IGNORED

Ratings

old_eastender

My take, where 6 is a steady performance.

Maenpaa - 7 - Good distribution throughout, good handling, no chance with goal, one decent save near the end when called into action

Hunt - 6 - Some good play, some poor play.  

Bryan - 6 - Solid enough defensively, only one good forward run that I can recall.

Baker - 6 - Partly at fault for their goal, but generally solid

Webster - 7 - Looked good defensively and carried the ball out well.

Pack - 6 - Good opening 20 mins, then disappeared a bit but played well again after Smith came on. 

Brownhill - 6 - Lots of effort, had one good break which he wasted with a poor final ball.

COD - 5 - Tried hard but pretty ineffective.

Eliasson - 7 - Got the assist, really good corners, looked a threat - didn't get the ball passed to him enough.

Wiemann - 7 - Got the goal, worked his socks off too.

Pato - 3- Really disappointing performance and played in his favoured No.10 role too, just didn't show anywhere near enough. 

SUBS

Smith - 7 - Made a difference when he came on.

Taylor - 5 - A few nice touches, but not enough.

Eisa - not on long enough to rate.

7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Maenpaa - 6

Hunt - 6 

Bryan - 5

Baker - 6 

Webster - 7 

Pack - 6 

Brownhill - 6 

COD - 6

Eliasson - 6

Wiemann - 7 

Pato - 4

SUBS

Smith - 6 

Taylor - 6

Eisa - 6

6 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Too harsh on Pato and too soft on Baker - is he interested ?

Baker was very flat footed for the goal and his distribution overall was poor. Webster not much better second half - we can’t have so many aimless clearances if we are going to be competitive.

He was pretty poor. Baker played ok i thought.

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Maenpaa - 7 - Good distribution throughout, good handling, no chance with goal, one decent save near the end when called into action

Bryan - 6 - Solid enough defensively, only one good forward run that I can recall.

Pack - 6 - Good opening 20 mins, then disappeared a bit but played well again after Smith came on. 

Brownhill - 6 - Lots of effort, had one good break which he wasted with a poor final ball.

Eliasson - 7 - Got the assist, really good corners, looked a threat - didn't get the ball passed to him enough.

Pato - 3- Really disappointing performance and played in his favoured No.10 role too, just didn't show anywhere near enough. 

SUBS

Pretty much how I saw it.

Probably give Hunt and Pack 7s, and Maenpaa 8. I thought he was a real upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Pretty much how I saw it.

Probably give Hunt and Pack 7s, and Maenpaa 8. I thought he was a real upgrade.

Seems a desperation to do down FF. the keeper did ok, one save, but was hardly busy. Give it a few games before “real upgrade”.

13 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Maenpaa - 7 - Good distribution throughout, good handling, no chance with goal, one decent save near the end when called into action. Agree.

Hunt - 6 - Some good play, some poor play.  Thought he did well, just looks a bit ungainly.

Bryan - 6 - Solid enough defensively, only one good forward run that I can recall. That run and great shot with his right foot should have had a striker following it up, the keeper pushed it straight back into the danger area.

Baker - 6 - Partly at fault for their goal, but generally solid. 5 for me he is occasionally too casual.

Webster - 7 - Looked good defensively and carried the ball out well. Agree. He is a talent.

Pack - 6 - Good opening 20 mins, then disappeared a bit but played well again after Smith came on. 7 for me only the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half was a problem, I thought he was terrific.

Brownhill - 6 - Lots of effort, had one good break which he wasted with a poor final ball. 8 for me probably the best player the pitch IMO, wasted one ball that I remember, right near the end when I expect he was tired from a full shift. He is a talent.

COD - 5 - Tried hard but pretty ineffective. About right but defensively ok. Not sure he is fit.

Eliasson - 7 - Got the assist, really good corners, looked a threat - didn't get the ball passed to him enough. I agree did well defensively and ok offensively, some of the passes that he received especially in the 2nd half were bordering on hospital passes.

Wiemann - 7 - Got the goal, worked his socks off too. Agree.

Pato - 3- Really disappointing performance and played in his favoured No.10 role too, just didn't show anywhere near enough. Totally agree, I cannot believe that people are going to defend him, during a 5 minute period in the first half he almost cost us a goal with incredibly lax passes and then 10 minutes later bizarrely tried to trick his way with the ball on the edge of our box which nearly ended in disaster.

SUBS

Smith - 7 - Made a difference when he came on. Agree.

Taylor - 5 - A few nice touches, but not enough. 6 for me he achieved more in his cameo than the person he replaced, I think him and Wiemann could work. He is good at linking up play.

