IGNORED

An interesting next 3 days

6 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Spot on mate Joe and Flinter always chipped with vital goals and some good ones as well. Bobby's tremendous season last year with all them goals can't see players coming in repeating that tbh.

Give them a chance , Weiman has scored in his last two matches. 

How many ‘stars’ did Cardiff have last season? Or did we have in 07/08? Or Huddersfield in 16/17? 

The key for me is assembling a team greater than the sum of its parts, something Johnson Senior did remarkably well.

To me it seems like LJ is attempting to go down the same route in assembling a team with the right work ethic and singing from the same hymn sheet as it were. 

No complaints from me. I’d rather see us establish ourselves over 2-3 seasons as a ‘steady’ club than go from high to low and back again in the pursuit of ‘stars’. 

Hopefully at least this whole episode is something of a reality check about the gargantuan task of competing with clubs who have recently been in the premier league. It’s a whole other world, financially speaking, and we’re not dining at the same table as yet as clubs like Villa, Boro etc. 

Considering that Joe has been lined up to leave since May, and Magnússon too, plus Goulbourne slipping out the back door, leaving us with just a 20 year old (a very good one admittedly but who thinks of himself as a centre back) as cover at left back, you would really hope that we have someone lined up. Baker or Webster at left back cover is a non- starter. Most likely the club will have been eyeing up an equivalent player at this level or just below, who will fit our wage structure, and on an unspectacular fee. Given that scenario, you wonder why we haven't brought someone in already, especially if they potentially had to compete with or play second fiddle to Kelly.

Osborn from Forest, who had a good game on Saturday, would have been a good shout in previous seasons, but at this level they have gone from a selling club to a buying club. We are a bit of both if it's at the right price. The other 3 defenders excluding Bryan, all came from other Championship clubs (Ipswich, Villa & Sheffield Wednesday respectively) so on that basis, it's hardly as if we need to go hunting around the bargain basement section for a suitable replacement at left back.

16 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Pato, when on form, is capable of “that bit of magic”.  I’d argue it’s up to Elliason and O’Dowda to step up  in that regard this season. 

Paterson hasn't been the same player since before Christmas, when he became unwell. He was always a bit lightweight both literally & metaphorically, but on Saturday he really offered nothing. However he appears to be an LJ favourite, so he will probably start against Bolton.

35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Give them a chance , Weiman has scored in his last two matches. 

I am not worried about goals in general. Think Weimann will get his share. Just think we lack game changers. Joe Bryan for all his flaws at LB won us some matches with his goals. Same as Flint. Bobby Reid had one outstanding season where he was responsible for something like 25 goals. Don’t see any of that in this squad yet. 

Can appreciate we will be more reliable and harder working this season. Just lacking a couple players that can turn a point into 3. Someone mentioned Eliasson, COD and I would add Brownhill. It is yet to be seen but I would hope atleast 1 of them can step into that role. Pato we just have realise won’t be consistenly providing that bit of magic. 

It's a pity Djuric is leaving as he would have been ideal back-up for Famara or an impact sub when we need to go direct or lack physicality up front.  It's a bit annoying as we got him fit and his thank-you note is a leaving request.   

We might be short of a goalkeeper too. That said, I'd be reasonably happy with our squad if we only signed a creative central midfielder who can contribute goals and unlock defences in the final third.  They are a bit elusive but LJ's / MA's transfer purchase wallet is now bulging.  

I think Eisa is one of those players who will score goals at any level - that's what born, natural goal scorers do and he is technically a classy looking player as well.  I also think Lloyd Kelly will do better than JB and I hope we don't go down the route of getting an experienced , late end career and out of favour back-up.  I think we did that with Scott Golbourne. A+ for effort and professionalism on his part but not what we need. We already have a player in that category in Pisano who impressed at RB before injury and the other option is to give Cameron Pring a few games as back-up to LK as he excelled pre-season.  There again  'you can't win anything with kids' ... copyright Alan Hansen.

16 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Expect to see a lot of 'Loans' go through till late August. 

I agree with the OP about a lack of presence up top. We have a lot of strikers though, unless one moves on, I don't think we should be in for any more. 

I do think a left back is vital though. Malone would be a good signing on paper. Da Silva on loan from Chelsea would be one I'd also definitely take. 

