IGNORED

Why is everyone so negative?

Eddie Notgetinya

Didn’t see the game so not really able to comment other than I said on the match thread pre ko we looked far too lightweight in the front four and it was worrying. The concern stems from knowing the opposition manager plays it tight and therefore would pack midfield particularly central midfield. Thus Pack and Brownhill would be outnumbered and likely forced back fighting a rearguard action rather than linking to the front four in more advanced positions. It appears reading the above that is exactly what happened.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

All went to pot when the Derrick Williams deal fell through IMO. 

In all seriousness, the reaction to yesterday about sums up this forum to be honest. 

Opening day affairs are often cagey. We’re without our best striker yet still held a team who have, man for man, considerably more talented players, and who should be in the mix come the end of the season. We also created opportunities for more, we hardly fluked a point. We had as many attempts on goal as they did. 

On to the next. 

Absolutely agree B86.

I wasn't at the game so followed OTIB during the game and read after to get a feel for how things went. To be honest I can't work out whether we played well against a well fancied side that has shelled out big money for top players, or that we just the same as the second half of last season - it depends on whose point of view I rely on.

On our new players it's much the same. Some posters see Webster as nothing special, probably on the bench when Wright is back while others see him as an improvement on Flint, a proper player who is comfortable wlth the ball at his feet. It's similar with Weimann, where some posters comment that he runs around a lot but doesn't do much else, that he's not a striker and didn't create much, while others say with his energy they can see him playing in a Reid role and others pretty impressed with his debut.

Is it the case that posters see what they want to see, depending on their attitude and view of the coach, owner and the club at the moment? If a poster is onside with the club's strategy and plan going forward , are they more inclined to look for positives to reinforce and justify that view, while ignoring the things that didn;t go well, while those that are, and probably have been for some time, negative towards LJ and/or SLs plan and strategy for the club, tend to look for the negative so as to reinforce and justify their opinion and outlook while ignoring the positives ?

If different posters can see the same game, yet have polar opposite views on how it went and how individual players perform, then perhaps we just have to accept that there will never be agreement as it will only be at the end of the season that a verdict can be reached. Even then, as at the end of lasts season, one side will argue that progress has been made while the other will post to failure and continued disappointment.

The most important thing was not to lose the opening game and against a top 3-4 bookie fancied Forest side it's pleasing that we did not - it looked increasingly likely second half that we might.

However I'm a bit bemused that any kind of reflection on City's performance - whether opening day or not - has prompted the usual OTIB-bashing that says this is a place of wild overreaction.

Yes there are some extremes ("how long does LJ get"!) but on the whole disecting what we have learned about preparations, style and new players is always relevant, we've been preparing for this for a month.

Teams that are successful over a season are not ones who have a mentality that "it's only the opening day" or "we'll only know if this is working in a month or two" by which time the season has passed them by.

Points on the first day are worth the same as points on the last day. We got a very good point, but I'm sure LJ won't wait for a month to decide if aspects of yesterday are viable or to make any adjustments. 

As others have said, it was not the point that was any issue (that was well earned particularly defensively), it was what we learned about our football. On which basis there was plenty, even if it was first day. 

No agenda from me or overreaction - I just think there were lots of flaws in our setup with the ball. Heat or not we were made to look anonymous far too quickly. Forest won't have a monopoly on "finding us out".

I always expected a work in progress but I did bank on LJ having a bit more up his sleeve after pre-season. We're a threat from Eliasson crosses/corners but there was nowhere near enough attacking plan otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

The most important thing was not to lose the opening game and against a top 3-4 bookie fancied Forest side it's pleasing that we did not - it looked increasingly likely second half that we might.

However I'm a bit bemused that any kind of reflection on City's performance - whether opening day or not - has prompted the usual OTIB-bashing that says this is a place of wild overreaction.

Yes there are some extremes ("how long does LJ get"!) but on the whole disecting what we have learned about preparations, style and new players is always relevant, we've been preparing for this for a month.

