IGNORED

Inevitable, but terrible / Disappointing transfer window (Merged)

Sturny

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t think Bobby has proved he is better than Weimann yet....Bobby has had just one good season in his career and he’s 25....he could easily spend much of this season on the bench....

I agree Bobby could easily be a one season wonder, might not be, but could be.

I am at an utter loss however with the optimism surrounding Wieman

9 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I see what you're saying but at the end of the day if it was down to me I'd keep Bobby Reid over Weimann when it comes to current player ability 

Well I was disappointed to see Bobby leave after just one good season with us and I think he could have really made a name for himself if he’d given it another season with us and then he would have probably got a move to an established premier league club rather than Cardiff....but we can’t blame him for probably quadrupling his wages. However, we’ve brought in Weimann who has played more games in the premier league than the championship so we can’t complain about that signing just yet...he looks like a very experienced, competent, solid performer on paper, but I just hope he’s quite decent on grass too!

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Surely everyone accepts now was the right time to sell these 3 players?

It was, but that's not the point of my original post. The replacements seem worse players than their predecessors therefore it's hard to not to feel disappointed 

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

It's the Bristol disease - being laid back at being completely underwhelming!

I accept all the issues about parachute payments skewing this division & having to work within FFP, but after selling the 3 stand out players of last season, it is understandable if the fans question the club's ambition. Other clubs have survived on doing this in the last few seasons (Brentford spring to mind) but in the case of Brentford, the reality is that they are no closer to promotion than they were 4 years ago. They will have made a tidy profit on player sales, but I am pretty sure I know what their supporters would have preferred.

The real Bristol disease is negative pessimism, seeing a glass half empty and always expecting the worst to happen.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

The real Bristol disease is negative pessimism, seeing a glass half empty and always expecting the worst to happen.

Ive been supporting the club for over 30 years, and apart from the odd season, we have average at best, with some truly woeful players. We are surely used and conditioned to not being anything else but glass half empty, cause thats what aways happens to our club.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Surely us setting up- especially in such a competitive division- with a 3 as in a bona fide central midfield 3 would strengthen it though?

To put it another way, centrally where's our weak link for you? In our 1st XI midfield central 3 if we set up that way (which I think we should). What I'm trying to suggest is that the problem maybe as much tactical, maybe even more tactical, as much as personnel.

This all day

29 minutes ago, Premier Blue said:

Ummm, let me remind you. He's the guy you were probably creaming your pants about last season saying he was going to be a top player for you in the Premier League. Well guess what. He will be playing in the Premier League where you lot will be bottom half at best in the Championship

I reckon he’ll spend a lot of time on the bench missing the days when he was playing every week in his one good season - a season which somehow persuaded your mob to give us £10m !! 

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well I was disappointed to see Bobby leave after just one good season with us and I think he could have really made a name for himself if he’d given it another season with us and then he would have probably got a move to an established premier league club rather than Cardiff....but we can’t blame him for probably quadrupling his wages. However, we’ve brought in Weimann who has played more games in the premier league than the championship so we can’t complain about that signing just yet...he looks like a very experienced, competent, solid performer on paper, but I just hope he’s quite decent on grass too!

Is he really good on paper? Have you literally just looked at him and said "He played in the Premier League therefore he is good" He hasn't played in the Prem in almost 5 years mate

He's made 120 appearances in the champ.........and scored 17 times... That's less than Bobby's "One season wonder" 

I really don’t understand why people are losing their s**t over this now. The moment we didn’t go up all 3 of these players were going to leave. We all knew that straight away.

To have got £20m+ for them represents decent business. To have got another £3m in for Mags and Djuric is also not bad.

As for the replacements I don’t know what people are expecting. To replace with guaranteed ‘better’ players means buying Premier League players that we simply don’t have the money for. I can’t understand why anyone thinks we would have.

I think we’ve recruited as well as we can for the pond we’re fishing in and I’m sure they won’t all work out - they never do in football - but I don’t think there’s anything to be worried about. 