So in a nutshell the deadline day is actually the 31st Aug as after the 9th you just say to a player, we'll sign you on loan then make it permanent?

Let’s not forget we ball’s up the best chance we’ll ever get last season with a disgraceful January transfer window and and pathetic second half of the season...

The Chances of LJ buying the tools to get us out this division like Warnock regularly does is just simply not gonna happen..

This club needs a manager who can get results with minimal resources ie Cardiff last year... 

LJ is not the answer I’m afraid...

18 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am not worried about goals in general. Think Weimann will get his share. Just think we lack game changers. Joe Bryan for all his flaws at LB won us some matches with his goals. Same as Flint. Bobby Reid had one outstanding season where he was responsible for something like 25 goals. Don’t see any of that in this squad yet. 

Can appreciate we will be more reliable and harder working this season. Just lacking a couple players that can turn a point into 3. Someone mentioned Eliasson, COD and I would add Brownhill. It is yet to be seen but I would hope atleast 1 of them can step into that role. Pato we just have realise won’t be consistenly providing that bit of magic. 

Diedhiou after a season at this level will only be better, and is the most likely player to get to 20 goals this season. Eisa is the unknown quantity, but given his upward trajectory should get goals, although Matty Taylor is a salutory lesson in proving that scoring heavily at lower levels doesn't guarantee similar feats in the Championship. Weimann will get a few and given his record, double figures would be a good return for the season.

As for goals from elsewhere in the team, Kelly will get a few as per Bryan, but the real loss will be Flint's contribution, either popping up unexpectedly in a goal scoring position and tucking it away with aplomb, or all of those towering headers that had a sense of inevitability about them. No evidence that Webster or Baker will get more than 1or 2 per season at most.

Finally it's the contribution from midfield and the wings. In simple terms, they need to get more. Pack & Brownhill are capable, and even Korey Smith can score, as proved against Man Utd, although league goals seem to come along only once every 4 seasons for him, but overall we don't get enough from them. As for our plethora of both fit and crocked wingers, again they have to produce and take more chances. Elliason actually looks the most capable on current form, so hopefully an early season goal will get him into gear.

It's not all doom & gloom, and Saturday's game against Bolton will give us a better opportunity to gauge where we sit in the division. That said they beat West Brom, so it certainly won't be easy!

17 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

As it is looking more than likely that Joe will be on his way,  will the board be showing some intent by bringing in some new faces before dead line.

After the Forest game I was hoping that there would be at least one more quality signing coming in as I worry about our attack,  especially the next five games without Famara.

If Joe leaves and no more players arrive then like many others  I will be extremely fed up as this will show no ambition what so ever.

So don't let us down Jon and Mark,  see if you can steal Tammy for another year and a bit of experienced cover for Lloyd will be good.

Yes that makes sense

26 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Let’s not forget we ball’s up the best chance we’ll ever get last season with a disgraceful January transfer window and and pathetic second half of the season...

The Chances of LJ buying the tools to get us out this division like Warnock regularly does is just simply not gonna happen..

This club needs a manager who can get results with minimal resources ie Cardiff last year... 

I'm not convinced that LJ was and is the right appointment, or that he will still be in post come February. But this does not stop me respecting the man. He's started every season by losing his top goal scorer -  Kodjia, Abraham and now Reid - along with some other good players as well. I don't suppose he actively advocated or supported any of these deals. Yet he presses on without throwing a public tantrum. Few if any of the Warnock's, Bruce's or Pulis's  of this world - let alone the likes of the special one - could be so dignified.. So if and when this all ends in tears, I will still admire LJ.      

3 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Great post. Keep your head down now mate, you will get your IP address checked and accused of being a troll for that truthful post.

3 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

I fear I’m edging this way too.

Next three days are crucial. Going to be interesting. Forward, attacking midfielder and keeper. Big ask, but Lummydaze he’s had the time to line them all up. 

Please no more loanees - likes of Kent and Diony - makes me think these types of punts are no longer worthwhile. 

6 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I fear I’m edging this way too.

Next three days are crucial. Going to be interesting. Forward, attacking midfielder and keeper. Big ask, but Lummydaze he’s had the time to line them all up. 

Please no more loanees - likes of Kent and Diony - makes me think these types of punts are no longer worthwhile. 

