IGNORED

Atmosphere

SStandUp

9 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Mate everything you said was bang on. There's like 70 odd people that every week are up for it and 20K ******* zombies just sat there doing **** all Just "watching the game" you can do both you know.

Then people have the cheek to say the atmosphere is bad, no ******* shit when there is only a coach full even bloody trying. 

Too ******* hot? ... piss off, waste of a ******* seat

what's wrong with just wanting to watch the game, why should anyone be made out to be somehow less of a supporter just because their not shouting their head off all game.

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

what's wrong with just wanting to watch the game, why should anyone be made out to be somehow less of a supporter just because their not shouting their head off all game.

I think it’s the frustration of boring posts claiming there is no atmosphere. Sswolf points out, if only a couple of hundred bother trying then it’s gardly going to be electric.

For what it’s worth we have a great time in the south stand and sing quite regularly. Apologies if it’s not up to standard or entertains enough for others around the ground.

If we’re being honest, I like to sing and shout mainly for my own enjoyment. If I didint, I wouldn’t and I certainly would moan about a lack of atmosphere if it’s technically my fault for sitting in silence 

10 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Mate everything you said was bang on. There's like 70 odd people that every week are up for it and 20K ******* zombies just sat there doing **** all Just "watching the game" you can do both you know.

Then people have the cheek to say the atmosphere is bad, no ******* shit when there is only a coach full even bloody trying. 

You don’t help yourself with posts like this. 

It is a shame that atmospheres aren’t what they once were, but the demographic and entire culture of football support has changed. It’s not the working class game it once was, it now draws from a much wider section of society, and you have people now paying £40 for a ticket to watch unremarkable millionaire second tier footballers. That changes the relationship between player and supporter. There is an expectation to be entertained. Regrettable though it may be, the game has moved on. Anyone willing to spend £100s on a season ticket or £30-40 for a match ticket has earned the right to be there and does not deserve to be described as a “waste of a seat” by anyone.

At the end of the day, if you buy your season ticket in the SINGING SECTION, you’re probably expected to sing. If you in the other 80% of the ground, you’re not expected to sing, but you’re also not expected to complain about the atmosphere. There’s about 32 I counted yesterday that try and get an atmosphere going, with the other 1000 in the SS seeming not interested because of the heat ffs. 

Theres also the excuse that the atmosphere decreases if we’re playing poorly, however how dyou think all the shit teams that have amazing atmospheres cope???

4 hours ago, 054123 said:

Fair point. I could barely hear forest and considering it was first game of the season thought there would be much more noise from them

Thought Forest we're loud around the time they scored and after for 20 mins, being nearly half way in bottom lansdown I can hear both sets equally, must admit did think the city atmosphere was weak most of the match was wondering if there would be more from the Dolman block A and B or lansdown nearer the away fans this season as people moved about but circumstances, money and dynamics of the modern fan probably mean we won't see this happen. 

52 minutes ago, SonOfDjuric said:

At the end of the day, if you buy your season ticket in the SINGING SECTION, you’re probably expected to sing. If you in the other 80% of the ground, you’re not expected to sing, but you’re also not expected to complain about the atmosphere. There’s about 32 I counted yesterday that try and get an atmosphere going, with the other 1000 in the SS seeming not interested because of the heat ffs. 

Theres also the excuse that the atmosphere decreases if we’re playing poorly, however how dyou think all the shit teams that have amazing atmospheres cope???

Who are the shit teams with amazing atmospheres?

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I don’t have any problem with people in certain places not singing. But as you say, there’s an area where people can go where they know what to expect and most in there can’t be arsed. The bit that’s meant to me the “noisy place” is full of onlookers with only a small number in there trying most of the game. 

As said above, maybe I’m just too old for it now but I’m getting to the point where I can’t be arsed with it all 

That's the issue IMHO Harry, the success of S82 could be it's downfall in that any spare places will be taken up by 'onlookers' who can say they're part of it. There's not a whole lot that can be done about it TBH.