Maenpaa 7

Hunt 5

Bryan 5

Webster 6

Baker 6

Pack 6

Brownhill 6

O’Dowda 4

Eliasson 5

Patterson 5

Weimann 5 (would have been 4 if he hadn’t scored)

Sorry, I didn’t share the optimism about the performance.  The second half, in particular, was quite depressing and I didn’t get the positivity that seems to be the general take.  Perhaps I was just out of sorts myself - didn’t really feel up for it.  In which case I hope everyone else is calling it right!

4 hours ago, Chappers said:

Seems a desperation to do down FF. the keeper did ok, one save, but was hardly busy. Give it a few games before “real upgrade”.

Perhaps you can't remember Frank's last game.....   but I can.

So, yeah, the keeper made two decent saves - one both half - and managed, unlike Frank , to find red shirts and not the advertising hoardings with his kicks.

As I say. An upgrade.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

So, yeah, the keeper made two decent saves - one both half - and managed, unlike Frank , to find red shirts and not the advertising hoardings with his kicks.

As I say. An upgrade.

But most of his long kicks were down the middle. Fielding can do that as well. His problem was when instructed to aim for a wide player, standing on the touchline. Maenpaa didn't seem to have the same orders.

1 minute ago, Fatalist said:

But most of his long kicks were down the middle. Fielding can do that as well. His problem was when instructed to aim for a wide player, standing on the touchline. Maenpaa didn't seem to have the same orders.

Strangely I saw Maenpaa reach Joe and Eliasson with exactly those sort of kicks.

One swallow doth not a summer make I know, but his performance today was about 5000 times better than Frank's last match.

I was worried about the lack of competitive game time he has had, but no rustiness was apparent.

He might need to build a bit of a greater understanding with his defence  but to be fair to the man, he's only known them for a few days.

Carry on like today and it will be hard for FF to reclaim first choice . And that's good. You want genuine competition in every role.

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As I say. An upgrade.

We shall see. We’ve had a few “upgrades” in recent years who have turned out to be duds. I’ve never had a problem with FF, decent enough Championship keeper, had some outstanding games last year. And yes, one nightmare 

All our starting players looked better first half than second half.

Hunt & Elliason looked good down the right together.

Baker didn't have one of his best days, and his distribution was terrible.

Webster looked keen to come forward but still caught out defensively a couple of times. In time will probably be an improvement on Flint defensively.

Midfield was outplayed second half, so needed the introduction of Smith to shore things up.

COD had minimal opportunities, and possibly wasn't fully fit.

Paterson was poor today, and should have come off much earlier. For every good game he has, he seems to have 5 like today.

Weimann had a hard job playing the Bobby Reid role, especially as he had minimal service for long periods. However he kept running, and although I agree that I can't see him getting 20 goals this season, he could be great as a foil for Diedhiou.

In the second half we desperately needed a target man who could hold up the ball. I still worry that we don't have a Plan B, although LJ didn't give Eisa enough time to get into the game & show what he can do. He remains the great unknown quantity.

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Strangely I saw Maenpaa reach Joe and Eliasson with exactly those sort of kicks.

One swallow doth not a summer make I know, but his performance today was about 5000 times better than Frank's last match.

I was worried about the lack of competitive game time he has had, but no rustiness was apparent.

He might need to build a bit of a greater understanding with his defence  but to be fair to the man, he's only known them for a few days.

Carry on like today and it will be hard for FF to reclaim first choice . And that's good. You want genuine competition in every role.

I agree, he must have had the ball 30 times yday, every time he looked composed and picked his pass with the exception of a couple of ‘boot it long’ balls.

Ive not seen fielding have to play like that before so can’t rule him out but fielding does flap a bit when being chased down.

Don't think people are giving Marlon enough credit, generally agree with the OP but I think Pack is worth of an 8. Bar one bad spell he really looks quality- see him going to Prem soon, whether that be with us or another side. Passing, defensive ability and leadership, getting him to sign a new contract is one of our best bits of business this summer imo. Probably the key player in our team currently. 

Pato on the other hand, still poor continuing his form from last season, I really wonder where the player he was has gone. He better find his form again quickly or he will struggle to get game time this season. Such a shame because when he was on form he was unplayable. Definitely don't think a 3 or 4 is harsh, weak link unfortunately.

I need to see more of Maenpaa before making a judgement. His kicking looks to be better than Frankie’s but I don’t know yet if he is a better shot stopper. He made one good save in the second half but it was at a good height for a keeper and I would have been disappointed if he hadn’t kept it out. We don’t know anything yet about his ability to cope in one on one situations, where Frankie excels. 

16 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Maenpaa 7

Hunt 5

Bryan 5

Webster 6

Baker 6

Pack 6

Brownhill 6

O’Dowda 4

Eliasson 5

Patterson 5

Weimann 5 (would have been 4 if he hadn’t scored)

Sorry, I didn’t share the optimism about the performance.  The second half, in particular, was quite depressing and I didn’t get the positivity that seems to be the general take.  Perhaps I was just out of sorts myself - didn’t really feel up for it.  In which case I hope everyone else is calling it right!

