IGNORED

Smith

Nuno Gomes

15 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Not 100% fit.

I was hoping that was the case, as he got absolutely clattered by a Bournemouth player last Friday (although if fitness and match readiness was a qualification for starting I'm not sure how O'Dowda came straight in).

To be honest Lee will need to make the tough decisions to sacrifice players like Korey at times to give (for example) Brownhill opportunities to play centrally and see how the team develops so credit to LJ for trying it. 

But having said in the pre-season predictions thread that in my view the potential upside this season would be Brownhill and O'Dowda stepping up another level in their impressive development, both looked a little lost.

I'm sure they'll come good but the required standard wasn't there yesterday. LJ got the subs spot on, I think we'd all have made the same ones from what was happening on the pitch and what we had to chose from.

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

To be honest Lee will need to make the tough decisions to sacrifice players like Korey at times to give (for example) Brownhill opportunities to play centrally and see how the team develops so credit to LJ for trying it. 

If it was me, specially seeing how Forest bossed MF yesterday, I'd give Brownhill a run in a No10 sort of role. It would give us a little more solidity when not in possession, but his energy would be good supporting the forwards. Also he doesn't give the ball away nearly as much as Pato.

39 minutes ago, Olé said:

I was hoping that was the case, as he got absolutely clattered by a Bournemouth player last Friday (although if fitness and match readiness was a qualification for starting I'm not sure how O'Dowda came straight in).

But having said in the pre-season predictions thread that in my view the potential upside this season would be Brownhill and O'Dowda stepping up another level in their impressive development, both looked a little lost.

I'm sure they'll come good but the required standard wasn't there yesterday. LJ got the subs spot on, I think we'd all have made the same ones from what was happening on the pitch and what we had to chose from.

Can't credit him for it at all.  Simple fact is we nearly always struggle in games when we don't have Smith and Pack in the middle.  We underestimate how good they are.  

I'd rather the manager got the selection right rather than wasting subs correcting his errors.

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Because he's not that foolish..  No Pack and Smith means a midfield of Walsh and Brownhill....

Korey Smith is his player in all but name. Had him at previous club's, recommended him to us when he knew he would have to sell him. 

This is just shit stirring bollocks.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Korey Smith is his player in all but name. Had him at previous club's, recommended him to us when he knew he would have to sell him. 

This is just shit stirring bollocks.

No I'm not.  I can't see any football reason for not playing Smith and Pack.  We look lightweight without both of them playing.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

No I'm not.  I can't see any football reason for not playing Smith and Pack.  We look lightweight without both of them playing.

You don't know anything but what you see on the pitch, fitness levels, might play a part, it could have been tactical as well. Bringing on a fit Korey against players who have played for 70 minutes in that heat seems a good idea to me.

20 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The football reason is probably because Brownhill is more attacking and wanted that balance in centre mid.

Maybe there’s something else.. maybe Smith has a minor injury, maybe he’s unwell, maybe he hasn’t been performing in training recently.. not everything has to be a conspiracy.

Johnson has been here for 2.5 years now, if he really wanted to ship out all of his inherited players - he’s had ample time to do it.

I think the issue with Korey and Marlon playing together is it’s not a central midfield that scores enough goals. Pack had to play yesterday as the rest of the midfielders and strikers were all tiny and I assume brownhill picked above Korey as he is a bigger goal threat (Altho of course not as good of a ball winning midfielder). 

Ultimately I think all 3 will rotate all season and competition in that area is a v good thing. Far better than brownhill being parked out of position on the right. 

36 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I can.

Too similar. No pace. Not good defensively. No creativity in attack. Rarely if ever score. 

Is that enough? 

They are the best we have which is why we'll struggle this season. 

49 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I can.

Too similar. No pace. Not good defensively. No creativity in attack. Rarely if ever score. 

Is that enough? 

They are the best we have which is why we'll struggle this season. 

I was only speaking about what we have.  I can certainly imagine a better CM partnership.  People forget though that all our best moments have come with those 2 in CM.   The grass is always greener..

1 hour ago, Flint says No said:

Disagree. Thought Brownhill and Pack were superb yesterday 

Pack yes. 

Brownhill. Hmmmm. I still can’t see what anyone sees in him!! Yes he was played RW last year and did a job but i just dont get the hype. Cant see what he brings to the team whereas take Pack out and we are clueless ( even more ) without him. 

Anyone who watched the Bournemouth game would know he got his ankle booted in the game. I feared the worst as he limped off after he spent a good few minutes on the floor. 

So LJ did the right thing and rested him. 

Smith has had enough ankle issues and we certainly don’t need to make it worse. 

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Pack yes. 

Brownhill. Hmmmm. I still can’t see what anyone sees in him!! Yes he was played RW last year and did a job but i just dont get the hype. Cant see what he brings to the team whereas take Pack out and we are clueless ( even more ) without him. 

I thought Josh was very good yesterday, only one misplaced pass that I can recall right at the end when he was dead on his feet. As we now have three genuinely good CMs then we`re going to have to get used to an element of rotation and lose this blind spot some fans have that if a player doesn`t start he must have been dropped for some reason none of us know about.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

I was only speaking about what we have.  I can certainly imagine a better CM partnership.  People forget though that all our best moments have come with those 2 in CM.   The grass is always greener..

Not this year.

Archived