To me, it's common sense that if you get a ticket in the S82 corner, you should expect noise and be a part of it but it didn't happen yesterday. Hopefully, it returns to the boisterous area it was when everyone's back from holidays etc and the day trippers have to go elsewhere. 

13 minutes ago, SonOfDjuric said:

Palace is a good example, Watford too, Boro also have a dece atmosphere.

On the continent, teams like Dynamo Dresden, Sankt Pauli, even our amigos Willem II too

Watford and Boro, really? They’re hardly famous for atmosphere. I went to Watford a few seasons ago and it was flat as a pancake.

As for “shit teams”, both have enjoyed a lot more success than we have over the last 20 years.

Palace I’ll accept to an extent, but again they’ve been a lot more successful than us.

Continental teams have an entirely different culture and demographic. We can only fairly compare ourselves like-for-like, i.e. other English league sides.

11 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Wolfie.

What with all the •s? You’re making no sense. Or maybe I’ve missed an n.

Anyway atmosphere was great where we was. The sun was shining and me and les enfants and my delightful wife had a glorious day jumping into the chilled waters of the Ardeche.

Oh hang on. •••• me. I wasn’t there. Must make me a ••••.

?

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

I think it’s the frustration of boring posts claiming there is no atmosphere. Sswolf points out, if only a couple of hundred bother trying then it’s gardly going to be electric.

For what it’s worth we have a great time in the south stand and sing quite regularly. Apologies if it’s not up to standard or entertains enough for others around the ground.

If we’re being honest, I like to sing and shout mainly for my own enjoyment. If I didint, I wouldn’t and I certainly would moan about a lack of atmosphere if it’s technically my fault for sitting in silence 

exactly, we are all different, personally I love to have a good sing song and chant along with the best of them, but I think it's a bit unfair moaning about lack of atmosphere the way the ground is set up ie no standing big open stands and yesterday with the second half being a little lacking in action don't help.

Did notice it was well below average yesterday. I was also surprised at the lack of noise from Forest other than their goal +10 mins. 

On another day that new chant from the chap on the megaphone would kick off and it goes round again - especially with the ability of the drummer.

It'll be fine over a season just didn't quite get going today, that can happen.

I'm still not having it that every single game 20/30/40 years ago was some kind of football atmosphere eutopia that some lead others to believe. Our atmosphere is alright in the main and looks set to improve again this time around. Keep up the good work chaps in that area.

25 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Wolfie.

What with all the •s? You’re making no sense. Or maybe I’ve missed an n.

Anyway atmosphere was great where we was. The sun was shining and me and les enfants and my delightful wife had a glorious day jumping into the chilled waters of the Ardeche.

Oh hang on. •••• me. I wasn’t there. Must make me a ••••.

?

Congratulations mate

You ‘Go again’ :thumbsup:

;)

@ChippenhamRed

Agreed big changes demographically, that much is clear. Europe for better or worse obviously has a different setup.

@SonOfDjuric Not sure I'd call those 'crap' teams. Average maybe, yoyo in some cases pephaps. Though of the 3 English sides you list, Palace is the only one to me that jumps off the page in terms of atmosphere.

@shelts

Personally I think yeah big changes post early 90's but the gentrification has really continued apace last decade or 2. Sure the heavy lifting done late 80's onwards but with each say 4-5 year period, maybe decade that passes the changes grow. Seems a lot more regulated now than even when I started going in 1998 tbh.

Time was a decade ago maybe less when chants at oppsition goalkeepers with long hair of 'where's your caravan' for example were commonplace- came from the Atyeo- not saying whether it's a good chant but it's an example of change isn't it?

Away games? Interesting you should say that tbh as the ones I've been to (admittedly I don't get away that often) or maybe I get tickets in the wrong bits for atmosphere haven't been great IMO.

