IGNORED

American at First Match Questions

DrSnowpanic

Hello. Some friends and I from the US will be attending our first match next week (the League Cup opener versus Plymouth Argyle). I have some practical questions -- should we buy tickets in advance, if so is a day in advance OK, where should we sit, etc. as well as more general ones about what to expect from the matchday experience. A majority of us have been to matches in other countries, so this won't be a complete culture shock.

(I tried to post this in the Match Day forum, but couldn't see how to.)

30 minutes ago, DrSnowpanic said:

Hello. Some friends and I from the US will be attending our first match next week (the League Cup opener versus Plymouth Argyle). I have some practical questions -- should we buy tickets in advance, if so is a day in advance OK, where should we sit, etc. as well as more general ones about what to expect from the matchday experience. A majority of us have been to matches in other countries, so this won't be a complete culture shock.

If you want atmosphere go in the South Stand id say, book tickets in advance, drink cider!

42 minutes ago, DrSnowpanic said:

You can buy tickets in advance but for this particular game there certainly won’t be any need, a league cup early round match will only see the stadium around a third full.

If you are in the area for longer, I would advise attending a league match instead, which will draw a much bigger crowd with a better atmosphere and a greater sense of occasion, which will be a much better showcase for our club.

Ashton Gate is now a very modern and clean stadium since the redevelopment a couple of years ago. Be sure to walk around the entire three-sided concourse to see various murals and displays relating to City, the rugby team and sport in Bristol in general.

43 minutes ago, DrSnowpanic said:

Oh, I’m not sure if you’re actual fans or not, but to be certain:

We are NEVER just “Bristol”.

But just call us “City” and you will fit right in!

Welcome. Its always good to see people from other places come to the gate.

The ground won't be more than a third full so don't feel there's any rush to buy tickets. On the night would probably be ok.

You can probably expect quite a low key atmosphere from the home ends. As a rule, our fans are quiet and this isn't a game to get people excited. Plymouth however, will bring a couple of thousand and be relatively noisy. They see us as rivals of a sort.

46 minutes ago, DrSnowpanic said:

Most comfortable and spacious seats, but most expensive - Lansdown Stand

Be amongst the singers and most “hardcore” support - South Stand behind the goal

Middle ground option between price and comfort - Dolman

If it was me and I was 100% coming I would get tickets now via email as you can spend match day drinking and looking round the stadium instead of in a (albeit) small queue getting tickets.

I would suggest lower Dolman E29 ish block as good leg room and sideish view plus close enough to the singing area to get some atmosphere much as it will be on a first round cup game.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Most comfortable and spacious seats, but most expensive - Lansdown Stand

Be amongst the singers and most “hardcore” support - South Stand behind the goal

Middle ground option between price and comfort - Dolman

Aren`t all tickets a tenner for this one wherever you go?

You won't need to buy tickets in advance. Not that you can't, but there will be thousands of empty seats!

I hope you don't form an opinion on the atmosphere at City or English football in general, as the League Cup first round is normally just about the worst attended game in English football! And we played the exact same figure in R1 last year, so it's a rather dull and unappealing fixture for many!

No room for another American find a different club buddy. ?

As others have said tickets should be easily obtainable on the day. So that is preference. Closer to the corner of SS and Dolman you are the more atnosphere you will get but will probably be quite chilled. Was last year as we cruised to a 5-0 victory. And no you can’t drink alcohol at your seat. 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd recommend buying tickets in advance to avoid waiting in lines on the night.

Ditto. 

Bristol City never quite get the pay on the day staff vs consumers ratio correct at matches  when there is likely to be high demand for that type of admission. On a bad day you have to stand in a bloody gert queue, and on a good day you have to stand in a bloody gert queue. Oddly, the queues rarely move.

Be warned, most have experienced the ‘we didn’t get in until half-time’  at sometime during their City supporting career. It’s the stuff of legend (and song).

38 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Isn't it if the ball is scuffed or damaged in any way the trajectory could be altered?

With a perfect ball it's all down to the skill of the pitcher as to what the ball does.

I have been watching a fair bit recently pitcher throws catcher catches throws the ball to person who chucks it into the crowd. just thought an American would have the answer.

1 hour ago, reddoh said:

@JoeAman08

@DrSnowpanic

sorry to digress on your thread but can you explain why in baseball they change the ball so many times.

53 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Isn't it if the ball is scuffed or damaged in any way the trajectory could be altered?

With a perfect ball it's all down to the skill of the pitcher as to what the ball does.

Think this covers it. Getting even the tiniest advantages is frowned upon in baseball. Think little scuffs and scratches can help grip and help get more movement on off speed pitches. Plus who doesn’t like free souvenirs? 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think this covers it. Getting even the tiniest advantages is frowned upon in baseball. Think little scuffs and scratches can help grip and help get more movement on off speed pitches. Plus who doesn’t like free souvenirs? 

Thank you if you ever want to know about cricket let me know just don't ask me about offside rule in football i just don't understand it any more.

21 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Thank you if you ever want to know about cricket let me know just don't ask me about offside rule in football i just don't understand it any more.

Not even tried to watch cricket. Tbf haven’t been able to watch baseball for years either. Just takes too long

11 minutes ago, Bristol_South_End said:

There's a reason you can drink at baseball:

Baseball is boring... American Football on the other hand - what a sport!

Got a great weekend lined up in October - City away at Brentford on the Saturday before the mighty Los Angeles Chargers "host" the Titans at Wembley.

Hat trick for Fammy and 4+ TDs for Philip Rivers please!

Archived