No they're not, you can loan with the option to buy in January until the end of the month.

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

Won't stop some people having a go at LJ if he doesn't get a new st, gk, lb etc before Thursday....

YEAH, you are probably right about that, however as has been mentioned a million times January was a complete cock up (at the very least did nothing to support a team running on empty) and as such many have lost faith in our ability to bring in what we need, particularly as some will argue the exodus was a direct result!

4 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Diedhiou after a season at this level will only be better, and is the most likely player to get to 20 goals this season. Eisa is the unknown quantity, but given his upward trajectory should get goals, although Matty Taylor is a salutory lesson in proving that scoring heavily at lower levels doesn't guarantee similar feats in the Championship. Weimann will get a few and given his record, double figures would be a good return for the season.

As for goals from elsewhere in the team, Kelly will get a few as per Bryan, but the real loss will be Flint's contribution, either popping up unexpectedly in a goal scoring position and tucking it away with aplomb, or all of those towering headers that had a sense of inevitability about them. No evidence that Webster or Baker will get more than 1or 2 per season at most.

Finally it's the contribution from midfield and the wings. In simple terms, they need to get more. Pack & Brownhill are capable, and even Korey Smith can score, as proved against Man Utd, although league goals seem to come along only once every 4 seasons for him, but overall we don't get enough from them. As for our plethora of both fit and crocked wingers, again they have to produce and take more chances. Elliason actually looks the most capable on current form, so hopefully an early season goal will get him into gear.

It's not all doom & gloom, and Saturday's game against Bolton will give us a better opportunity to gauge where we sit in the division. That said they beat West Brom, so it certainly won't be easy!

I keep reading this a lot, as if we've lost a 20 goal a season player in Flint. Don't get me wrong, he was a goal threat, but the 7 goals he got last year could be replaced elsewhere in the team.

We've already scored once from a corner and Webster had a good header cleared off the line...so the evidence is there actually.

Add the school of thought that we became too reliant on Flint at set pieces, too predictable. This could be backed up by the fact he scored his first 5 goals in the first 4 months and then only 2 in the next 5. Perhaps defenders found him out a bit more?

Either way now we have the chance to mix things up at set pieces. 

27 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I keep reading this a lot, as if we've lost a 20 goal a season player in Flint. Don't get me wrong, he was a goal threat, but the 7 goals he got last year could be replaced elsewhere in the team.

We've already scored once from a corner and Webster had a good header cleared off the line...so the evidence is there actually.

Add the school of thought that we became too reliant on Flint at set pieces, too predictable. This could be backed up by the fact he scored his first 5 goals in the first 4 months and then only 2 in the next 5. Perhaps defenders found him out a bit more?

Either way now we have the chance to mix things up at set pieces. 

The goals could and must be replaced by conceding fewer.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

No they're not, you can loan with the option to buy in January until the end of the month.

Contract for Kent/Diony with an option to buy would have been terrific. 

With the exception of Tammy - who we could never afford - our loans have been near unmitigated disasters. Tomlin was great mind ... until we bought him. 

Maybe just forget players this window and, given LJs got a job for life, let’s just buy Brentford’s backroom staff and give them responsibility for the Club strategy, buying and selling players.

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Contract for Kent/Diony with an option to buy would have been terrific. 

With the exception of Tammy - who we could never afford - our loans have been near unmitigated disasters. Tomlin was great mind ... until we bought him. 

Maybe just forget players this window and, given LJs got a job for life, let’s just buy Brentford’s backroom staff and give them responsibility for the Club strategy, buying and selling players.

Just pointing out the next three days aren't as crucial on here as some believe 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Just pointing out the next three days aren't as crucial on here as some believe 

Yes, sorry I get that. 

I’m just pointing out that our loans have been hopeless in the main, so the next three days remain crucial in my view. 

2 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Yes, sorry I get that. 

I’m just pointing out that our loans have been hopeless in the main, so the next three days remain crucial in my view. 

Essentially they wouldn't be loans though if there's an option (or more likely agreement) to buy in January

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

With about 30 hours of the window left it looks, at present, like Joe and Milan are history and Henderson and McQueen could join.......

If so that will represent quite a transformation in terms of the overall squad. 

Fairly surprised there's no striker rumours given Djuric's apparent move.

Surely we'd have to bring someone in..

Archived