13 hours ago, jrabrewer said:

Also is it me or do we get way more absolute numpties down the Gate than we used to? Sat in lower block E28 today and the guy in front of me cottoned on to the fact that I live in Birmingham now through over-hearing a conversation, and proceeded to shout to anyone that would listen on his row that me and the people that i was with are "####### Brummie ####s", even when we produced our City memberships he carried on and then started on us again on our way out the ground. 2 neutrals who wont be going back any time soon, and as for me, I have never felt so much disconnect with some of our own. Hardly makes for a positive and energetic atmosphere, and maybe I'm just getting old but I'm sure the Gate just didnt used to be like that

That’s very sad, I really hope you change your minds. Don’t take on this problem, it’s their problem not yours. Sometimes I feel ashamed of my fellow ‘fans’, I’m really sorry this has happened to you. 

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

That’s very sad, I really hope you change your minds. Don’t take on this problem, it’s their problem not yours. Sometimes I feel ashamed of my fellow ‘fans’, I’m really sorry this has happened to you. 

Thanks @RedM, I know we're generally a nice bunch and that this was an isolated incident, and it definitely wont put me off going. But the instances of abuse between our own fans is definitely on the rise from what I've seen (not helped by things such as songs that end in "you ####s" directed at sections of our own support) which I do find sad. We all want the same thing at the end of the day

3 minutes ago, jrabrewer said:

Thanks @RedM, I know we're generally a nice bunch and that this was an isolated incident, and it definitely wont put me off going. But the instances of abuse between our own fans is definitely on the rise from what I've seen (not helped by things such as songs that end in "you ####s" directed at sections of our own support) which I do find sad. We all want the same thing at the end of the day

Most of us want the same thing - a good afternoon supporting our team without personally abusing anyone. Unfortunately, a percentage of people the world over - including the individual you had the misfortune to sit behind yesterday - don't quite think like that.

Regarding atmosphere. I thought we started well, early goal got us really going then like the team we faded. Forest goal was a killer and then again like the team we didn’t recover ( not that I’m saying a pointvagainst Forest was a bad result). Forest were so quiet until they scored, couldn’t believe they made no sound at all.

But what do we sing, we have lost pretty much all the songs of last season, Flint, Fielding, Bobby Reid, Magnusson. Patterson was sung but he was pretty awful yesterday so that bombed. We need new songs ( for new hero’s).

Yesterday looked like two teams with more players to gel than made a good football match. Having said that it was a good game to get out the way. 

Something has definitely happened over the last 5 or so years, used to be at least 3 or 4 songs a game that would carry far more widely around the ground (at the VERY least a monotonous "COME ON YOU RE-EDS"). Go back 10 or more years and almost every song would be picked up by people around the ground.

Doesn't seem to happen since the ground re-design. I can't believe that the extra 5-8k on our attendances are all people who don't know the words, so that can't be it. I don't know why it's so sterile. In Dolman Block B more would join in when S82 were next door in the Atyeo but it's not as if we can't hear any of it now.

With that said, this thread surprised me, as I thought the atmosphere was decent at kick of as City were really going for it, I even said to a mate, if we score early the roof will come off. It was after that it went totally flat. A 1-0 lead, not playing much football, grim sense Forest would get back into it - lot of nerves about.

If there are more moments to get people on their feet I think more people start joining in with songs, we didn't create much more in the game to get people up and animated. I also thought Forest after kick off were pretty quiet bar their one song, so it wasn't even like there was any competition to drown them out.

Side note - I was really pleased to see City net off the front of the Atyeo to push fans to the back of the stand. Given we get chucked in the back of beyond in lots of away venues, I suggested this on here a few times to create a mental distance between away fans and team and not let them create intimidation pitch side.

