IGNORED

Goalkeeper Situation

JasonM88

47 minutes ago, Mr Roper said:

He didnt have much to do but was calm and his kicking was excellent .Think the save he made second half was superb ,saved a point for us Im sure . Looked like shot was in all the way until he got a hand to it.

Slight exaggeration, looked like the sort of save any Championship keeper would be expected to make. He had a quiet game, nothing outstanding, no mistakes, let’s just see how he performs when under greater pressure, and over a number of games before judging him. 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d read his post properly  

He’s  pointing out we’ve spent widely elsewhere but neglected a keeper

Some people don't read the posts, though, Bob, as you know well. They can't wait to tell someone to **** off because their view differs. You've been on here long enough to know that. In fact, everyone's been on here long enough to know that we all have differing opinions and that that's ok. It's life. Some people just can't find the maturity to accept it. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting to see how he does- he did get a new contract at Man Utd (not that I expect him to seriously challenge for a first team place there with their resources) so they perhaps see something- at least able to sell to a decent PL side perhaps.

Wrong Henderson. 

2 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

What about one that calls and commands his box

Can we have the number of goals conceded because he came for a cross and missed. I genuinely can't think of any, Frank fielding is a scapegoat in my opinion. A lot of the defence downed tools last year and don't get half the stuff he gets. 

Committed and capable, I've got time for him even if others dont. 

4 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

**** off. Since Johnson has been here, we’ve spent upwards of 35/40 million on transfers. I’m saying, if the club can afford to shit money up the wall with strikers and midfielders, why have we failed to spend a single pound on a permanent goalkeeper. 

I think the simple answer is that finding a substantial and worthwhile upgrade on Fielding - who is a mid table Championship keeper - is difficult to find, when you are a mid table Championship side. Only now we’re pushing top half (just) is the position becoming a more pressing issue.

In other words, Frank is about our level and someone better will generally go to a better side.

Frank is not a truly top class keeper, but we are not a truly top class side. He has weaknesses in his game, but if he didn’t, he wouldn’t be playing for Bristol City would he. I would argue his saves v clangers ratio is actually very healthy.

I would also say that a club’s own will judge their own keeper more harshly than others. We recall small mistakes and weaknesses more readily, when the overall impression might be more positive to an outsider.

4 hours ago, fatchers said:

I think Maenpaa is a better keeper than Fielding. His distribution on saturday was far superior than Frankies,kick it into touch, attempts. As for the American kid. He may not qualify to play for us yet. He has only played two friendly games for the US and I read that he would have to be loaned out if we did get him, to a European team.

Before we rush to judgement (either way) on our new keeper, can I just again remind people of this thread from 2016.

Give it time, and a decent sample size of games.

216CCCCF-4762-4310-AD2F-50574B0EB73A.jpeg.aa2f263638b21506161b60d95e4b2e95.jpeg

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think the simple answer is that finding a substantial and worthwhile upgrade on Fielding - who is a mid table Championship keeper - is difficult to find, when you are a mid table Championship side. Only now we’re pushing top half (just) is the position becoming a more pressing issue.

In other words, Frank is about our level and someone better will generally go to a better side.

Frank is not a truly top class keeper, but we are not a truly top class side. He has weaknesses in his game, but if he didn’t, he wouldn’t be playing for Bristol City would he. I would argue his saves v clangers ratio is actually very healthy.

I would also say that a club’s own will judge their own keeper more harshly than others. We recall small mistakes and weaknesses more readily, when the overall impression might be more positive to an outsider.

Absolutely spot on.

Archived