IGNORED

Bristol City v Nottingham Forest Match Day 1

City played well for first 15mins but that was as good as it got.  Having taken the lead they seemed to ease up and allowed Forest to re-establishe themselves in the game. I thought Pato was particularly poor and was delighted to se him replaced.

Second half wasn't any better but the gaping hole in City's midfield became more apparent and explains why nothing of any quality was created. Maybe LJ has a strategy of playing two banks of four with the full backs tucked it allowing the opposition the ball out wide. City certainly defended very narrowly today.

But.......a draw was about right imv.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

RE first bit.

Yep, crossed wires on my part, sorry.

I think I'm used to disagreeing with you :laugh:

RE second bit (the Paterson part)

It's a conundrum. I do think you are a bit harsh on him, but the general point you make is absolutely true with his dramatic drop off in form post illness.

I think, even while in this poor form he has had spells where he still creates chances, but he goes missing much more often.

He has had consistancy issues throughout his career, but at his age that shouldnt be the case any more. At the moment he wouldnt be in my first choice 11, but with Diedhiou out for another 5 games it is a tougher decision.

Not really I thought Taylor did more when he came on and some players were tiring at that time. Adelkalum can play there, Eisa could probably play there, at a push COD or Eliasson can play there.

On another point I was also slightly disappointed with twice during the game Paterson in the first half and Brownhill in the 2nd both got into good scoring positions on the edge of the box and both attempted to caress the ball in instead of lacing it, also I believe that Bryan was entitled to expect a striker following up on his 2nd half strike that their keeper pushed back into the danger area.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Understand what you’re getting at EMB  :thumbsup: and that’s the dilemna

We want IMHO , Pack getting the ball and being the conductor and Smiths energy pressing high

But it would also be ideal to have Pack passing balls around their box and Korey as a defensive safety net when we get broken in as , if the defence are in the ***** , as you rightly point out it’s normally Smith that bales us out

If we are going to play out then Pack (IMHO) needs to be in close contact with keeper / Centre Halves at that point 

That’s the dilemna

Of course a Great passer who tackles like a terrier and has lots of energy , covers ground ,and has real bite would be good, !!!!!!!

and cost a lot of money !!

Welcome to the Club  Mr Smith-Pack ;)

or perhaps we could clone them and have two pairs of them !!

;)

We do not possess a player who can unlock defences, in fact we run out of ideas in and around the opponents box and not even Pack can do that but he is the best that we have got and better than nothing or until LJ sees the light, Smith is not a player who is going to excel with assists but will excel in bailing us out.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Not really I thought Taylor did more when he came on and some players were tiring at that time. Adelkalum can play there, Eisa could probably play there, at a push COD or Eliasson can play there.

On another point I was also slightly disappointed with twice during the game Paterson in the first half and Brownhill in the 2nd both got into good scoring positions on the edge of the box and both attempted to caress the ball in instead of lacing it, also I believe that Bryan was entitled to expect a striker following up on his 2nd half strike that their keeper pushed back into the danger area.

I'll keep an eye out for those things when the game is up on BCTV.

Taylor could well take Patersons spot during these 5 games, and if he was the better performing today then him starting the next wouldn't be objectionable.

I like the idea of COD and Eliasson wide and Brownhill in the middle, so reluctant to put one of them more central.

Forgot about Adelakun because he's not been mentioned much, is he fit?

I do think Eisa and Weimann could be a good partnership, though on paper Diedhiou (when back) and Weimann, or Diedhiou and Eisa would be my first pick longer term.

8 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

We do not possess a player who can unlock defences, in fact we run out of ideas in and around the opponents box and not even Pack can do that but he is the best that we have got and better than nothing or until LJ sees the light, Smith is not a player who is going to excel with assists but will excel in bailing us out.

Problem is we need what both offer (Unless we spend serious ££££ on upgrading at least one of them)

Add Josh to the mix as it gets confusing

More energy and pace than Marlon but not the same passing range , and not the  the terrier legs and defensive fire fighting Korey gives us

Good quick feet and a mix of Korey and Marlon in some ways without excelling above them on their individual strengths 

I would like Korey as my sitting Midfielder but, as I’ve said I think Marlon needs to be the pivot between the centre halves if we are  pursuing the playing out ethos which we clearly are

A good mix in the combination of the 3 ?

