IGNORED

Reid & Bryan

bengalcub

8 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Agreed Bristol86 , but there’s a right way and a wrong way of doing things .

Exactly. The thing that sticks in the craw for me with Bobby is that he only stuck around for one season after he emerged as a championship quality player. Prior to that City stuck with him many many years where he was in and out of the team. Would it have killed him to sign an extended contract on a massively increased salary and see how it went ‘til Xmas rather than jumping ship at the first opportunity and to one of our biggest rivals. For a Bristol boy that is out of order.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

It's only loyal if you have the opportunity of a better job but don't take it. Until now neither Reid nor Bryan had been offered a better option so naturally they kept signing contracts.

Don't agree with that. I think it works both ways. I think the club have looked after them for years and in return they've been very loyal. 

Who knows what happens behind closed doors but I'm sure Everton tried very hard to sign Bryan a couple big seasons ago?

He had one very good season. He’s 25 , he might not get the chance again to play in the prem. from the clubs point of view it’s a very good deal . One season wonder (as yet) last year of contract and £10 m 

really don’t understand fans getting upset about players  leaving. Always have always will get over it ffs

4 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Exactly. The thing that sticks in the craw for me with Bobby is that he only stuck around for one season after he emerged as a championship quality player. Prior to that City stuck with him many many years where he was in and out of the team. Would it have killed him to sign an extended contract on a massively increased salary and see how it went ‘til Xmas rather than jumping ship at the first opportunity and to one of our biggest rivals. For a Bristol boy that is out of order.

Jumping ship from the Championship to the Prem is completely excusable, what if we had started poorly and nobody was in for him come Christmas? 

5 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

He didn’t “give” it he was paid, handsomely later in those years as well I would imagine...

With all due respect Bobby Reid was never paid handsomely by bcfc. He was probably never paid even the average wage for a championship player. 

Don't disagree with that either as before last season he didn't deserve to be. 

But likewise before the start of last season we wouldn't have got 300k for him. 

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Who knows what happens behind closed doors but I'm sure Everton tried very hard to sign Bryan a couple big seasons ago?

Had they, he'd have gone. Fake News, Fake Agents.

Simple fact is, which many in Bristol find it difficult to accept ( whisper quietly,) he's bang average and a defensive liability.....

That he looks after himself, what else would you expect?

While it sucks they've left without a new contract to improve the price can't begrudge them the move either, neither refused to play (unlike others) they got on with it and waited for the club to accept offers, they signed a contract for a set amount of time. How would anyone on here feel if they worked in a contract industry and their employers came to them asking for them to sign an extended contract at the company you want to leave so the company would get a bigger compensation package, expect people would be reluctant. Really Flint goes in a similar category, fully expect his new contract only involved an added release clause, rumour was we wanted £10m for him before, he had plenty of time on his contract and suddenly was off for £7m/£8m.

Good grief, the reactions on here.

Theres no such thing as loyalty in football anymore. Don’t try and pretend there is. This is all about business nowadays. We are barely a step away from the mercenary mentality of the NFL. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you realise the club has done nothing wrong. The players have done nothing wrong, they’re looking after their own. Let’s face it, if you’re on 20k a year, and some other company offers you the same job, maybe s but more pressure but not loads, and offers you 60-80k you’re going to go for it, even if after three years it doesn’t work out you can do a hell of a lot with the extra cash.

As for the club, you cannot force players to sign contracts. In the case of Bryan and Reid, what more can they do? You would be screaming blue murder if we let them go for free next year.

Some people really need to wake up.

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Don't agree with that. I think it works both ways. I think the club have looked after them for years and in return they've been very loyal. 

I have never seen any evidence of that alleged Everton interest. Persistent claims that Fulham and West Ham want him seem to have come to nothing. Surely those stories couldn't have been planted by his agent??

Any PL club could afford him easily now yet it looks like none of them is going to bother. What does that tell us?

7 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Can't agree, some players only get a premier league team come calling once in a career, can't blame Bobby for wanting his chance.

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Because of his affected accent ,considering he's a bristolian why's he got a London grime scene accent.

I think a lot of men his age in Bristol speak in the same way so I’m not sure it’s affected.  Regardless I’d say conflating the way you perceive him to speak with being a “gangbanger” is pretty insulting of a player who by all accounts was one of the most hard working and professional at the club. 

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I have never seen any evidence of that alleged Everton interest. Persistent claims that Fulham and West Ham want him seem to have come to nothing. Surely those stories couldn't have been planted by his agent??

Any PL club could afford him easily now yet it looks like none of them is going to bother. What does that tell us?

3/4 years ago I spoke with tony fawthrop ex city manager/ scout. He now works for Everton, apparently they were in for him.

37 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Both jumped ship amd showed no loyalty to the club that gave them there careers , never begrudge a player moving when done correctly see flint , by refusing to sign your contracts you have cemented yourselves in the same bracket as kodjia and Freeman , can’t believe two players who lets face it at any other club would of been binned off ages ago could show such disrespect to the club and fans as they have .

What a load of tosh

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Jumping ship from the Championship to the Prem is completely excusable, what if we had started poorly and nobody was in for him come Christmas? 

True enough. I just find the mercenary footballer mindset disheartening - the gap between players and fans has never been wider and I just hoped or wished that we could expect a bit more from someone who’d been part of the City family for so long and through some lean times.

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

3/4 years ago I spoke with tony fawthrop ex city manager/ scout. He now works for Everton, apparently they were in for him.

So what happened to the bid? I'm sure both Bryan and the club would have jumped at the chance.

Clubs show an interest in all sorts of players but in most cases that leads to nothing.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Disrespected the club and supporters the minute he did that ridiculous head tapping shite,  unfortunately. 

I Normally enjoy your posts but the head tapping is just a gimmick to appease Cardiff fans I didn't lose any sleep over it and am sure when he moves on from cardiff he will do some other bollocks for his next club.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nonsense, he didn't have to do it.

He didn’t have to; he chose to. Either unthinking or actively disrespectful to City fans. I hope it was the former. 

Can you imagine Scotty signing for Cardiff and doing that? No he stuck two past them and then baited them. City legend. Reid could’ve been but chose not to be. 

6 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

Theres no such thing as loyalty in football anymore

There never was. There was a restricted trade practice with clubs holding all the aces. Just because a player happened to stay with a club for a long period it didn't mean they wanted to. Players sometimes were in receipt of other inducements, bring allowed to undertake outside paid employment or provide underhand and subsidized inducements.

2 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I Normally enjoy your posts but the head tapping is just a gimmick to appease Cardiff fans I didn't lose any sleep over it and am sure when he moves on from cardiff he will do some other bollocks for his next club.

Quite, and he'll kiss the badge, say what a great club it is and that the fans are the best in the world. It will all be lies of course but enough people will believe it to make it worthwhile.

Archived