IGNORED

Atmosphere

SStandUp

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Indeed. They were loud from mid-Dolman.

But the acoustic advantage of being given a whole stand with a low roof helped them. And of course, they can't hear any singing from fans sat in our stands that are higher than the Atyeo roof.

Arrogant gits, as ever.

Yep, particularly their sarcastic applause when the 22,000 crowd was announced.

How many do they get at home?

About the same.

Don’t know what it is about Midlands clubs but Villa, Wolves and even Birmingham City (who averaged less than us last season) seem to all think we are ******* Yeovil or something.

Patronising *****.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

About the same.

Don’t know what it is about Midlands clubs but Villa, Wolves and even Birmingham City (who averaged less than us last season) seem to all think we are ******* Yeovil or something.

Patronising *****.

Forest's run out music should be Living In The Past....

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

About the same.

Patronising *****.

Found a unusually high percentage of Forest fans I’ve encountered (Not all) to be arrogant ********

Purely down to one (Invpcrdible Tbf)  shortish reign under Clough 

31 minutes ago, grifty said:

Watford!? Hahahahaha I live in Watford and am unfortunate to know plenty of Watford and to describe Watford  having a decent atmosphere discredits anything else you say on atmospheres.

Also, if you're gonna have a moan about people not creating an atmosphere - try spending the time signing than sat there counting people who are signing? Seems like  waste of time to me?

I also asked him to specify the “shit teams who have a great atmosphere” and he came up with two clubs in Premier League and one who was only recently relegated from it.

15 hours ago, grifty said:

Watford!? Hahahahaha I live in Watford and am unfortunate to know plenty of Watford and to describe Watford  having a decent atmosphere discredits anything else you say on atmospheres.

Also, if you're gonna have a moan about people not creating an atmosphere - try spending the time singing than sat there counting people who are singing? Seems like  waste of time to me?

Sorry shag, but am perfectly capable of counting whilst singing...

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I also asked him to specify the “shit teams who have a great atmosphere” and he came up with two clubs in Premier League and one who was only recently relegated from it.

Fine, Exeter, Oxford often have good atmospheres and are creating a set up not too dissimilar to Section 82. Pompey isn’t too shabby also

3 minutes ago, SonOfDjuric said:

Fine, Exeter, Oxford often have good atmospheres and are creating a set up not too dissimilar to Section 82. Pompey isn’t too shabby also

Portsmouth has always been good. In this league, Leeds and Millwall can be good. Stoke historically too, interesting to see whether they still are after a decade or so in the Prem.

I don't think we're that bad overall, sadly I think the logistics doesn't help. The singers are as far away from the away support as possible, and we seem to need a bit of interaction to get atmosphere going.

I think best archetypal situation would be having Atyeo as ours, redevelop it and make it a moden single tiered stand, make it relaxed on standing/safe standing. Put away fans in the lower corner of the Lansdown nearest the Atyeo. Think that would produce the best atmosphere provided we could fill the new Atyeo.

Won't happen now sadly. The current logistics will never do much for the atmosphere overall with so much distance from the away support.

The intense heat would definitely have had a detrimental affect on fans feeling boisterous, and wanting to sing.

It was bloody boiling in the lower dolman, so no doubt in the singing section too.

The game wasn't exciting for the most part, and Forest fans ( more under cover from the sun btw) were very quiet themselves until they scored when they were noisy for perhaps 10 minutes or so.

All in all I thought the atmosphere not too bad, all things considered. A more exciting game with more goalmouth action and a few tackles flying in would have helped, but basically we were baking.

On 04/08/2018 at 18:28, ForeverRes said:

Oh dear... 

The quietest I've ever heard AG on opening day of the season.

The game was cagey and not necessarily a type of game to get the crowd going, but was bitterly disappointed. 

We all know what an AG crowd can do. But we didn't really get that advantage today.

I do believe the whole England euphoria World Cup thing has detracted from the normal anticipation of the start of season. 

For weeks we basked in the sunshine drinking heavily watching lots of football as England progressed to the semis. In many instances it was just like a normal Saturday following City, if not better on occasions. 