I have said it on a similar thread last year, but i think a big help would be to move the entire singing section behind the goal in the South Stand. They need to be in a bigger area to encourage others to sing. It becomes infectious when people all around you are singing. We need the SS to be our Kop. When they are isolated in the corner (or a small section of the Atyeo as was) then it all becomes too fragmented.

Really hope this happens eventually would make a big difference.

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Atmosphere was great where I was. Didn't stop all game. I was at Celtic Park though.

Was up for the Rosenborg game a few weeks ago. How I'd love to see a standing area at Ashton Gate with a dedicated set of supporters in there every week. It's amazing how much an entire stadium can feed off the enthusiasm coming from one corner of the ground.

20 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Oh dear... 

The quietest I've ever heard AG on opening day of the season.

The game was cagey and not necessarily a type of game to get the crowd going, but was bitterly disappointed. 

We all know what an AG crowd can do. But we didn't really get that advantage today.

I thought the atmosphere was great at times yes there were some quiet points but still nowhere near the quietest it’s ever been. 

14 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

What a stupid post. Yes I get it, it is always nice to have a bit of atmosphere in games but isn’t ‘watching the game’ what you pay your money to. If people don’t want to sing, then that’s fine. It’s their money let them do what they want.

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

Something has definitely happened over the last 5 or so years, used to be at least 3 or 4 songs a game that would carry far more widely around the ground (at the VERY least a monotonous "COME ON YOU RE-EDS"). Go back 10 or more years and almost every song would be picked up by people around the ground.

Doesn't seem to happen since the ground re-design. I can't believe that the extra 5-8k on our attendances are all people who don't know the words, so that can't be it. I don't know why it's so sterile. In Dolman Block B more would join in when S82 were next door in the Atyeo but it's not as if we can't hear any of it now.

With that said, this thread surprised me, as I thought the atmosphere was decent at kick of as City were really going for it, I even said to a mate, if we score early the roof will come off. It was after that it went totally flat. A 1-0 lead, not playing much football, grim sense Forest would get back into it - lot of nerves about.

If there are more moments to get people on their feet I think more people start joining in with songs, we didn't create much more in the game to get people up and animated. I also thought Forest after kick off were pretty quiet bar their one song, so it wasn't even like there was any competition to drown them out.

Side note - I was really pleased to see City net off the front of the Atyeo to push fans to the back of the stand. Given we get chucked in the back of beyond in lots of away venues, I suggested this on here a few times to create a mental distance between away fans and team and not let them create intimidation pitch side.

Undoubtedly agree with a lot of this post. Though time was when the team was under the cosh the crowd might up the noise a bit and the 2 sort of fed off each other. Maybe ticket prices and the expansion of modern football mindset have changed it who knows?

Can pick out 2 (fairly obscure) examples.

1999-2000 Mansfield FA Cup. Shaun Taylor handball on the line. In the rain- penalty to Mansfield and he got sent off. Towards end of his career, said he was 'making himself big' or words to that effect. Sticks in the mind as it was my first full season but the crowd though a low attendance was excellent tbh.

2005-06 Chesterfield. Massive losing streak in GJ's first season. We were 1-4 down and fairly sure a decent number left early (as people would, from all stands). Those who remained made a great racket. Not sure why exactly but it was good to see!

Would these happen in 2018? Not too sure. Maybe we've come accustomed to bigger things, better things as fans. The higher priced tickets, the redevelopment and the increased expectations (as well as modern football with associated increase in regulations) all play a part I feel.

6 hours ago, SonOfDjuric said:

Palace is a good example, Watford too, Boro also have a dece atmosphere.

On the continent, teams like Dynamo Dresden, Sankt Pauli, even our amigos Willem II too

Watford!? Hahahahaha I live in Watford and am unfortunate to know plenty of Watford and to describe Watford  having a decent atmosphere discredits anything else you say on atmospheres.

Also, if you're gonna have a moan about people not creating an atmosphere - try spending the time singing than sat there counting people who are singing? Seems like  waste of time to me?

Archived