IGNORED

Inevitable, but terrible / Disappointing transfer window (Merged)

Sturny

I think we always knew that these 3 players would go, so no complaints there from me.

The frustration from my point of view is that we were above each of he clubs they’ve moved on to not more than 8 months ago. 

Oh, what could have been.....

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Playing 2 centrally in a League where 3 is increasingly becoming the norm especially among good sides or fluid setups like Wolves last year, is asking for trouble IMO.

However it would be and would have been asking for trouble whether we'd kept Flint, Bryan and Reid or not.

You are talking to the wrong person, I have no issue with the sales or with the buys, my issue is with the fact we have not strengthened midfield when it has been crying out for strengthening for 2 years now.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You are talking to the wrong person, I have no issue with the sales or with the buys, my issue is with the fact we have not strengthened midfield when it has been crying out for strengthening for 2 years now.

Yep I’d go further back then that though es

8 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Bristolian soul has been ripped out of the club these past few months with Joe, Bobby and Adam gone. 

Bringing in this Da Silva over Lloyd’s head was the final insult. 

Lets just change our name to Westcountry Robins, sign up officially as Chelsea’s U23 feeder team and be done with it.

Adam is the only one that has been replaced with an improvement

I've just been on 5 Live musing about Jay Dasilva and reminding Tony Livesey we did Burnley a favour with Tom Heaton.

Yes, we've done some great business, with Bryan, Flint and Reid realising their full market value following excellent form last season.

However, due to Fammy's ban and Djuric's departure we desperately need a loanee striker, and the midfield general that Johnson yearned for after the Easter defeat to Brentford wouldn't go amiss either.

Still, never a dull moment being a City fan.

Reid and Bryan may have been Bristolians but were they loyal? Seems like both were not going to sign contracts so getting 16m is very good. We will miss Flints danger from set pieces but from a defence point of view we'll have to see but I think that side of his game we won't miss. 

Kelly will still get games but if Da silva is as good as people say then we couldn't turn down the chance to sign him 

We've had a stinking transfer window, let's not dress it up.

We've sold our 3 best players.

Can see us going through this cycle for a few more years to come. 

What about if Pack, Brownhill, O'dowda have exceptional seasons this year? We will sell again and it's a never ending cycle. 

We all expect progression this year, but is that realistic? Probably not. We've spent decent money, but this money has been spent on replacing rather then building on what we had. Have we bought in better? I'd say no, 

Webster / Flint = Let's face it, I know a few don't like Flint, but he is a very good CB at this level. Webster has higher potential however!

Bryan / DaSilva = Bryan has been exceptional. DaSilva highly rated, be surprised if he performed to the levels Joe has set thoghh 

Reid / Weinmann = Reid was by far our best player last year. We haven't replaced his goals. 

Are we stronger than last year? In depth, yes. In quality, no! 

Would be a huge achievement to be top 10 this year.

Problem is, there feels to be pressure on Johnson already. If we are mid table, can see fans turning. Which would be bonkers considering.

14 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Lets just change our name to Westcountry Robins, sign up officially as Chelsea’s U23 feeder team and be done with it.

Former isn't necessary but for now, the latter, yes please.......

13 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Surely us setting up- especially in such a competitive division- with a 3 as in a bona fide central midfield 3 would strengthen it though?

To put it another way, centrally where's our weak link for you? In our 1st XI midfield central 3 if we set up that way (which I think we should). What I'm trying to suggest is that the problem maybe as much tactical, maybe even more tactical, as much as personnel.

24 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It stings. No icons left at the club. Boring squad full of boring players.

I feel much the same. Inevitable that players move on, but they take a lot of memories with them. Hard to get as excited by a mix of the unproven and journeymen...which won't of course stop us hoping that the latter will turn out to be the next Wilbs or Wade.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Surely us setting up- especially in such a competitive division- with a 3 as in a bona fide central midfield 3 would strengthen it though?

Not with what we have IMHO and not because they are not good players individually but because there is no leader, no organiser and the 3 of them lack the discipline to remain in shape for 90 minutes, that is our problem.

6 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

What about if Pack, Brownhill, O'dowda have exceptional seasons this year? We will sell again and it's a never ending cycle. 

We all expect progression this year, but is that realistic? Probably not. We've spent decent money, but this money has been spent on replacing rather then building on what we had. Have we bought in better? I'd say no, 

Webster / Flint = Let's face it, I know a few don't like Flint, but he is a very good CB at this level. Webster has higher potential however!

Bryan / DaSilva = Bryan has been exceptional. DaSilva highly rated, be surprised if he performed to the levels Joe has set thoghh 

Reid / Weinmann = Reid was by far our best player last year. We haven't replaced his goals. 

Problem is, there feels to be pressure on Johnson already. If we are mid table, can see fans turning. Which would be bonkers considering.

Not sure if its too early to judge yet. SL is certainly expecting better than 11th and as said as much!

6 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I do agree we are weaker...if we are mid table I would be delighted so no pressure from me...will give the new signings more than a chance but not sure to be honest time will tell but think there will be more downs than ups.

anyhow we won’t be in any trouble but think it will just be a meh mediocre season which I am starting to think is fine with Bristol sport

8 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

You are choosing to look at most things as a negative.  Wait and see.  I think you, and a fair few others, will be surprised.  Pretty sure we will get top 10.

Depth is much stronger.  That is what cost us last season.  If Johnson is clever enough to rotate we can press all season.  

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Depends who we bring in on loan when the window reopens. We've lost our 2 best players IMO which is never a good thing. All about how we react now & LJ & co will have no excuses.

Losing your best players makes you weaker. 

If I was manager, I would hope people would recognise.

5 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Not this again......................:sleeping:

Before making such daft comments,why not wait for the first 10/15 games and then try to make more informed comments? 

All one can say about this post is that as a non-sequiter it really isn't funny. The quality of being assessed as being terrible has no logical link to inevitability. 

In truth we don't yet know the quality or merits of those recruited, though can profess an opinion based on their careers to date. We do however understand the quality and merits of those who've left and in at least two cases you've massively overstated their worth.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Before making such daft comments,why not wait for the first 10/15 games and then try to make more informed comments? 

We've lost our three best players.

It makes progressing harder. Not saying we won't, but it makes it harder. 

On the back of this window, do you think we have any right to finish higher than 11th? No one has any right to anything, I know

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

People are allowed to appraise a transfer window..they are doing it now on sky sports with people who are far more interesting and knowledgable in terms of football  than you.

just because you don’t agree does not mean others opinions and thoughts are not valid.

Archived