IGNORED

steve lansdown to speak on local radio

1 hour ago, Peter Coles said:

How many times has he said something in public or on  TV and the exact opposite happens. Not selling our better players to rival championship clubs, money talks in the end.

How many times does it have to be explained?

Yes, it was a bit of a silly statement in hindsight, but Villa made what was an exceptional offer for Kodjia (one of, if not, the highest Championship to Championship transfer fees at the time), and it would have been daft to turn it down.

Would you have been rejecting an offer of £11m rising to £15m for someone who had been signed for a quarter of that 1 year earlier?

3 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Sorry Steve you talk CRAP, who said "wouldn't sell to championship clubs," KODJIA, FLINT, BRYAN, you don't want Premier league football, "I'd be happy with 10th"your words, 

Money talks unfortunately to both the club and players. The three players you’ve mentioned will see their wages double if not treble, when that’s the case it’s very difficult for a club to turn down the bid. In an ideal world I would agree, to be fair I think he made the comment to up the selling price 

I'm actually happy to hear Lansdown come out with a more reserved opinion of the club.

Admittedly, I assumed that this would be a "damage control" interview. We're about to sell Bryan to division rivals, and we don't seem to have someone lined up to replace Bryan, so it's nice to see that Lansdown wants to improve on our position and see if we learn the valuable lessons from the past few seasons.

We've lost some key players, but it's not like we haven't spent money. In my view, we've had to sell to boost our ability to pay better wages, so that we don't lose players in the future again. That £20-25m will ensure that the next generation of talent we bring in is as good as the ones we've lost, if not better.

Obviously, giving Bryan the #3 number and playing him when everyone knew he was gone is a huge concern, but I'm going to keep the faith for now and assume that we'll have a similar start to the season as we had before with what we've got. If we don't, LJ, Ashton, and Lansdown have a lot to answer for.

2 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

Sorry Steve you talk CRAP, who said "wouldn't sell to championship clubs," KODJIA, FLINT, BRYAN, you don't want Premier league football, "I'd be happy with 10th"your words, 

WOW!

As Messrs Jagger and Richards once said ‘you can’t always get what you want’ and 11m rising to 15 for a player that doesn’t even start for Villa was good business. Flint and Bryan will net at least/close as much. If the players want to go then you have to cash in and look for the next player to replace them from within or as a transfer, and failing Premier League interest that’s our market.

SL lives and learns by his comments and he wont be saying never again, however to say the bloke who just paid for our stadium our team our training facilities etc, has brought the possibility of a railway station and brought millions into South Bristol talks crap probably shows who is talking crap

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

WOW!

As Messrs Jagger and Richards once said ‘you can’t always get what you want’ and 11m rising to 15 for a player that doesn’t even start for Villa was good business. Flint and Bryan will net at least/close as much. If the players want to go then you have to cash in and look for the next player to replace them from within or as a transfer, and failing Premier League interest that’s our market.

SL lives and learns by his comments and he wont be saying never again, however to say the bloke who just paid for our stadium our team our training facilities etc, has brought the possibility of a railway station and brought millions into South Bristol talks crap probably shows who is talking crap

I think SL does talk crap sometimes to be fairbut his heart seems to be in the right place and there are a whole lot of worse owners out there. I can't personally see we will improve on 11th, but whilst it will no doubt upset some people, I don't see the likes of Boro and maybe Villa as our rivals this season because they will I suspect be operating higher up the table. As others have said, the players get the chance to double their wages and go somewhere with a better chance of the promised land. The club which is resigned t losing them gets the best fee it can and ploughs the money back into the squad unlike some clubs we could mention.

I personally think we could have offered Bryan and Flint £20k per week and they would still walk because unfortunately at this time, where they have gone or are allegedly going is a step up for a player.

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

WOW!

when you say our stadium you mean his don't you, are we not just one of the teams that play there?

After all, if it was ours we would be quids in from the rental from the others that use it and royalties from food/drink ST`s etc, without even taking into account our transfer dealings this season.

So please tell me did he pay for our stadium and now he`s given it to us if its ours or maybe he and his BS are the ones making money from his investment and we just get what comes from the SL table and are grateful. We are just one of his tenants imo.

20 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

WOW!

Not talking crap as you say, shouldn't say one thing to us supporters but do the opposite, 

1 minute ago, Bri Stool City said:

when you say our stadium you mean his don't you, are we not just one of the teams that play there?

After all, if it was ours we would be quids in from the rental from the others that use it and royalties from food/drink ST`s etc, without even taking into account our transfer dealings this season.

So please tell me did he pay for our stadium and now he`s given it to us if its ours or maybe he and his BS are the ones making money from his investment and just get what comes from the SL table and are grateful. We are just one of his tenants imo.

OH PLEASE BEHAVE. We are quids in from the rental and the money raised by corporate events etc etc etc. Are you really implying that SL and Bristol sport are making money that is not ploughed into the club (and yes clubs) that promote South Bristol and that the Lansdown family are making a bundle with your ticket and occasional program purchase with a pint?

SL is so rich the average bloke can not comprehend what his value actually is. The pittance that Bristol Sport makes in comparison to the blokes ‘ever (daily) growing’ wealth is less than negligible in the scheme of things. 

What do you think is going on at Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and any number of clubs who have wealthy benefactors. 

Still my shares in Bristol City are ploughed in right after SL’s, I guess yours are not?

IMO What SL really wants one day is a Knighthood as money at this point is meaningless.

8 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

So please tell me did he pay for our stadium and now he`s given it to us if its ours or maybe he and his BS are the ones making money from his investment and we just get what comes from the SL table and are grateful. We are just one of his tenants imo.