Teams that are successful over a season are not ones who have a mentality that "it's only the opening day" or "we'll only know if this is working in a month or two" by which time the season has passed them by.

Points on the first day are worth the same as points on the last day. We got a very good point, but I'm sure LJ won't wait for a month to decide if aspects of yesterday are viable or to make any adjustments. 

As others have said, it was not the point that was any issue (that was well earned particularly defensively), it was what we learned about our football. On which basis there was plenty, even if it was first day. 

No agenda from me or overreaction - I just think there were lots of flaws in our setup with the ball. Heat or not we were made to look anonymous far too quickly. Forest won't have a monopoly on "finding us out".

I always expected a work in progress but I did bank on LJ having a bit more up his sleeve after pre-season. We're a threat from Eliasson crosses/corners but there was nowhere near enough attacking plan otherwise.

Agree.  Eliasson was the only point of creativity yesterday.    It was a good point but the portents are not good.  On the positive side, we will probably be a better side when Watkins, Adelukaan and Djiejou are available.  COD was clearly not match fit yesterday.  

7 hours ago, Olé said:

Funnily enough I was surprised how negative I was at the end of the game - I thought we'd get beaten and if you'd told me we'd only concede 1 goal and get a draw I'd have snapped your arm off, but what disappointed me was the football was poor and once Forest settled, whatever we had practiced all pre season just looked woefully short of being effective at this level. I almost want to use the word naive but I think that would ignore how good Forest are...................

.................. There was little impact from our possession and so few ideas too.   

Great interesting read, good and deep analysis  as normal Ole

Always find myself nodding in agreement reading through your posts and although you don’t pull any punches in this post , you highlight a large number of significant and astute points that inflame my concerns from yesterday 

Some positives in the debutants etc (And I thought Elliasson deserved more praise on here but suffered in the dwindling second half team performance)  but think your post does highlight some reality

Great read mate

The moaning City fans is nothing new . First game and the team served up much the same as last year but with some different players .  By the end of September we will by flying !!

Across the country fans are slagging of their team already ...that’s football all about opinions 

Thought it was a fair result yesterday if a tad disappointed that we once again faded in a game. I felt that issue, more than anything,would be addressed by the signings we’ve made recently and hopefully it will be when we get into our stride.

Eliasson’s crossing and corners were a joy as was having a keeper that kept the ball on the pitch with his distribution. 

Much too early to assess new players but I am struggling to see where Patterson can be best utilised. Better wide players now and central his decision making is suspect and too often gives away possession. As soon as Taylor came on we became more fluid as he plays within his abilities and brings others into the game whereas too often moves come to an end with Patterson.

One other issue remains is that playing 2 wingers can leave us lightweight and predictable in midfield and we certainly looked stronger when we added Korey. I would like to see O’Dowda tried more centrally so maybe a 4-3-3.

Almost fell asleep 2nd half. Don't seem to remember one clear cut chance. I dont feel that the playing out from the back will suit us away from home.

Webster caught a few times with the ball with no options or giving it away needlessly.

Lacking a presence up top in terms of creating panic, space or danger. Also lacking a leader at the back. Didnt feel safe when out of possession at all. 

Midfield was clever and creative in the first half and thought Eliasson was a real spark for us.

Some positives for me overall. Thought forest were poor and we didnt capitalise unfortunately.

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

So shooting from anywhere is a chance?

Why not, shooting from halfway line or on the goal line are all chances, until they are missed or saved or scored from; the poster did not say shots on target either; if he had I would of agreed;

3 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Almost fell asleep 2nd half. Don't seem to remember one clear cut chance. I dont feel that the playing out from the back will suit us away from home.

Webster caught a few times with the ball with no options or giving it away needlessly.

Lacking a presence up top in terms of creating panic, space or danger. Also lacking a leader at the back. Didnt feel safe when out of possession at all. 

Midfield was clever and creative in the first half and thought Eliasson was a real spark for us.

Some positives for me overall. Thought forest were poor and we didnt capitalise unfortunately.

