IGNORED

Inevitable, but terrible / Disappointing transfer window (Merged)

Sturny

9 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

We've had a stinking transfer window, let's not dress it up.

We've sold our 3 best players.

Can see us going through this cycle for a few more years to come. 

What about if Pack, Brownhill, O'dowda have exceptional seasons this year? We will sell again and it's a never ending cycle. 

We all expect progression this year, but is that realistic? Probably not. We've spent decent money, but this money has been spent on replacing rather then building on what we had. Have we bought in better? I'd say no, 

Webster / Flint = Let's face it, I know a few don't like Flint, but he is a very good CB at this level. Webster has higher potential however!

Bryan / DaSilva = Bryan has been exceptional. DaSilva highly rated, be surprised if he performed to the levels Joe has set thoghh 

Reid / Weinmann = Reid was by far our best player last year. We haven't replaced his goals. 

Are we stronger than last year? In depth, yes. In quality, no! 

Would be a huge achievement to be top 10 this year.

Problem is, there feels to be pressure on Johnson already. If we are mid table, can see fans turning. Which would be bonkers considering.

How about waiting a little longer than one match in to the season before writing us off? Who knows how good the players brought in will be. Lets be honest the players sold may have been on paper our “best” players, but this is a cycle nearly all clubs go through, and not all of them fail because of it.

I for one am cusrious to see how the season pans out, I am excited by some of the players brought in and will be supporting them and encouraging them to hit the ground running.

The season has 8+ months left, your negativity is so counter-productive.

Completely understand the outs - that was great business. £25m plus

Happy with the incomings too...just feel we are a little light and need a further 4 signings.

Keeper, Midfielder and two strikers...I can’t see where the goals are going to come from. We can’t just rely on Diedhiou and without him on Sat we looked very weak up top.

Not sure the loan window will help us plug all of those gaps.

All 3 wanted out and you probably can't blame them, you can't stand in the way of players wanting to play in the Premier League and all the riches that brings still don't like seeing BR in a Cardiff shirt though and Flint has a good chance of promotion with Boro,  we have got strong money for all 3 but it feels like we are starting from scratch again, not sure about the players in yet and it could be a difficult season, I would definitely take mid table at the moment cant see us troubling the top 6 just hope we don't trouble the bottom 3 !!!!

2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

I do agree we are weaker...if we are mid table I would be delighted so no pressure from me...will give the new signings more than a chance but not sure to be honest time will tell but think there will be more downs than ups.

anyhow we won’t be in any trouble but think it will just be a meh mediocre season which I am starting to think is fine with Bristol sport

It's the Bristol disease - being laid back at being completely underwhelming!

I accept all the issues about parachute payments skewing this division & having to work within FFP, but after selling the 3 stand out players of last season, it is understandable if the fans question the club's ambition. Other clubs have survived on doing this in the last few seasons (Brentford spring to mind) but in the case of Brentford, the reality is that they are no closer to promotion than they were 4 years ago. They will have made a tidy profit on player sales, but I am pretty sure I know what their supporters would have preferred.

I actually think our back 4 looks stronger than it did last year. Admittedly don't know much about Dasilva but sounds like he's exciting going forward.

With Weimann and Watkins we have added Championship experience and some extra promise in Eisa and Adelakun. What with Eliasson's early form he seems like a new signing too. 

I went in to the summer fully expecting Flint, Bryan and Reid to go and am genuinely pleased for the latter two. The club should be proud to have developed two premiership quality Bristolians. To get 20m plus is just great stuff seeing as 2 only had a year left on their contracts.

For me a very successful window and I go into this season quietly optimistic and full of excitement.

Bloody hell and I thought I was negative.  Think we've done ok but will have to wait a few months to be sure.

I'm fairly happy for once, although my mood improved a lot once Joe told Villa to do one.

I think it also quite telling that although Bobby and Joe got their prem moves Flint didn't.

19 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Not with what we have IMHO and not because they are not good players individually but because there is no leader, no organiser and the 3 of them lack the discipline to remain in shape for 90 minutes, that is our problem.

They do like to roam, true enough.

Still think it would leave us less open than we have been at times a 3- for me based on recent times, Pack is the first name on the midfield team sheet. Brownhill or Smith? Hard one though both Brownhill and Pack were good Saturday.

Leader? Yeah it's hard to identify one offhand- would have thought Korey the best candidate because he's a driving midfielder. I think if following specifically drilled roles though they could stay in a more designated zone personally. At the very least 3 central mids would I think leave us more margin for error.

14 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Good news in a way because it shows how good the academy is. I'm sure people will be knocking on the door for Kells very soon so hopefully it will be like a conveyor belt of premier quality footballers we develop and soon hopefully hold on to until the real big boys start knocking

I do get that. Thing is, at some point we will have to make a decision- stick or twist.

Say for argument's sake in 2 years time we finish 8th in the League having had a sustained playoff push- and this is of course subject to our rolling 3 year financial results being in reasonable shape. Naturally we will get big bids for players- perhaps even from significantly bigger clubs- or at least bigger clubs than this summer.

That for me...will be the time to say no. Absolutely no- to show the courage. Maybe we needed to clear losses so some of the fees make sense, doesn't make it feel any easier though. However in that scenario in summer of 2020 or 2021 it must be a case of closed for business...and strengthen through canny loans/frees/modest fees for that next push.

January was a sinking transfer window, this one not so much. Jury is out on if the first 11 have been improved or not however the squad as a whole is stronger which is what let us down last season.  I feel more confident this season purely because we have decent cover in most areas of the pitch, I'd much rather have a steady season this time rather than the huge highs and massive lows we had the last two seasons! 

