IGNORED

are we just a sh*t southampton ?

where's the joy

the grow your own and sell them to liverpool model worked for the saints for years. i cant help but think we are going the same way.

thank goodness for Warnock or Reid would also have gone to a promotion rival, surely we should not be helping the likes of boro and villa

please tell there's a least one better player than flint, bryan or reid coming in this week to compensate for losing the first 3 names on our old team sheet 

So what we should have held onto Reid and Bryan and lost them for nothing next season? No Premier league clubs came in for Flint and Bryan so its not like we've chosen not to sell to the premier league, that's all that's in for them. Flint the common rumour is he had a release clause in his newest contract so we likely didn't get a choice over his destination. It's how football works though, premier leagues best buy from just below them, the middle clubs buy from the bottom etc we're just a level on the food chain and have to accept that. We can afford the fee for a marquee player but whether they want to come on the wages we can afford is another question. Reid, Flint and Bryan will now all be on wages beyond our wage structure and you advocate us going to sign a better player?

Well said @hodge

its where City are in the food chain.  We are higher in that chain than we were 2/3 seasons ago, but whilst 3 clubs enter the Champ on parachute payments every year, meaning there are likely to be between 6 and 9 clubs on PPs each season, it’s going to be tough to break into that new level.  Not impossible, but tough.

I don’t mind selling to “rivals”.

Did they pay decent money = yes

Am I worried our ex-players will play well enough week in, week out to hurt our chances = no

Flint and Bryan are good players and were starters in our first XI but they both have mistakes and bad games in them - I don’t think either will set the world alight and bottom line is we conceded far too many with them in the side. Maybe freshening up will change our fortune.

8 hours ago, where's the joy said:

the grow your own and sell them to liverpool model worked for the saints for years. i cant help but think we are going the same way.

thank goodness for Warnock or Reid would also have gone to a promotion rival, surely we should not be helping the likes of boro and villa

please tell there's a least one better player than flint, bryan or reid coming in this week to compensate for losing the first 3 names on our old team sheet 

Has it worked for Southampton?

They have got considerably worse over the last few seasons and were fortunate to avoid relegation last season.

Plus they receive £20m and spend £20m. We receive £10m and spend £2m....

Don't really see the comparison myself.

8 hours ago, where's the joy said:

Yet another whopper of a post. What's wrong with everyone?

Starting to feel like I'm the mental one, might need a break from OTIB.

58 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

They have got considerably worse over the last few seasons and were fortunate to avoid relegation last season.

we've spent a hell of a lot more then 2 million

4 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Well yeah obviously we have overall!

I was referring to selling one player and spending an equal amount on a direct replacement.

2 different types of players or should we of spent 10 million on a striker?

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Sell Flint for £7m and sign Webster for £5m

9 hours ago, hodge said:

So what we should have held onto Reid and Bryan and lost them for nothing next season? No Premier league clubs came in for Flint and Bryan so its not like we've chosen not to sell to the premier league, that's all that's in for them. Flint the common rumour is he had a release clause in his newest contract so we likely didn't get a choice over his destination. It's how football works though, premier leagues best buy from just below them, the middle clubs buy from the bottom etc we're just a level on the food chain and have to accept that. We can afford the fee for a marquee player but whether they want to come on the wages we can afford is another question. Reid, Flint and Bryan will now all be on wages beyond our wage structure and you advocate us going to sign a better player?

Well said.

I like the new city mantra & business model, it’s something that needed addressing and it’s starting to come through. Thinking back before we made huge profits on the sale of Kodjia, Flint Reid & Bryan, when was the last time that happened for one of our players?

We are now being seen as a stepping stone for player development & careers which makes young hungry players want to play for us and obscure foreign gems want to join us to eventually get a bigger move.

Im all for it just as long as we reinvest in the right footballers so we can also progress as a club on the pitch.

6 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Van Dijk went for £75 million (with Celtic apparently getting 10%). Saints have spent very little in comparison

• Admin
6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

For years we have people claiming we should scrap the academy because it "doesn't give value for money" or "supply players good enough for the first team". Now it's doing both and people are complaining about that.

Out of interest who has come through our academy and made it as an established first team player?

Reid / Bryan, anyone else?

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Out of interest who has come through our academy and made it as an established first team player?

Like I suggested in my reply, it's starting to bear fruit. We have Kelly, Pring O'Leary and others making in roads now. 

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

With us or with others?

I seem to recall Liam Rosenior...but he jumped ship to Fulham early on. Scott Golbourne...again left early. 

Both had alright careers. With us though, those 2 the main ones I recall (Reid and Bryan).

Skuse and Carey too of course- how could I forget!

The tricky thing about this forum is that there are valid concerns people raise about the squad, the way we approach games and other things, but it's all mixed in with people saying stuff like this. I get that that's the nature of a forum, but it does frustrate me when we make sensible business decisions, buy a mixture of Championship experience, relative youth and high-performing youngsters from lower leagues, and then people come out with quotes like this.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Our academy has improved as our playing level has improved. 

Our academy when we were in league 1 produced some first teamers , already mentioned, and a fair few others that float around the lower divisions, Tommy Doc , Wes Burns ...

Joe and Bobby did exceptionally well to survive all the upheavals and force their way in to the first team.

For a few years now the academy has been more focused, the quality of player has improved and we will see the benefits in the long term , Kelly looks like breaking through this season. 

Thought our defence was pretty average last season (probably cost us a playoff place). Can't say I am too gutted to see Flint and likely Bryan go as although quality on their day they just aren't consistent enough currently.

If Reid, Diedhiou or Pack had gone to a championship club I would have been a lot more concerned to be honest.

Archived