Confused now our manager and many fans thought Forest were a good team, fav for promo some say, in fact we did well just to stay with them alledgedly

10 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Why not, shooting from halfway line or on the goal line are all chances, until they are missed or saved or scored from; the poster did not say shots on target either; if he had I would of agreed;

Could look at it differently.

Don't want to go all LJ and his POMO (Positions of maximum opportunity) :laughcont:

However, maybe it was a case of them shooting on sight a bit  as how we funnelled them into less ideal shooting positions. That said a couple of our shots on target were like catching practice IMO.

Well I thought we did well considering the fact we did not have a target man up front, if Fam had been playing he would have been pretty lonely though! 

The player stepping up to replace Bobby was really consistent - carried right on from last season occasionally bursting into action but in the main avoiding getting involved - and before you start throwing daggers at me, he was voted the least impressive player on the pitch by the fans according to the Post, but as he is an LJ favourite he will be there every game unless he gets injured - please please please can we sign a 20 with ambition!

24 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Well I thought we did well considering the fact we did not have a target man up front, if Fam had been playing he would have been pretty lonely though! 

The player stepping up to replace Bobby was really consistent - carried right on from last season occasionally bursting into action but in the main avoiding getting involved - and before you start throwing daggers at me, he was voted the least impressive player on the pitch by the fans according to the Post, but as he is an LJ favourite he will be there every game unless he gets injured - please please please can we sign a 20 with ambition!

I think when FD is available again Weimann will probably play in the No10 role, Patterson has been ineffective for some time and we payed money for Weimann. 

The title of this post sums up society currently. Unless one is blindly optimistic then the person is labelled as negative. There’s so many shades between optimism and pessimism but society has made it very binary. We need both for balance.

After a first half to the season last year and even with bad form City managed to hold on to a playoff spot for the majority of the season.

The club knew that some of the big names would go or be out of contract, so planning replacements in good time was crucial.

I thought this season City were planning to push on again, and this season achieve the playoffs.

It seems to me the club and lots of fans on here are happy with a boring mid table season, I don't understand why? Especially with regards to transfers, maybe that is breading the negativity.

15 minutes ago, core321 said:

After a first half to the season last year and even with bad form City managed to hold on to a playoff spot for the majority of the season.

The club knew that some of the big names would go or be out of contract, so planning replacements in good time was crucial.

I thought this season City were planning to push on again, and this season achieve the playoffs.

It seems to me the club and lots of fans on here are happy with a boring mid table season, I don't understand why? Especially with regards to transfers, maybe that is breading the negativity.

So what would your plan have been, spend tens of millions on new players we can't afford in the hope of chasing the dream but risking the financial standing of the club?

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

So what would your plan have been, spend tens of millions on new players we can't afford in the hope of chasing the dream but risking the financial standing of the club?

Goodness me, what's with all the aggression all the time?

After last season I have every right to hope the club is planning for a playoff spot. Calm down, its just a point of view on a forum....might want to change your pants.

...and at the end of day at some point City will need to spend and gamble for a premier league spot.

4 minutes ago, core321 said:

Goodness me, what's with all the aggression all the time?

After last season I have every right to hope the club is planning for a playoff spot. Calm down, its just a point of view on a forum....might want to change your pants.

...and at the end of day at some point City will need to spend and gamble for a premier league spot.

Your forum bans us every time we spout the bollocks you do enjoy the freedom on otib.

1 minute ago, reddoh said:

Your forum bans us every time we spout the bollocks you do enjoy the freedom on otib.

Exactly what you have done a reply of complete bollocks.

You don't like something or don't agree so its aggression and trying to shut people down is what the likes of you do here.

Boring person. Your 'post count' doesn't count for anything mate, cheer up.

1 minute ago, core321 said:

Exactly what you have done a reply of complete bollocks.

You don't like something or don't agree so its aggression and trying to shut people down is what the likes of you do here.

Boring person. Your 'post count' doesn't count for anything mate, cheer up.

ok

Archived