IGNORED

Genuine Cinema Question

Undy English

Saw something on social media that in turn created a work argument. Hoping you trusty forum users can offer insight..........

What is the actual cinema policy on taking in your own food and drink? There's one of these 'quote memes' doing the rounds online that states cinemas actually don't care whatsoever about you taking your own stuff in with you. People were commenting saying they've taken sweets, drinks, even KFC into the cinema with staff not even batting an eye-lid!

I was always under the impression that you couldn't take your own stuff in and had to buy theirs. During my child hood I even distinctly remember cinema staff taking stuff from a woman at Cineworld Hengrove, but that was some years ago.

We used to be cineworld members, one of those where you pay £15 a month and you can watch as many films as you want.

You get a discount for having it, but the pop corn, drinks (i say drinks, 3/4 ice and diluted coke) and ice cream are still expensive but we never did bring our own. Never noticed anyone who did so, maybe it varies from cinema / branch.

I do recall when me and all my family all went to see Titanic back in the day. My nan (who had not been to the cinema for many years) brought a big picnic for everyone to eat during the film, we found it hilarious when we got there. The staff told her to leave it in the car. That's my only experience of them turning anyone away, but it was one huge bag she brought full of food. 

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

We used to be cineworld members, one of those where you pay £15 a month and you can watch as many films as you want.

You get a discount for having it, but the pop corn, drinks (i say drinks, 3/4 ice and diluted coke) and ice cream are still expensive but we never did bring our own. Never noticed anyone who did so, maybe it varies from cinema / branch.

I do recall when me and all my family all went to see Titanic back in the day. My nan (who had not been to the cinema for many years) brought a big picnic for everyone to eat during the film, we found it hilarious when we got there. The staff told her to leave it in the car. That's my only experience of them turning anyone away, but it was one huge bag she brought full of food. 

That sounds just like what my nan would have done, bless her

I used to go to Cineworld in Hengrove quite a lot when I was younger. They were incredibly strict. Pretty sure they had signs up warning you about it too. Lost a few bags of Minstrels to their staff over the years.

When I go nowadays, once a quarter maybe, I go to the one in Cabot Circus and they don't seem bothered. I took a Nandos in once as we didn't have enough time to eat it before the showing. No bother at all. 

Archived