IGNORED

An interesting next 3 days

As it is looking more than likely that Joe will be on his way,  will the board be showing some intent by bringing in some new faces before dead line.

After the Forest game I was hoping that there would be at least one more quality signing coming in as I worry about our attack,  especially the next five games without Famara.

If Joe leaves and no more players arrive then like many others  I will be extremely fed up as this will show no ambition what so ever.

So don't let us down Jon and Mark,  see if you can steal Tammy for another year and a bit of experienced cover for Lloyd will be good.

Don't worry about the deadline. It's not really a deadline for championship more so incoming transfers for prem. Expect a lot of loans to be done in the next month across the board with agreements to make perm in January.  

We will be fine if Bryan goes as we will find a replacement in that time. Might even work in our favour with the prem finalising their squads and therefore now in a position to leg someone leave where they won't be able to this week.

12 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

As it is looking more than likely that Joe will be on his way,  will the board be showing some intent by bringing in some new faces before dead line.

After the Forest game I was hoping that there would be at least one more quality signing coming in as I worry about our attack,  especially the next five games without Famara.

If Joe leaves and no more players arrive then like many others  I will be extremely fed up as this will show no ambition what so ever.

So don't let us down Jon and Mark,  see if you can steal Tammy for another year and a bit of experienced cover for Lloyd will be good.

Thank goodness more supporters are starting to see the light. Agreed.

10 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

It's going to be a massively important 3 days especially if Joe Bryan is sold. I d have to agree with with what you've said as I'm feeling a little deflated atm , selling Aden to Boro and by the looks of it Joe to either Villa or Boro is frustrating  to say tge least..I can understand that the club has to cash in and don't want to lose out but you have to wonder why both Flinty and Bryan want to leave are we less ambitious than the rest or purely money motivated.

11 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Don't worry about the deadline. It's not really a deadline for championship more so incoming transfers for prem. Expect a lot of loans to be done in the next month across the board with agreements to make perm in January.  

We will be fine if Bryan goes as we will find a replacement in that time. Might even work in our favour with the prem finalising their squads and therefore now in a position to leg someone leave where they won't be able to this week.

Loans are fine but permanent transfers end on 9th August for Football League- but yeah loan in August, perm start of Jan will be a definite way lots of clubs will go.

4 minutes ago, 50cal said:

It's going to be a massively important 3 days especially if Joe Bryan is sold. I d have to agree with with what you've said as I'm feeling a little deflated atm , selling Aden to Boro and by the looks of it Joe to either Villa or Boro is frustrating  to say tge least..I can understand that the club has to cash in and don't want to lose out but you have to wonder why both Flinty and Bryan want to leave are we less ambitious than the rest or purely money motivated.

I like to think its because they have a higher chance of getting promoted first and money second. Anyone that think were playing in the same league in anything other than league is fooling themselves. Much better squads and much bigger budgets so yes they do have more ambition but the way we catch up is to sell players at a profit and buy the next best up and coming star gradually getting better and better future stars so that we can challenge at the right time.

I remember when Sir Alex said that all top clubs' key signings have to be looked at two seasons in advance and when the deals are completed, they are completed early in their respective transfer windows.

Squad players can be signed later in transfer windows, but the key starters are signed on day 1 of the window so they spend the maximum time with the squad.

Having a young kid all alone as our only left back is not what I had in mind - dont care how super awesome he may be, he could break his leg on Saturday and we'd be up a certain creek without a certain instrument.

When the business is concluded early, it settles the side and the team are ready to go for the season ahead. - granted, some signings are done later but majority of them are early.

Expect to see a lot of 'Loans' go through till late August. 

I agree with the OP about a lack of presence up top. We have a lot of strikers though, unless one moves on, I don't think we should be in for any more. 

I do think a left back is vital though. Malone would be a good signing on paper. Da Silva on loan from Chelsea would be one I'd also definitely take. 

4 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I remember when Sir Alex said that all top clubs' key signings have to be looked at two seasons in advance and when the deals are completed, they are completed early in their respective transfer windows.