On 05/08/2018 at 01:49, Ska Junkie said:

What a load of bollocks this thread is!

Yes. it was crap today but do people think it was orchestrated in yesteryear? No, fans just turned up, stood in certain areas where noise was expected and sang. If people choose to sit and watch, no problem, I'm probably one of them nowadays. 

The club have decided that the Dolman / South stand corner is now the 'noisy place', if you want to make a row, go for it, but don't criticise people that choose to sit elsewhere and don't! What happens in that corner should be more spur of the moment. That's modern football in a nutshell.

Sanctimonious prat (uber fan!). 

The big difference, IMHO, is that standing on the terrasses we become a  big single unit singing as one , sat down we are a bit more isolated and self conscious to start singing.

In the past there were more big factories where workmates would arrive as a group and sing as a group .

I believe that people drank more as well , that didn't matter if you came on foot or on a coach but drinking and driving ( unless you're a local journalist) is too dangerous so fans are more inhibited. 

The game has changed as well less ' blood and thunder ' which got the supporters fired up but  more technical . 

The villains these days are mostly diving cheats not nasty buggers who hit one of our own and raise the shackles. 

In short , our lives and the game have become more sanitised and robbed us of our raw emotions. We can no longer release our frustrations by shouting , singing and swearing at a football ground on a Saturday afternoon.

Sit down , shut up and don't scare off the money making sponsors is the message I get from the modern game .

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The big difference, IMHO, is that standing on the terrasses we become a  big single unit singing as one , sat down we are a bit more isolated and self conscious to start singing.

In the past there were more big factories where workmates would arrive as a group and sing as a group .

I believe that people drank more as well , that didn't matter if you came on foot or on a coach but drinking and driving ( unless you're a local journalist) is too dangerous so fans are more inhibited. 

The game has changed as well less ' blood and thunder ' which got the supporters fired up but  more technical . 

The villains these days are mostly diving cheats not nasty buggers who hit one of our own and raise the shackles. 

In short , our lives and the game have become more sanitised and robbed us of our raw emotions. We can no longer release our frustrations by shouting , singing and swearing at a football ground on a Saturday afternoon.

Sit down , shut up and don't scare off the money making sponsors is the message I get from the modern game .

Excellent post- agree with a lot of this.

It's not just even since the 70's or 80's though, to me it's continued apace despite all seaters in the late 90's and mid 2000's onwards. The increased sanitisation is a big factor, though Forest fans were quite noisy all told. (Away fans tend to be, plus they tend to stand as a rule- at minimum it is tolerated).

Re-development has played a part too I feel. More comfortable facilities don't help create a more raucous atmosphere. Definitely something seems to have been lost even in last 10-20 years let alone a longer period .Can't fully place it though- probably quite a few factors...Acceptable use of language another.

Example. Is chanting 'Where's your caravan' at a goalie with long hair a permitted chant in 2018 or would you get pulled up for racism?

41 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The intense heat would definitely have had a detrimental affect on fans feeling boisterous, and wanting to sing.

It was bloody boiling in the lower dolman, so no doubt in the singing section too.

The game wasn't exciting for the most part, and Forest fans ( more under cover from the sun btw) were very quiet themselves until they scored when they were noisy for perhaps 10 minutes or so.

All in all I thought the atmosphere not too bad, all things considered. A more exciting game with more goalmouth action and a few tackles flying in would have helped, but basically we were baking.

I actually felt myself wilting in the heat yesterday, and the cider didn’t help either,as soon as I got home I sat down and fell asleep,which pleased the missus no end.

10 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I actually felt myself wilting in the heat yesterday, and the cider didn’t help either,as soon as I got home I sat down and fell asleep,which pleased the missus no end.

' I actually felt myself wilting '

You should keep that sort of behaviour for your bedroom , you big perv !

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Spot on Major! 

11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not just the modern game major, modern life.

Only express a view and expect to be accepted if it’s agreeable to the majority. Or he who shouts loudest.

If you speak up or out you’re ******. Or ridiculed.

Won’t stop me and the boy though. If the ref’s a *** he’s a *** and it needs to be pointed out. ?

Archived