Our problem is we've got the funds for transfers but not the wages to bring in like for like name players at the moment.  We've got the money that we don't have to shop in poundland but can't yet afford to shop at Waitrose or M&S., if that makes sense.  Lets see how we go for the next few games before passing judgement!  Personally feel we've done ok.  Maybe people feel  we've not recruited well because we've not made a marquee signing to get excited about?

Remember when Swansea went and lost all their best players? Trundle to us etc and then surpassed us? How about Southampton selling every year? Tottenham selling Carrick, Berbatov, Ferdinand, Bale?...

It happens, just hope we are under the right leadership to manage the changes and take us as far as those and others have managed. 

As everyone hs touched on before, there are very few non-selling clubs in the world. We're not big enough to demand players stay.

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

His reply started with "Wtf is wrong with you?". I'm hardly going to reply with respect.

Yep he did and you bit faster than a croc in a butcher’s. It’s Robbo for Lords sake!

Dont get dragged down, there is no moral high ground in the swamp

22 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Are we stronger than last year? In depth, yes. In quality, no! 

Would be a huge achievement to be top 10 this year.

Agree. More options,but we lost three key players and their remplacements don't seem as strong as them on paper. 

Pitch will tell us if we're right or wrong...

We are now entering the "give them time to gel" phase, next will be the "fine tuning " at the xmas window, ending with....sell what we can and "we go again" in the summer.

8 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

People are allowed to appraise a transfer window..they are doing it now on sky sports with people who are far more interesting and knowledgable in terms of football  than you.

just because you don’t agree does not mean others opinions and thoughts are not valid.

How can anyone appraise City’s transfer window when very few of us have seen the new signings play at their previous clubs?

Its part of LJ and his coaches roles to do the necessary due diligence on any new signings and are therefore far better qualified than us fans to assess their abilities. Bear in mind that we fans have seen just one game with less than half on the new signings taking part and yet some feel qualified to appraise the window - based on what? 

Its utterly ridiculous.......................:disapointed2se:

1 hour ago, Buster said:

We are definitely a weaker team now

I agree.

Was prepared to argue it was pretty much even Steven when we had shifted a lot of deadwood (O’Neil, Golbourne, Garita) & those awful loans plus getting back what we paid for Hörður.

The 7 we have brought in might not have 2 individuals as effective as Reid & Flint but overall do strengthen our numbers.

But today’s business means 5 starters from the Man U game have left & we have sold our best 2 players.

Lansdown’s aim of top six seems totally out of reach, even equalling last season’ 11th looks a very tall order.

New CB arguably better than the one we replaced.

New LB arguable better than the the one we replaced (albeit a loan).

New GK arguably better than the one still here.

New RB better than the one still here.

2 new wingers arguably better than the ones still here.

CF arguably worse than what’s been replaced, but with considerable more experience.

Another new CF brought in, arguably best lower league striker available.

Whats the problem?

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

My assessment is based on the fact they're not playing in the premier league or as promotion contenders perhaps? If you think you need a crystal ball to tell you that then you're a complete weapon aren't you mate 

Weimann played in the Championship play offs for Derby in May 2018....doesn’t that constitute us signing a ‘promotion contender’ ?!!!!

52 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Bristolian soul has been ripped out of the club these past few months with Joe, Bobby and Adam gone. 

Bringing in this Da Silva over Lloyd’s head was the final insult. 

Lets just change our name to Westcountry Robins, sign up officially as Chelsea’s U23 feeder team and be done with it.

You’d be comfortable with just Lloyd and at a push Pring available at LB? One injury away from being screwed with that scenario! Had to sign someone.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

DkLCW9yUcAAJfTR.jpg:largeLarge

Flint-Boro.jpg

If I showed you these pictures at the beginning of this year what would've you said?

I'm aware holding onto these players was going to be tricky but we've made inferior replacements and I can't help but feel this has been one of the most disappointing windows in a long time :(  

Players come and go BUT THIS STILL SUCKS

Phew ! Good that we are not a selling club and wow, so pleased we have built on the money we got and bought better ! Crap, deals done late and after most of season tickets sold,. 

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

DkLCW9yUcAAJfTR.jpg:largeLarge

Flint-Boro.jpg

If I showed you these pictures at the beginning of this year what would've you said?

I'm aware holding onto these players was going to be tricky but we've made inferior replacements and I can't help but feel this has been one of the most disappointing windows in a long time :(  

Players come and go BUT THIS STILL SUCKS

I good friend who is close to the club told me a couple of weeks after the end of the season that these three were unhappy at decisions within the club and wanted out. I didn't believe him but in fairness he was bang on about the three but it would be conjecture to state whether he was right on the reasons why and no I'm not saying who the source is and neither am I in the main ITK.

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Weimann played in the Championship play offs for Derby in May 2018....doesn’t that constitute us signing a ‘promotion contender’ ?!!!!

He did but he replaced a very high goal scoring striker who's now in the prem. Therefore he is inferior as a replacement

10 minutes ago, Unan said:

New CB arguably better than the one we replaced. Really? Why didn’t Boro buy him instead?

New LB arguable better than the the one we replaced (albeit a loan). Based on potential, never played at Championship level.

New GK arguably better than the one still here. After one game you know this?

New RB better than the one still here. Probably.

2 new wingers arguably better than the ones still here. No chance, better than O’Dowda? No way.

CF arguably worse than what’s been replaced, but with considerable more experience. Reid got 20, how many will Weimann get?

Another new CF brought in, arguably best lower league striker available. Marriott? Like Eisa though.

Whats the problem? Super optimism & a lot of guesswork.

Archived