Our performances (at times) don’t back that up

And none of them get enough goals

Combine the theee and you’ve got a top midfielder

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Random thoughts:

Reasonable first game.  Nothing to write home about, nothing to worry about either.

Probably watching two teams who will trouble neither end of the table.

Eliasson has come on a bit - fantastic crossing, needs to work on winning throws/corners and getting stuck in.

Bryan looked below his usual standards at left back - should be playing left midfield if we're going 4 at the back.

We missed Diedhiou or some muscle up front.

Smith has to start.  He's the leader.

None of the signings looked out of place, maybe we had a summer where we didn't drop a bollock.

Webster looked a ball player, Weimann worked hard as expected but shouldn't play up top on his own and Mäenpää looked fine.

Hunt was a bit nervy and needs to settle a bit.

Baker had a poor game and the back four overall need time to become a unit.

Not sure why Taylor came on ahead of Eisa.

Unless Watkins is it we still need a real playmaker in midfield as a matter of priority.

It was hot.

The one thing on which everyone can agree - although we haven't heard from core321 yet! :)

57 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Again your comments amaze me because, I cannot think of another person who believes he is better out wide and not a starter long term really?, I cannot recall him being dropped much at all last season and I fully expect him to start at Bolton next week, that is what happened for most of last season, I don't see it changing this season.

Also playing him wide?, at least Eliasson (who has improved) and COD are some help defensively, Paterson is a liability.

Just mean when everyone is fit and not suspended think he will be a bench player. Eliasson, Watkins, Diedhiou, Adelakun, Weimann, Taylor, COD and Eisa all players that can take minutes from Pato going forward. 

Can’t argue with @BobBobSuperBob about Pato being a player that acts like he is working hard. Don’t think he is lazy but not the natural workrate of others we have which is why I have suggested he is perhaps a better option against the likes of Bolton and Rotherham who will defend deeper. 

The central wide thing we just won’t agree on. I know he had good spells centrally last season but think a large part of that was playing with Bobby Reid who covered so much ground. Think it made it easier for Pato not being the main creative threat.  Not sure he can get to those levels paired with others in this side. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Just mean when everyone is fit and not suspended think he will be a bench player. Eliasson, Watkins, Diedhiou, Adelakun, Weimann, Taylor, COD and Eisa all players that can take minutes from Pato going forward. 

Can’t argue with @BobBobSuperBob about Pato being a player that acts like he is working hard. Don’t think he is lazy but not the natural workrate of others we have which is why I have suggested he is perhaps a better option against the likes of Bolton and Rotherham who will defend deeper. 

The central wide thing we just won’t agree on. I know he had good spells centrally last season but think a large part of that was playing with Bobby Reid who covered so much ground. Think it made it easier for Pato not being the main creative threat.  Not sure he can get to those levels paired with others in this side. 

Said that as we were watching today and discussing him

At Home against a side where we are dominant and have lots of possession , in theory he’s ideal and should be just what we need - one of our few keys to unlock the door

When games turn against us he always seems to dissapear , and in some ways that’s when we need him most , to get on the ball , weave some magic for us and turn the game / momentum round

Frustrating

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'll keep an eye out for those things when the game is up on BCTV.

Taylor could well take Patersons spot during these 5 games, and if he was the better performing today then him starting the next wouldn't be objectionable.

I like the idea of COD and Eliasson wide and Brownhill in the middle, so reluctant to put one of them more central.

Forgot about Adelakun because he's not been mentioned much, is he fit?

I do think Eisa and Weimann could be a good partnership, though on paper Diedhiou (when back) and Weimann, or Diedhiou and Eisa would be my first pick longer term.

Just read this from LJ out for 10 to 14 weeks after an ankle op.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lee-johnson-confirms-injury-blow-1862579

• Thanks 1

I was quite underwhelmed by our performance today. We didn't really pose much of an attacking threat or impose ourselves on them. Up front we missed a physical presence and didn't seem to be able to play the ball into space for our players to run on to. At the back we were OK but defended too narrow at times, leaving our wingers exposed (like with the cross for their goal). 

Forest looked the better side and were comfortable on the ball, but they seemed toothless in attack.