Paterson 5 the same as Hunt, Bryan, Eliasson and Wiemann really? and ODowda a 4 one less than Paterson?

What game were you watching?

13 hours ago, Judda said:

Hunt looked solid. Better 1st half than 2nd but definitely a 7 or 8....

See I thought he looked a lot better second half! The first fifteen minutes he looked to me like an accident waiting to happen and looked panicked every time he got the ball but after that he really seemed to grow into the game so it was hopefully just first night nerves.

20 hours ago, old_eastender said:

SUBS

Pretty harsh ratings. I thought O’Dowda looked a threat. Paterson wasn’t brilliant but he was nowhere near that bad. Hunt I thought had a very good debut and dealt with Goncalves very well and I thought Brownhill and Pack were two of our best performers and bossed the midfield.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

That was Paterson’s worst performance in a city shirt. Dreadful. 

Sadly, there are too many from which to choose.

On the other hand think some (the ball watchers) are being over harsh on O'Dowda. He made several brilliant runs and looked to stretch their defence at pace. Problem being we were so ponderous we simply didn't look to get it to him, assuming of course our mids had spotted him. Can't blame the kid if he doesn't get service and, unlike Patterson, he kept trying.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

See I thought he looked a lot better second half! The first fifteen minutes he looked to me like an accident waiting to happen and looked panicked every time he got the ball but after that he really seemed to grow into the game so it was hopefully just first night nerves.

Funny how different people see different things!

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

On the other hand think some (the ball watchers) are being over harsh on O'Dowda. He made several brilliant runs and looked to stretch their defence at pace. Problem being we were so ponderous we simply didn't look to get it to him, assuming of course our mids had spotted him. Can't blame the kid if he doesn't get service and, unlike Patterson, he kept trying.

There was on in particular in the first half, span and made a great run into the acres of space in the wide left channel, Bryan totally ignored him, gave the ball away and then had a pop at Callum for making the run and not coming short. 

Agree that Patterson was woeful as well. 

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

When you also take into account he clearly isn’t 100% fit too, it was a top effort.

Going to be a very important player for us this season.

5 hours ago, Flint says No said:

Pretty harsh ratings. I thought O’Dowda looked a threat. Paterson wasn’t brilliant but he was nowhere near that bad. Hunt I thought had a very good debut and dealt with Goncalves very well and I thought Brownhill and Pack were two of our best performers and bossed the midfield.

Bossed the midfield?  You are having a laugh , midfield poor yet again! Has been for few seasons now!

I'd say overall.

Maenpaa - 7 - composed, good distribution, no chance with the goal, good save in the second half.

Hunt - 6 - good work rate, caught out once or twice defensively.

Webster - 7 - fantastic and composed in the first half, became slightly frazzled as Forest pushed with a few punts upfield.

Baker - 5 - Defensively solid on the deck with a few committed tackles, we know passing isnt his game. Caught flatfooted for the goal, but tactically we were slow closing down crosses, we invited that the whole game for some bizarre reason.

Bryan - 5 - one or two good challenges, but his decision making and passing (or not) were very hit and miss. Slow closing down at times (See Baker). One forward run and shot of note.

Eliasson - 6 - Tired as the game went on, still not helped by being played on the right. But what a delivery from crosses and corners the kid has. Fantastic at times. But went missing for periods as well.

Brownhill - 7 - Battled tirelessly and was leggy at the end. Some good play, but needs to show for the ball a but more from the defence, but that'll come from more experience playing in the middle.

Pack - 7 - bar a 15 minute stint, one of his better performances, calm assurred, consistant for the most part, kept recycling possession as needed.

O'Dowda - 5 - Inneffectual, good running off the ball at times, but too often looking to get in behind when Bryan needed an easier pass, but the latter's play overall in terms of decisions was questionable.

Weimann - 6 - Worked tirelessly, grabbed a goal with some help from Pantilimon's 6'7 frame. But inneffective for the most part, needs to anticipate second ball's more when forest were clearing their lines.

Paterson - 4 - I just don't know what to say. His confidence has deserted him and I struggle to recall the last game where I could give him even a 7. Made me question the new contract its entirety. 

Smith - 6 - made us moderately more solid. But too often backwards passing inviting pressure.

Taylor - 5 - completely ineffectual for the most part.

Eisa - 6 - showed some nice touches, but came on too late to be able to have much of an impact.

Some of the ratings on here are ridiculous and made by folk that don't understand the game IMO. No player out there deserved anything below a five or six. First game of the season, everyone a little nervy, baking hot weather and against a side that will be up there come the end of the season. Decent start fellas...…….

Archived