IGNORED

Goalkeeper Situation

JasonM88

Since we were promoted from the championship, it was obvious the club were looking to strengthen the gk options. How did we do this; by spending **** all on it 

Goalkeepers 

15/16 - Ben Hamer - Loan

- Richard O’Donnell - Cheap option. 

16/17 - Ivan Lucic - Free

- Fabian Giefer - Cheap Loan

17/18 - Luke Steele - Free

18/19 - Niki Meanepaa - Free 

- Stephen Henderson - Cheap option

We clearly tried to go our and make a statement signing in this area this summer and for whatever reason it didn’t happen. 

Henderson/Maenpaa are nothing more than cheap short term options to see us through FFs injury whilst allowing MOL out on loan. On the face of it is seems a sensible plan. Max keeps developing whilst in the meantime we have experienced cover until Frank is back. 

9 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Since we were promoted from the championship, it was obvious the club were looking to strengthen the gk options. How did we do this; by spending **** all on it 

Goalkeepers 

15/16 - Ben Hamer - Loan

- Richard O’Donnell - Cheap option. 

16/17 - Ivan Lucic - Free

- Fabian Giefer - Cheap Loan

17/18 - Luke Steele - Free

18/19 - Niki Meanepaa - Free 

- Stephen Henderson - Cheap option

well we tried to sign henderson before he signed a new contract at Man United,

We've also had a 3.5 - 4 million bid for the american Steffan knocked back due to them not wanting him to leave during their season so clearly been trying to sign someone,

Give us a list of available keepers that we could sign?

Maenpaa was signed after Frankie was injured, I doubt he would have come here to be a bench sitter, and we only probably agreed to sign him when the more expensive players we wanted (ie, the USA kid) fell through.

Henderson is only being signed so Max can go out on loan.

I imagine in January we'll go after the American lad again, with their season over with, and Frankie or Niki will be number two, and Henderson released. Suspect it will be a 6 month - 1 year deal max for Henderson. 

I think Maenpaa is a better keeper than Fielding. His distribution on saturday was far superior than Frankies,kick it into touch, attempts. As for the American kid. He may not qualify to play for us yet. He has only played two friendly games for the US and I read that he would have to be loaned out if we did get him, to a European team.

2 minutes ago, fatchers said:

I think Maenpaa is a better keeper than Fielding. His distribution on saturday was far superior than Frankies,kick it into touch, attempts. As for the American kid. He may not qualify to play for us yet. He has only played two friendly games for the US and I read that he would have to be loaned out if we did get him, to a European team.

Based on one game , where he had little to do ?

5 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

You get what you pay for. 4 years of neglect when we’ve spent quite handsomely across most other positions. 

sick of hearing this. seems to be shouted everytime someone does not agree with the clubs actions. o.k. you get what you pay for so what will you say when the club trebles the price of seats to pay for your chosen selections

1 minute ago, JasonM88 said:

You get what you pay for. 4 years of neglect when we’ve spent quite handsomely across most other positions. 

You get what's available too.

Look at how many of the top clubs struggle to find adequate goalkeepers, especially those clubs that play a pressing game and need more of a sweeper-keeper. Man City took years to find a suitable one and they have near limitless resources, likewise Liverpool. Arsenal haven't had a truly great one for years.

Finding a goalkeeper who is in our price range, willing to sign, and is better than Frank Fielding at the things Lee Johnson wants a goalkeeper to do isn't easy.

1 minute ago, generation1 said:

sick of hearing this. seems to be shouted everytime someone does not agree with the clubs actions. o.k. you get what you pay for so what will you say when the club trebles the price of seats to pay for your chosen selections

You are missing the point. Look at the list at the top of the page, it answers the point raised. ALWAYS a cheaper option !!

I rather our owner didn't spunk millions away on Engvall and Djuric and maybe invest those millions into a GK?

3 minutes ago, generation1 said:

**** off. Since Johnson has been here, we’ve spent upwards of 35/40 million on transfers. I’m saying, if the club can afford to shit money up the wall with strikers and midfielders, why have we failed to spend a single pound on a permanent goalkeeper. 

4 minutes ago, generation1 said:

I’d read his post properly  

He’s  pointing out we’ve spent widely elsewhere but neglected a keeper

1 minute ago, JasonM88 said:

**** off. Since Johnson has been here, we’ve spent upwards of 35/40 million on transfers. I’m saying, if the club can afford to shit money up the wall with strikers and midfielders, why have we failed to spend a single pound on a permanent goalkeeper. 

Because we’ve had a permanent goalkeeper...?! 

The one who has failed to be displaced by several others and has generally been excellent for us. 

5 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Short term injury, both likely to be no more than 3rd choice.

They'd both jump at the chance

No they wouldn’t as we won’t pay them anywhere near what they are on, we can’t adford too

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

True, but in that one game I was much more positive in his kicking

Can’t argue with that Phant

Although interestingly he didn’t target quite so wide

Bit old fashioned but I want my keepe first and foremost to be a good solid keeper in terms of crosses , communication ,shot stopping etc !

Maenapaa did absolutely nothing wrong Saturday in a solid start

We will be able to judge a bit better in a few more games

5 minutes ago, generation1 said:

understand your point but you seem to be missing mine. whatever the club do someone on here knows better and could better spend the money.

ok you want to choose you pay

With due respect , posters on here  aren’t paid £300-400k  a year by the Club , to make good decisions 

We've had our #1 in Frankie since we came up, who really is a mid table championship keeper, only really now that we're looking to push further and reach play offs are we feeling the need to upgrade. This summer we've had a $4m bid turned down as well as approaches for Henderson, Button and how many others? Clearly we do see it as a position we need to improve on and we're not afraid of skimping out, just at this stage of the permanent window main targets with have inflated prices now.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

We've had our #1 in Frankie since we came up, who really is a mid table championship keeper, only really now that we're looking to push further and reach play offs are we feeling the need to upgrade. This summer we've had a $4m bid turned down as well as approaches for Henderson, Button and how many others? Clearly we do see it as a position we need to improve on and we're not afraid of skimping out, just at this stage of the permanent window main targets with have inflated prices now.

Spot on, but that doesn’t seem to get through to the want it yesterday generation 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With due respect , posters on here  aren’t paid £300-400k  a year by the Club , to make good decisions 

Then perhaps that’s what they are doing and they want to get the right keeper at the right time, rather than pay stupid money on anyone right now, when a short term contract can see us through to when the one(s) we want might be available..?

Archived