IGNORED

Multi cultural Bristol

sglosbcfc

Now that we could field an entirely Muslim front line - Mohammed Eisa, Famara Diedhou and Milan Djuric (assuming he's Muslim as majority of Bosnian's are) it got me thinking what efforts have the club made to engage the large Somali community in Bristol. There is also the more established Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities as well. I am sure parents born or growing up in the 70s and 80s might have a view of British football of skinheads, National Front supported, monkey chants, bananas etc but we all know things have changed a lot. I took a mate last season who looks like a Muslim stereotype (long beard, traditional Islamic clothing etc) and I was half expecting at least one negative comment but not at all, he was accepted as a fellow City fan and not treated any differently. We should make an effort before the 'family club' try to entice them with a game of 'boob cricket'.

I've always wondered why we didn't do more scouting in places like Poland, considering the large Polish population in Bristol and Weston. I spoke to some Italians living in Bristol last season who went down because of Eros, I'm sure we could do more there.

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I've always wondered why we didn't do more scouting in places like Poland, considering the large Polish population in Bristol and Weston. I spoke to some Italians living in Bristol last season who went down because of Eros, I'm sure we could do more there.

I was met a Roma fan outside the ground last season who was going to watch the match v Millwall. I had a spare ticket so he came in with me (shame it was probably the worst game of the season). I now have an open invitation to watch a Roma game whenever I'm in Italy. 

10 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I'm not sure but I don't think people start supporting a football club because some of the players have the same religion.

No, but they may go watch a few teams who players they resonate with.

Like if I knew there was a few Bristolians playing Charlton (my local team) I’d be more tempted to go.

1 minute ago, winsleyred said:

Some might

But some might just because they go to university or simply have moved to the city, I don't know why we would specifically reach out to one minority when we should be reaching out to the whole city.

11 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Now that we could field an entirely Muslim front line - Mohammed Eisa, Famara Diedhou and Milan Djuric (assuming he's Muslim as majority of Bosnian's are) it got me thinking what efforts have the club made to engage the large Somali community in Bristol. There is also the more established Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities as well. I am sure parents born or growing up in the 70s and 80s might have a view of British football of skinheads, National Front supported, monkey chants, bananas etc but we all know things have changed a lot. I took a mate last season who looks like a Muslim stereotype (long beard, traditional Islamic clothing etc) and I was half expecting at least one negative comment but not at all, he was accepted as a fellow City fan and not treated any differently. We should make an effort before the 'family club' try to entice them with a game of 'boob cricket'.

Why don't Somalis try to engage with the football club like everyone else has to ? They are no more special than any other group  and I don't see any efforts made by the club to engage with people based on ethnicity or religion and quite right too.

What does that even mean - give free tickets away ?

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

No, but they may go watch a few teams who players they resonate with.

Like if I knew there was a few Bristolians playing Charlton (my local team) I’d be more tempted to go.

Yeah but there are no Somalis playing for City are there.

I doubt there is any affinity with a guy from Bosnia.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Why don't Somalis try to engage with the football club like everyone else has to ? They are no more special than any other group  and I don't see any efforts made by the club to engage with people based on ethnicity or religion and quite right too.

What does that even mean - give free tickets away ?

Possibly because of bigoted views that were widely reported in the 70s and 80s and the perceived view that watching football is someone white, working class people do. Football has changed massively since then, and if reaching out to a community that don't think to attend matches means some are minded to give it a try, I can see no harm in that.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Possibly because of bigoted views that were widely reported in the 70s and 80s and the perceived view that watching football is someone white, working class people do. Football has changed massively since then, and if reaching out to a community that don't think to attend matches means some are minded to give it a try, I can see no harm in that.

How are you going to reach out then?

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

What bubble do they live in and how many were even born or  living in Bristol in the 1970's ?

The demographic of football fan is completely different nowadays and if any could be bothered to watch a match on the tv or actually get their arses down the Gate under their own steam like everyone else they would see that.

Discrimination based on ethnicity and/or faith is divisive and possibly illegal.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

What bubble do they live in and how many were even born or  living in Bristol in the 1970's ?

The demographic of football fan is completely different nowadays and if any could be bothered to watch a match on the tv or actually get their arses down the Gate under their own steam like everyone else they would see that.

Discrimination based on ethnicity and/or faith is divisive and possibly illegal.

I have no idea what - if any - bubble people live in, neither do I know if the community trust have approached community leaders to promoted all of the sports under the Bristol Sport banner. All I am saying is that to grow our fan base further, I don't see how such an undertaking could be seen as a negative thing.

Some people have the confidence to reach out, some wait to be invited. Why not make the invitation?

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Djuric is ethnically a Serb

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I have no idea what - if any - bubble people live in, neither do I know if the community trust have approached community leaders to promoted all of the sports under the Bristol Sport banner. All I am saying is that to grow our fan base further, I don't see how such an undertaking could be seen as a negative thing.

Some people have the confidence to reach out, some wait to be invited. Why not make the invitation?

What is so special about that group over and above anyone else ?

Its a negative because everyone should be treated equally and as for not having confidence to reach out don't make me laugh. Somalis of a certain age grew up in a war zone so they ain't shy about getting something they want..

I look forward to seeing them in their hundreds down AG stumping up their £33 whatever and supporting the local club that has (in my living memory) embraced newcomers from everywhere.

We won't agree Rob so best leave it.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

What is so special about that group over and above anyone else ?

Its a negative because everyone should be treated equally and as for not having confidence to reach out don't make me laugh. Somalis of a certain age grew up in a war zone so they ain't shy about getting something they want..

I look forward to seeing them in their hundreds down AG stumping up their £33 whatever and supporting the local club that has (in my living memory) embraced newcomers from everywhere.

We won't agree Rob so best leave it.

Happy to leave it, but to be clear I'm not talking about any one community, I would welcome a far more diverse fan base and if we have to invite them initially then I don't see that as being anything but positive community engagement by the club.

I’ve never been to watch Gloucestershire play cricket in Bristol. Is the crowd almost nearly all white people or do you get a good mix of races? If Gloucestershire sign an Indian, Bangladeshi or Pakistani player do you then see an influx of Asian fans starting to turn up to games? 

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Why dont these ethnic groups reach out and integrate more than they do, plenty of local teams to join and two pro clubs in our City?

Well said. Probably be branded a racist, but I don't see how it's our effort to get people to integrate with our society - it should be the other way around.

There was a time when I was going to move to La Linea De La Concepcion in Southern Spain (near Gibraltar). I learnt Spanish, inquired about tickets to Malaga FC, made a point of visiting local eateries and bars and even visited the local Church on Sunday. I made the effort to integrate with the society I was about to join and that's how it should be. But in this country, we bend over backwards to accommodate others. All wrong IMO.

I also can't see the club endorsing a campaign where you are encouraging a specific ethnic/religious group who live in the City to attend matches purely because we have players who share their racial background or religion - surely that in itself could be deemed racist by some?

25 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

I’ve never been to watch Gloucestershire play cricket in Bristol. Is the crowd almost nearly all white people or do you get a good mix of races? If Gloucestershire sign an Indian, Bangladeshi or Pakistani player do you then see an influx of Asian fans starting to turn up to games? 

Glos crowd very white, middle class but some other counties (like Leicestershire for example) have a strong Asian following.

Archived