IGNORED

How long does LJ have?

Wolf Island

3 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

D,W, L, L, L, L, L , D, L, W, L, D, D, D, L, W, L, D, W, D, L, L, W, L, D, D, L ,D, D ,L, ☹️

Those 5 wins coming against:

Reading (20th)

QPR (16th)

S. Weds (15th)

Ipswich (12th)

Birmingham (19th).

Our last win against a strong/top half of the table side was in the quarter final of the league cup. 

Real dichotomy for me. This is my club, my team, ergo I want him to do well, to bring success.

On the other hand I never rated him as a player, only here and playing because of his dad, and I rate him even less as a manager/head coach. Still pretty much out of his depth in my view, despite the good run in the first half of last season.

But Lansdown has a poor record of appointing managers, (Cotterill's appointment was down to Keith Dawe I believe), so I don't have much confidence in whoever Lansdown would appoint next. For sure it won't be any one of a strong character, likely to be "difficult" or want too much control.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

johnsons sacking was spoke about at board level and only just stayed on as manager, it was spoken about in the media by lansdown himself, Lansdown has also proven in the past that while patient he's not afraid to get rid of a manager,

He's gone on record to state he expects top 10 this season and wants to see us up sooner rather then later, he's also provided the infrastructure and budget (more then any past city manager has had),

If we are struggling by November he will be gone,

We've seen Lansdown sack Wilson Johnson Sr for not living up to SL's expectations and LJ will be no different 

I didnt see the comments about LJ being 90 minutes from the sack in the media Monkeh but if you say so then fair enough. As for November I personally see no evidence to support your assertion. GJ is the obvious parallel but his sacking happened after the Plymouth match where he lost the dressing room big time and I cant see that happening with what is now his squad.

Just a forum mate different views.

8 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I didnt see the comments about LJ being 90 minutes from the sack in the media Monkeh but if you say so then fair enough. As for November I personally see no evidence to support your assertion. GJ is the obvious parallel but his sacking happened after the Plymouth match where he lost the dressing room big time and I cant see that happening with what is now his squad.

Just a forum mate different views.

He never said 90 minutes from the sack.

44 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think there are three factors that are not really being considered on this thread.

1) Since 2000, every single Bristol City manager bar Steve Coppell has ultimately been sacked.

2) In all of those cases (as far as I can recall), the club said nothing publicly to hint they were thinking of making a change until the moment they acted.

3) The communication within the club is very likely to be different to the external communication.

Up until now, the board have supported LJ but I would not assume that support is infinite or unconditional. SL has been clear he wants a top ten finish. I think it very likely that, if LJ is not on course for that by the Autumn, he will no longer be at the club.

As I’ve said before your thoughts are always constructed and thought out , so interested  (and a bit surprised) you think that 

(I don’t know just interested that someone pretty ‘level headed’ thinks so )

Don't think for one second LJ will get the sack anytime soon (this season) and when eventually, it does happen who`s to say he will be replaced with anyone different, as the hirer will only take on someone he likes i.e says yes to everything and does as the plan says; no-one with bite back will be considered.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

He never said 90 minutes from the sack.

I didn't think so as my recollection was SL talked tough once we were safe, but Monkeh said he did and I can't be arsed to argue that point which is ancient history. What is current though is the assertion that he will be toast if we are in the shite November for which I see absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

Genuine question here as I can’t remember all the details about the end of all our previous managers’ tenures:

Is LJ actually getting some sort of special treatment from SL as my recollections of previous managers is that they were given a lot of time and backing and often seemed to stay longer than at other clubs/chairmen.

To me SL doesn’t sack managers at the drop of the hat and generally backs them (although as I said I can’t remember details of all the departments), so for me LJ has had/will have as long as any other manager has had or would have under SL.

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Not so much the players, but the club as a whole.

But you can see, the set up of the club reflects the performances of the players on the pitch.

It’s jut all too nice.

