IGNORED

Leaving & Returning at half time

Simon79

It is my understanding that a steward can't just make a decision on it they have to refer it upwards to a supervisor who has the authority to make said decision.

That said in these circs undoubtedly out and in again. However as a standard rule of thumb...when you leave, you leave for the day/game.

The question here IMO is why did the steward not refer upwards for a decision to be made?

New? Inexperienced? Incompetent- perhaps badly trained? Perhaps a mix of all.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Wouldn't it be nice if our club just every now and then showed a bit of compassion? Imo and ive had quite a bit of experience with this but when it comes to fans with disabilities this club is absolutely clueless.

Your experiences UTC may answer the q or tell otherwise 

But to be fair ,    is this ‘The Club’ ,?

the firm employed to provide the stewarding (Or are the stewards employed directly)  ?

or simply an individual without an ounce of compassion , or common sense 

Id be more concerned about the Club If when the matter was raised , they didn’t understand or accept that instances like this are ridiculous and simply wrong

I cannot believe SL, JD, MA Or any other person involved in running the Club would think the experience of the OP was acceptable 

13 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Exactly. On the flip side of this, a positive story that relate to your post I highlighted. Me & Elliott sit up in the Lansdown stand W12 & our seats are very close to one of the entrances into the Lansdown suite entrances. Now Elliott does need to use the disabled facilities a few times during the match, the nearest disabled toilet is down towards the shop in the concourse  ( I think, happy to be corrected ). This in itself would take us at least 10 minutes or so. But the security guard on the Lansdown suite door has always let us use the disabled toilet which is yards away from where we sit. Even though we do not have a wrist band for entry. This is exactly the common sense approach you mention. It may not seem a lot, but it makes our whole match day experience so much easier. COYR 

Nice little story mate which demonstrates how little things can make such a difference 

As for all parents & carers I admire you as it must be hard for you to relax and enjoy the match yourself

Goid on ya , and my respect

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nice little story mate which demonstrates how little things can make such a difference 

As for all parents & carers I admire you as it must be hard for you to relax and enjoy the match yourself

Goid on ya , and my respect

It’s not easy mate, certainly not what it use to be like on the old East End before Elliott came along! But I wouldn’t swap it for the world. It’s something Elliott has really grown into & loves ( except yesterday! ). It’s pretty much the first thing he talks about in the morning, whether it be Joe Bryan, Matty Taylor or Bobby Reid ( still hasn’t accepted he has left! ). But it’s worth it to see him enjoy it like he does & to see how people are with him. Cheers fella. COYR 

I have popped out at half time a few times, the doors are usually just left open so that smokers can go in and out. Pretty sure that (if you were so inclined) you could just arrive at half time, and quite easily walk straight in, find an empty seat and watch the 2nd half. Never seen anyone having a problem going in.

18 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Hi Guys & Gals. Elliott was really bothered at the game today, to the point he wanted to leave after 15 minutes. I’m sure it was the noise element ( he has sensory issues) that upset him after scoring such an early goal & being the first game of the season. Something I thought we had overcome during last season, to the point we didn’t take his ear defenders with us today. So we spent the rest of the first half in the concourse. Anyway, my point is that during halftime we were thinking of going to Wickes & getting Elliott some. But the steward/security told us we would not be allowed back in if we leave the premises. I explained firmly the reasons for leaving etc, but he wasn’t having any of it. But couldn’t give me a reason, apart from “it’s the same for everyone” & “your ticket has been used”.  So has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone give me a reason for this? ( or am I being an overprotective dad?). It just stank of a lack of common sense. Genuinely interested in other people’s thoughts & perspectives on this. Thanks in advance. COYR 

I had exactly the same issues with my 4 and a half year old. The early goal and immense noise really upset him like never before. We had to spend the last half hour of the first half down in the concourse. We didn't attempt to leave to go outside but it did cross my mind. Glad to say we went back in for the 2nd half and stayed until 5 minutes from the end although Lonan covered his ears for most of the game. I have ordered some ear defenders.

We must have seen each other ?

That first 10 minutes was very, very loud.