Squad players can be signed later in transfer windows, but the key starters are signed on day 1 of the window so they spend the maximum time with the squad.

Having a young kid all alone as our only left back is not what I had in mind - dont care how super awesome he may be, he could break his leg on Saturday and we'd be up a certain creek without a certain instrument.

When the business is concluded early, it settles the side and the team are ready to go for the season ahead. - granted, some signings are done later but majority of them are early.

The real world isn’t that simplistic though. It might be when you’re managing Man Utd and you’re a bigger draw than 99% of other teams around the world, but not for the likes of us. 

The Fam situation is highly frustrating but are we really likely to bring a striker in for 4 game cover? Seems unlikely (assuming Johnson is happy with his striking options once FD is available)

5 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Agree fully.

Cannot underestimate how unsettling it is selling Bryan just after the summer. The turnaround of players over the summer is bad enough, but after Game 1 of the season a couple of days before- a key component of the side at that- big worry.

Obviously we need a 2nd left back, as you say an injury and we're in trouble if no Bryan, no Magnússon to cover and if Kelly gets injured then as you say in big trouble.

For me, Bryan would be one sale too many- at the wrong time.

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

The result world isn’t that simplistic though. It might be when you’re managing Man Utd and you’re a bigger draw than 99% of other teams around the world, but not for the likes of us. 

I appreciate that, but we should still be able to have the squad ready for the season without this sort of nonsense hanging over us.

We're a professional football club in one of the highly respected football leagues in the world - why can't we conduct our business to the same degree as those above us? 

Get the squad together on day one of pre season, tell the players and their agents that they have "x time" to ship them out if needs be, once that date is over, tough, they stay until January. Even if we take a financial hit on them going for less in that time, their minds are fully on playing for us without the club sitting at Panic Stations just before the Summer Window closes.

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Bryan needs to go now and looks like he will. The club will have lined up his replacement months ago.

If Djuric goes then will be interesting to see if we backfill and have someone lined up - We have a decent war chest still!’

I hope so. But the last minute deals act as a domino effect sometimes and players who were on the radar end up somewhere else.

What i cant understand is suddenly 2 rival clubs bid for jb. They had all window to bid but acording to lj no bids have been recieved up to now. So why wait till after the 1st game. Is it to undermine little old Bristol City because it certainly hasnt left us time to find a replacement. Villa did the same with kodja if memory serves.

2 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

What i cant understand is suddenly 2 rival clubs bid for jb. They had all window to bid but acording to lj no bids have been recieved up to now. So why wait till after the 1st game. Is it to undermine little old Bristol City because it certainly hasnt left us time to find a replacement. Villa did the same with kodja if memory serves.

I think it’s more to do with who blinks first. Also villa have had their financial troubles. Is frustrating though 

7 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Getting funds from their player sales I would expect

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

I will make a prediction that you can hold me to, mo eisa will be every bit as effective as tammy Abraham given the chance, I don't see us signing another striker for that very reason, think you will be shocked at the impact he will make, am expecting him to make quite an impression and this time next year we will be getting bids of £8 million for him.

24 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I appreciate that, but we should still be able to have the squad ready for the season without this sort of nonsense hanging over us.

We're a professional football club in one of the highly respected football leagues in the world - why can't we conduct our business to the same degree as those above us? 

Get the squad together on day one of pre season, tell the players and their agents that they have "x time" to ship them out if needs be, once that date is over, tough, they stay until January. Even if we take a financial hit on them going for less in that time, their minds are fully on playing for us without the club sitting at Panic Stations just before the Summer Window closes.

As far as I’m aware, we do. 

Obviously clubs would love their complete and definite squads in place by the time the season starts. But it rarely happens. 

We wont be the only team losing players close to the window shutting. Boro and Gibson for example. Bigger club than us but still getting their better players poached. 

We all have our place in the food chain. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

As far as I’m aware, we do. 

Obviously clubs would love their complete and definite squads in place by the time the season starts. But it rarely happens. 

