IGNORED

Throw ins

Port Said Red

Something that struck me on Saturday was how poor our movement was at throw ins and how we struggled to maintain possession from them.  It might seem a small thing, but for a Management team that pride themselves on gaining small margins and attention to detail from set pieces, it seems a strange omission in our tactics. 

We may have got over reliant on Hordurs long throws and I noticed that Kelly was also looking to supply those when he played, but we do need more variety in the way use them and players awareness when we get one. They all seemed to think of it as a chance to take a breather on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Something that struck me on Saturday was how poor our movement was at throw ins and how we struggled to maintain possession from them.  It might seem a small thing, but for a Management team that pride themselves on gaining small margins and attention to detail from set pieces, it seems a strange omission in our tactics. 

We may have got over reliant on Hordurs long throws and I noticed that Kelly was also looking to supply those when he played, but we do need more variety in the way use them and players awareness when we get one. They all seemed to think of it as a chance to take a breather on Saturday.

You are a true thinking fan - good to see and hear.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Thoroughly agree.  Been saying that for ages.   It should give us advantage the majority of times not loss of possession.

DQ

2 minutes ago, Dolman Queen said:

Thoroughly agree.  Been saying that for ages.   It should give us advantage the majority of times not loss of possession.

DQ

Think it’s got harder in the modern game - you don’t get many throws now where the opposition let anyone have an easy possession as once was

Agree with the OP that in that our movement to help the thrower (And one of the biggest weaknesses in our general play when we are struggling) is poor

The issue was exacerbated by our lack of ability to make the ball stick at anyone's feet. I actually think we miss that more from Fam's ban than his goals. We're always going to get goals from elsewhere in the team but not having someone strong enough to back into a defender with the ball at their feet and either turn or play off to one of our runners will be more of an issue. Hopefully someone like Watkins may be able to fill that void a little until Fam's back.

24 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think it’s got harder in the modern game - you don’t get many throws now where the opposition let anyone have an easy possession as once was

Agree with the OP that in that our movement to help the thrower (And one of the biggest weaknesses in our general play when we are struggling) is poor

Apart from against us perhaps!

Small things like this are what separates us from the elite in this division. We're a good footballing side when we want to be, we can create chances and threaten the opposition, we're defensively ok and have a decent keeper.  However, little things like this are where we could make a small (and easy) improvement.

Slightly off-topic and perhaps a stupid question, but does Fam's ban include the League Cup game(s)?

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Small things like this are what separates us from the elite in this division. We're a good footballing side when we want to be, we can create chances and threaten the opposition, we're defensively ok and have a decent keeper.  However, little things like this are where we could make a small (and easy) improvement.

Slightly off-topic and perhaps a stupid question, but does Fam's ban include the League Cup game(s)?

Yes 

He uses one (I think it’s two if we beat Plymouth) of his banned games in Carabao

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Have noticed for a while the amount of times that we pick balk up for a throw and turn to face our goal, Same with free kicks, the amount of timessential we played the ball back or across, only then to end up in a very similar position with the guy who took the free kick!?

23 minutes ago, mossey said:

Have noticed for a while the amount of times that we pick balk up for a throw and turn to face our goal, Same with free kicks, the amount of timessential we played the ball back or across, only then to end up in a very similar position with the guy who took the free kick!?

It's the modern mania for keeping the ball but not going anywhere with it. 

Completely agree re throw ins. Amazes me that at every level it is now rare teams can do throw ins to feet. It also always feels to me that when the ball goes out it takes ages to come back in. 

I do sometimes think we take the wrong options on set pieces for the sake of playing better football. First corner on Saturday led to the goal (and o’dowda Nearly scored in same move), second corner we did a rubbish short corner routine.... why not put the ball in there as clearly a weakness for forest.... third one we did and pack’s header cleared off the line. I felt the same for all our set pieces that are say 40/50 yards out, we are keen to get down and play, which I like, but you have to play to your strengths and against the other teams weaknesses (and forest clearly poor on set pieces). 

I too noticed this. The lack of movement around the immediate area where we had won the throw in was at times non existent. There wasn't much other movement elsewhere either.

Definitely something to be worked on.

22 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Something that struck me on Saturday was how poor our movement was at throw ins and how we struggled to maintain possession from them.  

Is that all you were worried about? I started to be a bit concerned after about 30 mins when our play reminded me of our form post Christmas last season!

What surprises me is how often a player will allow a ball to go out for a throw when it remains playable in open play.  Also how often defenders will play square passes to each other only to eventually pass it back to the keeper to hoof it downfield, when they could have done that themselves (and probably from a better position!).

1 hour ago, Taz said:

I too noticed this. The lack of movement around the immediate area where we had won the throw in was at times non existent. There wasn't much other movement elsewhere either.

Definitely something to be worked on.

there was a lack of movement on both sides to be honest, I put it down to the heat, it can't of been easy to play in those conditions 

Archived