You are right it isn't our stadium, but if it was, it wouldn't look anything like it does now and people wouldn't be queuing up to rent space either.

SL writes off losses year on year and whilst of course he has backed stupid spending so must take some responsibility for the losses, he writes the cheques  and cleans up the books. Whilst i'm sure he wants the users to stand on their own feet, that isn't happening anytime soon and i'm certain he could have spent that £40m whatever more profitably for his family elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I think SL does talk crap sometimes to be fairbut his heart seems to be in the right place and there are a whole lot of worse owners out there.

Until such time that various suiters arrive at the gate with lorries full of cash he can talk as much crap as he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at the facilities at the club now in comparison to 5-6 years ago coupled with the fact that we are a middling Championship side as a opposed to upper half of the Div 1 is reason to be cheerful. It's easy to say our players are average but the club have come a long way over the last few years which is something to be grateful for.

It could be worse. It could be worse. I pity (only slightly) the Gas who believed they had a rich benefactor buy into the club only to discover he alternates his time between the Mem and his caravan at Brean.

BTW: I don't believe he talks crap.

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

We've lost some key players, but it's not like we haven't spent money. In my view, we've had to sell to boost our ability to pay better wages, so that we don't lose players in the future again. That £20-25m will ensure that the next generation of talent we bring in is as good as the ones we've lost, if not better.

I'm not sure I agree, is Weimann better than Reid? We had the chance to spend the money saved on Tomlin (let alone avoid the fee / wages for Weimann) by tying down Bobby Reid last year in October instead we chose to let him go, presumably because we feared we would open the door to more wage rises across the senior players.

I don't think this will ever change, Bristol Sport want a sustainable footing so we will never pay the going rate for real talent. 

I'm not sure I see any evidence we are trading up each window, in fact we seem to spend a large amount hoping someone will do great things on loan, or in the development squad before we release them.

5 minutes ago, eric04 said:

The policy is simple.  Buy young talent, develop talent, sell talent for profit, reinvest profit. 

This will be the model until we get in the Premier League, and even then I suspect it will form the basis of our approach. 

Unfortunately, so are many of our fans.

:whistle:

I started listening on the way home from work. 

Anybody think we lost 0-4 on Saturday with the doom and gloom from everybody. Its the same people who get on every week and they moan whatever the score or performance. I wish they would get a grip. 1 game in, a 1-1 draw against one of the big spending favourites for promotion not the best start but not the worst.

14 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I'm not sure I agree, is Weimann better than Reid? We had the chance to spend the money saved on Tomlin (let alone avoid the fee / wages for Weimann) by tying down Bobby Reid last year in October instead we chose to let him go, presumably because we feared we would open the door to more wage rises across the senior players.

I don't think this will ever change, Bristol Sport want a sustainable footing so we will never pay the going rate for real talent. 

I'm not sure I see any evidence we are trading up each window, in fact we seem to spend a large amount hoping someone will do great things on loan, or in the development squad before we release them.

We're paying more for players than we were a few years ago, so in my mind it is working, albeit very slowly. There is also the danger that any shift in fortune will erase ALL of that good work, as we'll need years to build our position up again.

Weimann probably isn't any better than Reid, but it's worth keeping the faith for now. It's why I say this season is critical for LJ, because if these signings don't pan out it'll probably be his head on the block.

20 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

We're paying more for players than we were a few years ago, so in my mind it is working, albeit very slowly. There is also the danger that any shift in fortune will erase ALL of that good work, as we'll need years to build our position up again.

Weimann probably isn't any better than Reid, but it's worth keeping the faith for now. It's why I say this season is critical for LJ, because if these signings don't pan out it'll probably be his head on the block.

That's not good enough.  We demand it is working fully NOW! Don't these people know who we are?!?!?  

Apparently....

14 hours ago, eric04 said:

The policy is simple.  Buy young talent, develop talent, sell talent for profit, reinvest profit. 

This will be the model until we get in the Premier League, and even then I suspect it will form the basis of our approach. 

Or is the policy buy / develop young talent, loan them to division 2 / non league then release / sell them. There are so many examples in the last few years.

For me Lloyd Kelly will be the true test of this policy. There are so many examples of talented 18 year olds developing in the first team in the Championship. Even Joe Bryan was getting games at 18. We have to have faith that players can step up when needed and accelerate their development rather than replacing with mediocre experience, so we never see young players true potential at City.

Otherwise it's pointless paying and loaning 20 development team players each year.

9 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

That's not good enough.  We demand it is working fully NOW! Don't these people know who we are?!?!?  

Apparently....

This is my gripe with the club, though. It's great to have a long-term plan of getting somewhere over several years, but you can't do this AND have your owner saying that the goal this season is promotion, alongside your manager saying to your players that you are a "Premier League side in training".

Yes, the fans are wrong to expect promotion, but I can't blame them for buying into what the powers that be are suggesting. At the very least, we should improve on last season, otherwise LJ should be sacked and Lansdown should bear the full responsibility of where we are now.

We have the best owner in the championship. Fact. We are blessed to have him. When the likes of seasoned campaigners Such as Warnock comes out with little Lee had the ‘dream ticket’ he is right.

do you want a Vincent Tan or similar. It beggars belief that so many want to bash him. That said that is not the view of the silent majority 

25 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Apparently....

I don’t think people expecting it to work NOW is that unfair given he’s been leading the charge for at least 15 years. What timescales did you envisage when he took over? 

Its not a criticism, just don’t think it’s unfair discussion point.

Archived