IGNORED

Tricky Trees , where did that come from ?

Major Isewater

One that annoys me far more that it should is when West Ham were leaving for a new stadium,it was, "The Boleyn" this, and "The Boleyn"  that, non-stop.For donkeys years I never heard it called that a single time.It was always Upton Park.Dont know why it grates on me so much though.Probably just the "Cockney Thing".

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

One that annoys me far more that it should is when West Ham were leaving for a new stadium,it was, "The Boleyn" this, and "The Boleyn"  that, non-stop.For donkeys years I never heard it called that a single time.It was always Upton Park.Dont know why it grates on me so much though.Probably just the "Cockney Thing".

My dad was from Plaistow, so I've got reletives who are lifelong West Ham fans, locally it has always been referred to as the Boleyn ground. Even the pub next door was the Boleyn Tavern. You're having a bubble ?

I genuinely never heard it referred to as anything other that Upton Park whenever West Ham were mentioned on Match Of The Day,The Big Match,Grandstand, World Of Sport etc.Maybe more of a media thing then if supporters generally called it the Boleyn. 

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Old school Hammers always called it The Boleyn back in the day as that was the name of the stadium from 1904 when it became their home - Upton Park came from the name of the local tube station and the surrounding area in which the stadium was situated...it was the same with Arsenal, their former ground was always called The Arsenal Stadium but Highbury was the area in which it was located....

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Old school Hammers always called it The Boleyn back in the day as that was the name of the stadium from 1904 when it became their home - Upton Park came from the name of the local tube station and the surrounding area in which the stadium was situated...it was the same with Arsenal, their former ground was always called The Arsenal Stadium but Highbury was the area in which it was located....

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.I can only ever remember Arsenals ground being called Highbury.Again,maybe that was always what it was called when the club was featured on television?

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn't Herbert Chapman get the tube station re-named? 

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

When we played Man City our programme frequently referred to them as “The Citizens”. I hadn’t heard that one before.

Are they well known by this nickname, and it’s just something that’s passed me by?

That is their `proper` nickname I think - isn`t one of their forums called after it?

29 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

When we played Man City our programme frequently referred to them as “The Citizens”. I hadn’t heard that one before.

Are they well known by this nickname, and it’s just something that’s passed me by?

I’ve noticed that recently, before that I can only remember them being referred to as ‘City’ or ‘Blues’.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That is their `proper` nickname I think - isn`t one of their forums called after it?

Didn’t know that!

3 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

I’ve noticed that recently, before that I can only remember them being referred to as ‘City’ or ‘Blues’.

Certainly aware of City and Blues, but “Citizens” isn’t one I’ve heard used by the media. Certainly not as well known as, for example, The Red Devils is for United.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Didn’t know that!

Certainly aware of City and Blues, but “Citizens” isn’t one I’ve heard used by the media. Certainly not as well known as, for example, The Red Devils is for United.

I think it does go back a bit - I`m sure I remember Shoot and so on referring to them as The Citizens back in the 60s & 70s and Wiki does have it as one of their nicknames.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Didn’t know that!

Its used by NBC IN THE STATES all the time. If you type in Manchester on the tv it say City (citizens) so blame the septics 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That’s been their nickname for as long as I can remember (which goes back a long, long time!) - they’ve even adapted it to ‘Cityzens’ on training kits, PR etc....

59414465-A737-449D-9366-5896D5863324.png

24D3DEE8-852A-4A01-AF61-0C0E6D2DCDB1.jpeg

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Didn’t know that!

It’s the media that are always coming up with new nicknames. Manchester City’s original nickname was the Citizens. Likewise Crystal Palace are the Glaziers not the Eagles, Chelsea the Pensioners not the Blues, Aston Villa the Villains not the Lions, Leeds the Peacocks not the Whites, and especially West Ham the Irons not the bloody Hammers, which was the nickname of the old West Ham speedway team. There are plenty more changed over the years. Perhaps we should have a be one, any suggestions. 

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Old school Irons you mean. No self respecting West Ham supporter ever refers to his team as the Hammers. You have the media and Johnny Speight, creator of Alf Garnett, to blame for that. 

9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It’s the media that are always coming up with new nicknames. Manchester City’s original nickname was the Citizens. Likewise Crystal Palace are the Glaziers not the Eagles, Chelsea the Pensioners not the Blues, Aston Villa the Villains not the Lions, Leeds the Peacocks not the Whites, and especially West Ham the Irons not the bloody Hammers, which was the nickname of the old West Ham speedway team. There are plenty more changed over the years. Perhaps we should have a be one, any suggestions. 

I've only ever heard Villa called the Villians, who has called them Lions? Millwall are the Lions.

59 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Aston Villa call themselves The Lions, nothing to do with the media:-https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/06/06/lions-club-revamp

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Certainly pre war, it was even in the title of a well known film. 

15 hours ago, myol'man said:

My dad was from Plaistow, so I've got reletives who are lifelong West Ham fans, locally it has always been referred to as the Boleyn ground. Even the pub next door was the Boleyn Tavern. You're having a bubble ?

In decades of closely following football I never heard it once referred to as the Boleyn Ground until the few years before they moved, when it was suddenly called that all the time.

The pub next door doesn't really come into it imo. - in the football world West Ham's ground was universally known as Upton Park - from at least the 60's - just as much as Bristol City were known to play at Ashton Gate.

Some fans may have called it the Boleyn Ground but I never once heard a West Ham player or manager refer to their ground as that -  it was always Upton Park without exception.

Archived