Overall a draw was probably a fair result.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Super said:

The forest number 5 is some player bossed the midfield.

Agreed, he's a class act.  Happy to take a point, we looked a work in progress with some rusty legs. Not sure about 442, we looked better when Smith came on and we moved to 433. Some loose passes and sloppy mistakes, but some flashes of real quality. Mid-table.

6 minutes ago, Offside said:

I was quite underwhelmed by our performance today. We didn't really pose much of an attacking threat or impose ourselves on them. Up front we missed a physical presence and didn't seem to be able to play the ball into space for our players to run on to. At the back we were OK but defended too narrow at times, leaving our wingers exposed (like with the cross for their goal). 

Forest looked the better side and were comfortable on the ball, but they seemed toothless in attack.

Overall a draw was probably a fair result.

I don’t think Forest were the better team for the first 30mins but got into the game in the second half and looked decent

Lets not forget they have spent 25m, have a decent manager, the weather was really hot and the lads can’t be upto speed 100% yet, that along with the fact we still have 2 to 3 first team regulars to come back into the team, I think overall it was a decent and fair result as much as i’d Like to have seen City win 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

I was not infused when Hunt signed but I think he looked good on the ball today and Webster also looked tidy 

Really?  I thought Webster often looked nervous and panicky. And would Forest have scored their goal with Flint there? Probably not.

As for our creativity, we fielded two potentially strong wingers, started well and scored a goal after getting a corner from creating an overload on the left. After that, we seemed not to get the ball to them enough - particularly ODowda. I didn’t think he was poor, but that he didn’t get given the ball in any potentially good situations.

To me, with Eliasson and O’ Dowda there, we need to ensure the full backs combine properly with them. They have the ability to penetrate well if they can get some space out wide. I don’t think we’ll do it through the middle so often.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Really?  I thought Webster often looked nervous and panicky. And would Forest have scored their goal with Flint there? Probably not.

As for our creativity, we fielded two potentially strong wingers, started well and scored a goal after getting a corner from creating an overload on the left. After that, we seemed not to get the ball to them enough - particularly ODowda. I didn’t think he was poor, but that he didn’t get given the ball in any potentially good situations.

To me, with Eliasson and O’ Dowda there, we need to ensure the full backs combine properly with them. They have the ability to penetrate well if they can get some space out wide. I don’t think we’ll do it through the middle so often.

In didnt see it today but I really think ODowda could kick on this season if he stays fit and we play wide.  What was the verdict ?

20 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I didn’t think Webster was bad, maybe he was nervous on his home debut, but I think he looks a half decent signing but I liked Hunt and as much as I rate Bryan and don’t want him to leave, he tried to be too clever with the ball once or twice today rather than keeping it simple and effective 

Edited by AshtonG666
1 hour ago, BS13Red said:

Based on that performance I’d take the £3million Derby offered for Joe Bryan and run. Horrendously average championship left back, “one of our own” when it suits him.

Horrendously average ? You are having a laugh mate

classic JB today. Some good moments - he is a player but too many daft mistakes

hopefully he will settle if he stays and gets his head down

Re Pato : he looks like he needs more bulk to me. Skinny as **** and cant challenge physically. Josh would also benefit from a bit extra bulk

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

I didn’t think Webster was bad, maybe he was nervous on his home debut, but I think he looks a half decent signing but I liked Hunt and as much as I rate Bryan and don’t want him to leave, he tried to be too clever with the ball once or twice today rather than keeping it simple and effective 

On the other hand Joe created a scoring chance and forced a save, which few did.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am pretty positive after todays performance. Definitely can do better. But just disappointed with Baker's defending on the goal. Don't know why he is so far off Murphy when the cross comes in. If he was a bit closer then he would have been able to get a proper nudge on him to stop him having a clean head on it. I wonder if Wright comes in when he is fit for Baker. LJ seems to like Wright. 

But but but

we conceded goals last season because of Flint Jon

Didnt you hear

No way Murphy scores if Flint is marking him not Baker

Watched Baker closely today and doesn’t convince me at all not sure what his ‘strengths’ are

Id have Flint over two Nathan Bakers

Awkward on ball gets done in air costing us goals here and there last season and today

Thought Webster was ok and would liked to have had Webster and Flinf together out of Webster , Flint , Wright , Baker

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1