IGNORED

Webster

bristol red

I think Webster be backup choice at centre back when Wright is fit.  We are severely lacking creativity in central midfield and perhaps if that’s all transfer business now done that we should have invested Flints £5m plus in a creative midfielder rather than a backup central defender? 

5 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Would be interested to know how much was paid for Webster? 5 million plus being quoted. If signed as Flints replacement and I think Wright and Baker will be the first names on the sheet when fit perhaps we should have looked at a creative midfielder?

I think you will find that Webster will be the first defensive name on the team sheet, no way city would pay that amount for a "reserve" player. Thought he looked decent first half today, has a good touch and looked composed on the ball, Fingers crossed for the lad ?

He looked way more composed coming forward than Baker, Wright or Flint ever have. And on today's performance Baker is the one whose place might be in doubt.

I have to agree about a lack of creativity in midfield. Brownhill runs a lot, Smith tackles a lot & Pack passes a lot, but none of them are particularly creative. And Paterson can be creative but overplays and losses the ball too easily too often. Marley Watkins might prove useful, or if Joe Bryan really is staying play him in his best role in left midfield and play Kelly behind him. But if Bryan goes, we also need another left back.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

Needs to stop going long to nobody in particular, think he will come good in the end.

to be fair, if he's going to be able to bring the ball out from the back he needs to be given options to pass to.  on more than one occasion he was given zero help by our players who didn't show for a pass and had no other option but to boot it long to ensure he didn't lose possession.  for me he's going to be he'll of a player.

I do feel sorry for him that everyone understandably compares him to Flint

(And I’m going to add to that :laughcont:)

My views on Flint are crystal clear so have to say I watched Webster closely and Tbf to him he isn’t a bad replacement 

Pros and Cons in comparison (Not as quick as a Flint ,  But Tho Flint was underated in the ball Webster is very comfortable 

Flint IMHO is more of a goal threat and IMHO , on initial scrutiny the better defender at the moment but I like the look of Webster and he can in theory , and shows signs , that he only get better ( Very early days but if he does develop he could end up a very expensive centre half for somebody) 

Accepting that Flint has gone first impressions are that they havnt Done a bad job in replacing him IMHO and looks already to be our best centre half

I’d like to see us look for another good and quick partner for him as I’m not convinced by Wright or Baker 

10 hours ago, bristol red said:

Would be interested to know how much was paid for Webster? 5 million plus being quoted. If signed as Flints replacement and I think Wright and Baker will be the first names on the sheet when fit perhaps we should have looked at a creative midfielder?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that at 1.05am you were probably drunk when posting this......if not I'm confused.

Obviously not as strong under the high ball as Flint. However, no one in the team had any problems passing to him when he was under pressure, sometimes with very hard passes, which says a lot about him. It’s clear our other players rate him, which gives me confidence. 

7 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Obviously not as strong under the high ball as Flint. However, no one in the team had any problems passing to him when he was under pressure 

Exactly this.

I hope we don't spend the season comparing him to Flint as they are players who offer/offered something very different to the team, and we have to accept that we have traded one strength for another. 

I also noted that we didn't look as decisive attacking first high balls in the way Flint was so good at, but that was more than offset by the quality at which Webster is able to combine with teammates to pass our way out of tight spots and trouble once the ball was down.

Flint was great eliminating danger before it had really started but it would be about heading or hoofing the ball away from danger rather than turning over possession and establishing control ourselves. Webster is part of a strategy for the latter. 

2 hours ago, EmersonsKev said:

to be fair, if he's going to be able to bring the ball out from the back he needs to be given options to pass to.  on more than one occasion he was given zero help by our players who didn't show for a pass and had no other option but to boot it long to ensure he didn't lose possession.  for me he's going to be he'll of a player.

So true!! I was sat there so frustrated by his lack of options. We literally had no outball. No Fammy, Djuric or no winger creating width demanding a ball to latch onto. 

Best form of defence is attack . At times last year we played some of the best football I’ve seen at the gate . We seem ok with defenders and Webster looked ok but it will take time and no doubt he’s no Flint but I’m sure he has a bit about him . Be patient 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I do feel sorry for him that everyone understandably compares him to Flint

(And I’m going to add to that :laughcont:)

My views on Flint are crystal clear so have to say I watched Webster closely and Tbf to him he isn’t a bad replacement 

Pros and Cons in comparison (Not as quick as a Flint ,  But Tho Flint was underated in the ball Webster is very comfortable 

Flint IMHO is more of a goal threat and IMHO , on initial scrutiny the better defender at the moment but I like the look of Webster and he can in theory , and shows signs , that he only get better ( Very early days but if he does develop he could end up a very expensive centre half for somebody) 

Accepting that Flint has gone first impressions are that they havnt Done a bad job in replacing him IMHO and looks already to be our best centre half

I’d like to see us look for another good and quick partner for him as I’m not convinced by Wright or Baker 

Knowing how you feel about Flint I`m glad you think this mate. FWIW I agree with pretty much all you`ve said here.

18 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not as quick as a Flint

Not sure how you came up with this, for one Flint was not very quick compared to the majority of forwards in the division - he relied upon timing more than speed.

Also how have you judged Webster's speed based on yesterday - he certainly didn't look slower than anyone else - albeit not lightning quick either?

3 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Also like other posters saw he looked quality and is a proper ‘player’ in that he can bring it out from defence and is really comfortable on the ball. More so than what we have had before. No issues for me.  Understand why he was rated in East Anglia 

I would argue that Ayling was one in recent times who was comfortable bringing the ball out of defence.

47 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Not sure how you came up with this, for one Flint was not very quick compared to the majority of forwards in the division - he relied upon timing more than speed.

Also how have you judged Webster's speed based on yesterday - he certainly didn't look slower than anyone else - albeit not lightning quick either?

It was me not @Red Right Hand that said that 

??????

If you’d looked closely at both I think you’d see it (Webster isn’t ‘slow’ )

Where  would you have ranked Flint in terms of pace / spring out of all City’s first team squad last season out of interest ?

5th ?

10th ?

Probably lower ?

Give him time. It’s a 46 game season not everyone is going to be perfect in the first game. Did you see how poor Carvalho was today? Cost £15m. Did you see Flints error for Boro today? Did you see how poor Diédhiou was in the first month? Ended the season with double figures. Just give him a chance before you start jumping on his back.

I was surprised how shaky he was under the high ball. The Forest striker seemed to give him lots of trouble in the air. We need our CBs to dominate in that area. Having said that. I wouldn't rush to judge any of our new signings until they've had at least 5 games under their belts.

10 minutes ago, Devereux said:

I was surprised how shaky he was under the high ball. The Forest striker seemed to give him lots of trouble in the air. We need our CBs to dominate in that area. Having said that. I wouldn't rush to judge any of our new signings until they've had at least 5 games under their belts.

I would think Murphy is one of the biggest handfulls in theair in the Championship. We can't dominate everyone, but did pretty well, I thought.

Archived