IGNORED

Strength of U23's side

Lrrr

Fully expect a few more to be loaned out, but given we've already had a few go I think this team demonstrates the wealth of talent we have coming through at the club, saw some U23's football at premier league academies last season and believe this would comfortably match up.

Watched this tonight. First half we were dominant and led 1-0 at half time. 

Second half the strength of Taunton showed through and they won comfortably in the end. 

Hegeler did a good job of being the old head and getting the ball to his young and enthusiastic companies. Joe Morrell impressed me. 

It's late and I'll add some more thoughts tomorrow. 

Following on from last evenings comments, firstly I don't intend to do a player by player analysis. Mainly because I go to watch a game not individuals and secondly, if I then make comments about those players,  too many of us would take it as gospel. 

The general picture was of a team in the first half who controlled the game with neat and quick passing. It seemed easy to get to the edge of Taunton's box but apart from a couple of times we promised to but did not deliver. 

Second half, continued in same vein but Taunton were not sitting as deep as first half, allowing us less room and we didn't get close to goal so often. While I would have expected our lads as full time professionals to last better, it was the part time adults who lasted better scoring three in the last half an hour. 

Overall it was very similar to watching our first team. Good early performance with opposition almost sitting back letting us play in front of them. Very few goal attempts that actually worked their keeper. Mainly off target or blocked. Too much effort trying to keep the ball or be too fancy in the box. Instead of shooting. 

Then as we run out of ideas and no plan B, we concede soft goals. 

Hegeler played centre back and helped his young colleagues with his passing and verbal advice. I wonder if he is being given a start in coaching? 

Joe Morrell for me was the stand out player of the night. Never rushed, never bullied physically for such a short lad. Always looking for the unexpected pass instead of playing it safe. 

Considering that about eight of our Under 23 squad are either on loan or in first team squad, we had some very talented youngsters on the pitch.  How well they progress will be subject to lots of factors so I won't make predictions on how many will make it to our first team. 

An enjoyable and interesting evening. 

Archived