haven’t conceded scores of similar goals with Flint in the team.