We wont be the only team losing players close to the window shutting. Boro and Gibson for example. Bigger club than us but still getting their better players poached. 

We all have our place in the food chain. 

And Traore by the looks of things

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree fully.

Cannot underestimate how unsettling it is selling Bryan just after the summer. The turnaround of players over the summer is bad enough, but after Game 1 of the season a couple of days before- a key component of the side at that- big worry.

Obviously we need a 2nd left back, as you say an injury and we're in trouble if no Bryan, no Magnússon to cover and if Kelly gets injured then as you say in big trouble.

For me, Bryan would be one sale too many- at the wrong time.

Our hands are somewhat tied with JB. He’s been offered a contract and if he’s not going to sign it, then we need to cash in while he’s still worth a decent transfer fee. 

I’d like to think that JB is good enough to have been clear and honest about his intentions and that we have someone lined up for if he is to leave. 

For those saying “but Villa/‘Boro..?” We canonly accept offers from those who make them. 

Ideally he’d be off to ply his trade in the Prem, but if he’s not being offered that chance, then on of the championship “big guns” is the next best option for him. 

We are absolutely left short at LB if he goes, but I’m sure we’ve got a back up plan if it happens. 

26 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Little old Bristol City maybe a thought process of some/many supporters of the so called big clubs in this league, however most clubs will have an equivalent Mark Ashton who will know that we are funded by a Billionaire and cant be pushed around financially. However where we can be pushed around is status ascribed by a player, thus Leeds, Boro and Villa may be viewed as a better option by players. Nevertheless players get stale and the club agents and the players themselves will be aware of that and often its a case of time to move on!!

If JB goes take the money and move on. LJ/MA/SL already know the plan in that event, we can only hope it works (what ever it is)

I think we might be surprised by a couple of higher profile incomings myself.

Nothing that has gone on in terms of players leaving has come out of the blue (even Djuric has said he wants to return to Italy asap). The club will have replacements/improvements lined up.

I predict a GK, LB and target man at least.

52 minutes ago, pillred said:

I will make a prediction that you can hold me to, mo eisa will be every bit as effective as tammy Abraham given the chance, I don't see us signing another striker for that very reason, think you will be shocked at the impact he will make, am expecting him to make quite an impression and this time next year we will be getting bids of £8 million for him.

Interesting, but as enthused as I too am about Mo's potential, I really can't see him getting anywhere near to matching Tammy.

Might put up a little prediction thread just for fun once we know what's happening with JB.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

He'll have to start playing more than 15 mins a game pretty sharpish if he is to make a big impression.

LJ seems to use Matty Taylor as his first choice striker sub. About time he saw he isn't good enough and moved on imho.

Best way to describe this summer for me is we lost a lot of star power. Flint, Reid and Bryan all rated as some of the best in the championship. They had flaws but had a bit of magic. 

We bought well but do we have any magic? Think Fam has some but then who? I’d describe Weimann and Watkins as grafters. Hunt and Webster solid champ additions but not stars. Not complaining but feel we don’t have enough game changers to really challenge the top 6. Which is a shame because 1-2 and a season of staying fit, I think we’d be a problem for many teams. As it stands have to rely on Fam and hard work. It is fine but I reckon there will be quite a few dull draws that one of the 3 we lost could change. 

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Best way to describe this summer for me is we lost a lot of star power. Flint, Reid and Bryan all rated as some of the best in the championship. They had flaws but had a bit of magic. 

We bought well but do we have any magic? Think Fam has some but then who? I’d describe Weimann and Watkins as grafters. Hunt and Webster solid champ additions but not stars. Not complaining but feel we don’t have enough game changers to really challenge the top 6. Which is a shame because 1-2 and a season of staying fit, I think we’d be a problem for many teams. As it stands have to rely on Fam and hard work. It is fine but I reckon there will be quite a few dull draws that one of the 3 we lost could change. 

Spot on mate Joe and Flinter always chipped with vital goals and some good ones as well. Bobby's tremendous season last year with all them goals can't see players coming in repeating that tbh.

Archived