The only thing that concerns me though is is it LJ? Who is to say we bring in another Manager and we still sign the same type of players and play the same way. Is it LJ making these transfers happen or is it Mark Ashton making these decisions and LJ has to just go along with it? The structure of the club concerns me, it's got far too technical and has far too many 'suits' involved and not enough proper Football men who know how to get efficient results.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

...Lansdown has also proven in the past that while patient he's not afraid to get rid of a manager....

You’re right, he’s not afraid to get rid of a manager, but he sure is scared of appointing a proven, experienced one at our level...the Coppell episode seems to have put him right off...although there are many and varied opinions about what actually went on at that time...

2 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Genuine question here as I can’t remember all the details about the end of all our previous managers’ tenures:

Is LJ actually getting some sort of special treatment from SL as my recollections of previous managers is that they were given a lot of time and backing and often seemed to stay longer than at other clubs/chairmen.

To me SL doesn’t sack managers at the drop of the hat and generally backs them (although as I said I can’t remember details of all the departments), so for me LJ has had/will have as long as any other manager has had or would have under SL.

imo he is. in 2018 LJ has 15%ish win rate I believe? Might be even lower. Whilst managers like SOD or McInnes were sacked with 26% win rate. 

That being said I don't think SL will consider sacking him or anything until atleast January if there's a continued poor form. 

To be fair to LJ he's arguably had his three best players form last season sold. I'd imagine we haven't even spent half of that money either. Wasn't backed in the January window, I doubt he didn't want to spend more than he did.

I really don't think he's half as bad as some of our fans make out. We certainly haven't had too many better managers in my time following city. If we finish top half again then I think he would have done an excellent job.

11 minutes ago, Sturny said:

imo he is. in 2018 LJ has 15%ish win rate I believe? Might be even lower. Whilst managers like SOD or McInnes were sacked with 26% win rate. 

That being said I don't think SL will consider sacking him or anything until atleast January if there's a continued poor form. 

I suppose maybe SL (and myself) considers LJ has more credit in the bank than those 2 did. (Semi final of league cup, beating Utd, National recognition as playing the right way etc etc). That credit is getting used up rapidly mind!

21 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Form isn't generally measured in calendar years though. They chose to stick with LJ last season because of his form in the first part of the season + league cup. Measuring form over calendar years means you basically disregard circumstances such as the transfers we've had this summer. 

He will be judged in the 2018/19 season now, and I think if we're winless 10 games in he will be gone. I don't think it'll come to that though.

Due to the fact he is perceived to be too close to SL, he will be here until January.

I hope results improve for him but based on what’s left the club and what has come in, it does not look good. We need a fit Fammy scoring lots of goals when he comes back into the side. Looking weak up front currently, but hell, it is early days. 

Flint still needs replacing also - albeit who do you get? Irreplaceable. He was a leader on the pitch and he will be gunning for the Boro on Saturday. Trying to stay positive currently as still early season, so no panic yet (:laugh:).

12 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

NO but why has he/she changed from Sir Davos  to West country robins??And why was Tom so pissed off?

I wanted more brand alignment with Bristol Sport direction of travel. Anticipating we will rename the club in next couple of years and I want to be in the vanguard.

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Form isn't generally measured in calendar years though. They chose to stick with LJ last season because of his form in the first part of the season + league cup. Measuring form over calendar years means you basically disregard circumstances such as the transfers we've had this summer. 

He will be judged in the 2018/19 season now, and I think if we're winless 10 games in he will be gone. I don't think it'll come to that though.

No chance he'll be sacked after 10 games.  

How can this thread be going after only 2 league matches, both drawn? What on earth is going to happens when City lose? Calls from some people for LJ to be sacked and SL to sell the club? Luckily there are a few sane people on the forum who will give LJ a bit more time

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

How can this thread be going after only 2 league matches, both drawn? What on earth is going to happens when City lose? Calls from some people for LJ to be sacked and SL to sell the club? Luckily there are a few sane people on the forum who will give LJ a bit more time

People are concerned about our form since Christmas. Our run isn't particularly encouraging at the moment so I think it's fair to have a benchmark of when the concern escalates to something more. After 10 games, I'd hope we're on between 14 - 17 points. I think that would be a decent start!

Archived