7 minutes ago, dragonreds said:

i had the same problem yesterday. son realised he left his asthma inhaler in car. went to get it half time jobsworths would not budge

That is ridiculous. That situation had cropped up in my mind, but for some stupid reason I didn’t think someone could be so moronic! Hope your son was ok? COYR 

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I had exactly the same issues with my 4 and a half year old. The early goal and immense noise really upset him like never before. We had to spend the last half hour of the first half down in the concourse. We didn't attempt to leave to go outside but it did cross my mind. Glad to say we went back in for the 2nd half and stayed until 5 minutes from the end although Lonan covered his ears for most of the game. I have ordered some ear defenders.

We must have seen each other ?

That first 10 minutes was very, very loud.

I can recommend the screwfix ear defenders, really comfortable & good for kids. I would of been the tall bloke trying to watch a 6 year old & tv at the same time! The first 10 - 15 minutes were very loud. COYR 

40 minutes ago, dragonreds said:

i had the same problem yesterday. son realised he left his asthma inhaler in car. went to get it half time jobsworths would not budge

Jesus Wept

Wtf

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO - as always , not you’re fault , more than plenty on your plate and I find it uncomfortable with the way some comment , but think you should be at least aware of this thread 

I find both instances incredible 

Edit

Cancel that Matt - Apologies  I somehow missed your post earlier in thread

Glad I did really as  Your prompt recognition and reply on that post speaks volumes to your credit mate

6 hours ago, Simon79 said:

That is ridiculous. That situation had cropped up in my mind, but for some stupid reason I didn’t think someone could be so moronic! Hope your son was ok? COYR 

he is 23 and carries it everywhere. left it on backseat luckily did,nt need it but needs to carry it

Been watching this thread and I am amazed! I sit in w14 and in one of the last games of 17/18 my wife said to me she had left something valuable on the seat in plain sight - I walked through to the south stand and told a steward why I wanted to go out, no problem at all! He did tell me to return via the same door and get his attention as the other stewards would not let me in, thanks very much!  Common sense should always prevail and any steward that does not display a little normality should be told not to bother turning up!

In the stewards defence, I’m not surprised your not allowed to come back in after you’ve left. 

If you could come and go as a fan during the game or at HT. you could easily for example take multiple tickets out the ground to ticketless mates and gain them entry. 

Plus there is certainly a security risk with people coming and going if they were allowed to. I’m surprised for the OP’s situation an exception wasn’t made. But think the stewards/security were just doing their jobs im afraid. 

1 hour ago, Cider-Head23 said:

In the stewards defence, I’m not surprised your not allowed to come back in after you’ve left. 

If you could come and go as a fan during the game or at HT. you could easily for example take multiple tickets out the ground to ticketless mates and gain them entry. 

Plus there is certainly a security risk with people coming and going if they were allowed to. I’m surprised for the OP’s situation an exception wasn’t made. But think the stewards/security were just doing their jobs im afraid. 

Would the same ticket(s) operate the barriers more than once on match day?

1 hour ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Ultimately yes- in most cases I would agree.

However these things should be assessed tbh, on a case by case basis. Also as I've said before I think it has to be referred upwards to a supervisor who can make the decision.

34 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Would the same ticket(s) operate the barriers more than once on match day?

No, once a ticket has been used to gain entry , it will go red a second time , whichever turnstile is used , so the answer is no. However, there is a common sense policy to let people leave and come back under extreme circumstances. 

15 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No, once a ticket has been used to gain entry , it will go red a second time , whichever turnstile is used , so the answer is no. However, there is a common sense policy to let people leave and come back under extreme circumstances. 

So reusing tickets fraudulently can't be used as a reason for not allowing someone out.

18 hours ago, dragonreds said:

The club need to be informed asap - asthma is the biggest killer of adults under 30 (except suicide) - the ambulance officers generally arrive too late to use a ventolin nebulizer and anti-inflamatory agents IV.

Asthmatics have ventolin, because it works immediately.

Your son could have died (thank goodness he is OK) and the club would have been hit with a huge lawsuit (potentially) due to the actions of the steward.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO   would be horrified to hear this!

1 hour ago, famouslastword said:

one of the Last games of the season i took my daughter out to her mum who picked her up as she was getting too hot and she wanted to cool down. Explained to the steward on the exit doors and he was perfectly fine. Sounds like someone was taking their jobs too seriously to me! 

Ah , half time is different. The stadium is under what they call Lock Down, which means all outer gates are shut to stop people entering while the glass doors are open. Can understand their thinking there, but while the game is going on they will let you out and back in again through the same door. 

Archived