IGNORED

500 car spaces lost

Full nelson

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can see midweek attendances start to slide with all of the barriers that are going up as far as independent travel to games is concerned.

Have to admit I am getting to the stage where I am thinking is it worth the hassle of getting  there. I have to drive 3 out of 4 times as I am either coming from work or going straight to work and I'm sure there are plenty of others in the same boat

The parking by babcocks is becoming a nightmare as well ,as someone has thought it a good idea to let the away coaches move nearer to the main road after the match and away fans getting on them and waiting for mate's ect block the paths  so everyone else has to walk on the road amongst the traffic , it's an accident waiting to happen.

19 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

They have. Their answer is public transport, or their "If You Have A Car, F You" policy dating back to Ferguson's tenure.

A mate of mine drives up from South Pertherton and it takes him just over an hour on a good day.

If he had to use public transport, the journey there and back would take over 8 hours, and having to use several buses and trains, and a bit of a walk at each end.

People like him in a similar situation are always going to use their cars.....especially when passengers contribute to the fuel costs.

2 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Imperial tobacco has sold their car parks which can hold up to 500 cars on match days, you couldn’t make it up!! As of the 1st of September the car park will no longer be open for fans to park Onsite. 

Indeed, tis true
This comes from this story wot i done... :)
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/500-space-car-park-next-1874948

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

A mate of mine drives up from South Pertherton and it takes him just over an hour on a good day.

If he had to use public transport, the journey there and back would take over 8 hours, and having to use several buses and trains, and a bit of a walk at each end.

People like him in a similar situation are always going to use their cars.....especially when passengers contribute to the fuel costs.

You know this, I know this, try selling it to the pencil-neckers on the council board with too many fingers in Worstbus' pie.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How do other clubs' fans cope with it?

In the sense of, is our situation fairly unique or is there a greater use of buses etc? Maybe their public transport is better (don't include London or out of town grounds because their situations differ).

I think it is fairly unusual, that we have a council that is not fit for purpose and who's sole aim is to punish anyone with a car is a major factor in the problems.
Any right thinking council would make it as easy as possible to park and ride and supply a public transport to tempt people to use it, not make things so difficult and try and force people to use a system they realised was so poor that they spent £200m on a new one that doesn't then make allowances for football..... only in Bristol .

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think it is fairly unusual, that we have a council that is not fit for purpose and who's sole aim is to punish anyone with a car is a major factor in the problems.
Any right thinking council would make it as easy as possible to park and ride and supply a public transport to tempt people to use it, not make things so difficult and try and force people to use a system they realised was so poor that they spent £200m on a new one that doesn't then make allowances for football..... only in Bristol .

Agree on the first bit about a council not fit for purpose! Second bit about drivers, I don't drive so I couldn't say for sure.

Agreed for sure, park and ride- public transport, park and ride- you have to give a viable alternative- or people will simply drive- as they do!

The new system (assume you're talking Metrobus) seems less than fit for purpose too. Favourite bit though is as you say, not being extensively used for football (and rugby I believe)- ludicrous.

I did read though that in Nottingham now bus use has risen sharply a decade ago...mind you that probably comes into Part 1. Think they've made it quite difficult to drive and it hasn't so far affected business too much...however they seem to have provided a strong alternative.

18 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Public transport if you live local may be an option.  No one would suggest your mate does it for that journey.

On 08/08/2018 at 16:06, myol'man said:

I know it's a bit of a trek but the Ashton Court lodge car park (entrance next to The Ashton pub) is usually half empty on a Saturday and I think it's still £1 all day.

Avoid the post match traffic if heading south.

Good shout that . Might park up there and take the bike down. Helluva climb back up hill though!

On 08/08/2018 at 14:06, Full nelson said:

Imperial tobacco has sold their car parks which can hold up to 500 cars on match days, you couldn’t make it up!! As of the 1st of September the car park will no longer be open for fans to park Onsite. 

The worst transfer deadline day deal, was it Everton? ?

I know it's a bit of a trek but the Ashton Court lodge car park (entrance next to The Ashton pub) is usually half empty on a Saturday and I think it's still £1 all day.

I do this most weeks. It’s now £1.20 but still worth it.

Don’t make the mistake that I did and park there for Sat games during December and January - they lock the gates early during these months and you won’t be able to get out without the council coming to unlock them (for a £20 charge).

I had no idea that car park was even open! Great bit of intel, many thanks for the recommendation. The Ashton is also a nice pub to stop for a post-match pint whilst the traffic dies down too. 

11 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I had no idea that car park was even open! Great bit of intel, many thanks for the recommendation. The Ashton is also a nice pub to stop for a post-match pint whilst the traffic dies down too. 

The problem with having a post match pint is the risk of drink driving. 

8 hours ago, Undy English said:

No football colours I believe. 

And it gets a right slating on TripAdvisor for eating there, or it used to, haven't looked for a while.

Archived