Replicating last season was always/is going to tough as the amount of progress you have to make just to stand still in this division is huge but whilst the starting 11 isn’t as strong I still think the squad is stronger overall.

Lets just wait until after Villa, 10 games in and see where we are. You can’t possibly judge this team or any of the new players yet.

11 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'll grant you that LJ did warn us that this might be a difficult summer of departures (as I recall) - but I very much doubt he'd have had a better offer than the free pass he's been given here by SL! 

He’s given himself a tough task, sell all your best players, replace them with lesser signings, I give him 3 months but he needs to prove his worth now other than making money for SL

What cracks me up with some of the planks moaning on here is that LJ said in his post season interview that it was going to be a difficult summer . Anyone in their right mind knew we were going to lose flint, bobby and joe. 

A lot of the moaners were probably the same idiots that wanted more championship experience in the squad last season. Well 5 of our new signings are all experienced championship players 

We have to replace Milan yes but apart from that we’re looking pretty good. 

There will be more meltdowns on here if/when we struggle in games with famara out. He adds a lot to how we play so we will miss him . Apart from that , get a grip ffs 

By position based on whether we’ve strengthened or weakened. Strengthening being a success, not strengthening or cementing a position that sustained 11th being a failure.

8 first team recruits. 6 first team sales.

Goalkeeper:

Steele out, Maenpaa in - not an upgrade. Strength of position not improved and Fielding is still no 1. Failure.

Right back:

None out, Hunt in - big improvement and with Pisano and Wright we now have good options. Success.

Left back:

Bryan and Magnússon out, Dasilva in - a loan for two permanent players. With Kelly’s development we should have cover however in such a high impact position we seem short. Also a gamble and short termist bringing a loan in for two perms. Failure.

Centre back:

Flint out, Webster in. We have good coverage here, however at time of writing, there are question marks around fitness and ability. It’s slim, but, overall, failure.

Centre mid:

no change (ignoring O’Neil). No upgrade. Failure, albeit an area that required little attention.

Wing:

None out. Watkins, Adelakun in. Success, once they’re fit.

Strikers:

Reid and Djuric out, Eisa and Weimann in. Weaker in that we’ve lost the fulcrum of our team, and lost a ‘club in the bag’. Eisa is a gamble and Weimann needs to prove himself. With Famara out for a long time, we could be struggling to find goals for a while. Failure.

Player values are in place for a reason. We have sold well, but have not used that money and it shows in this assessment, where you can see that we’ve weakened, or failed to strengthen every position bar right back and wing. Areas of particular concern are goal keeper and striker.

Furthermore we faced an endemic of injuries and fatigue in the second half of the season and this has not been addressed. The squad is two personnel heavier, which seems insufficient. Time will tell, but the standard Johnson Q3 purple patch is imperative as we seem to have done nothing to fend off his traditional mid winter slump.

53 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Anyone want any chicken ?

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Neymar.

He'll want it in a roll!  :)

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I reckon he’ll spend a lot of time on the bench missing the days when he was playing every week in his one good season - a season which somehow persuaded your mob to give us £10m !! 

£10 million was a bargain in this transfer window. Have you seen the stupid prices the likes of Fulham have been spending?

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well we don’t often sign players who’ve played well over 100 games in the premier league, so why the pessimism?!

I know, and I am not saying he is a bad player - my point is a lot of people believe he will score a load, his track record suggests that is a false hope.

When Fam is back, and up to speed, which will take a few games, with Wiemann behind him, it COULD be a good partnership- we don't know yet, but my concern is that overall there currently, is a real lack of bite upfront,.

A loan by the end of the month may improve that.

But we , currently, are very light in front of goal and placing our hope in Wiemann is hugely optimistic.

3 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

He’s given himself a tough task, sell all your best players, replace them with lesser signings, I give him 3 months but he needs to prove his worth now other than making money for SL

The 2nd half of last season showed that at least 1 of the 3 wanted away, maybe more.  I don't get the issue.  Now whether that was due to a lack of ambition in the Jan transfer window is another question, and may have had a bearing.  They didn 't want to be here so you cash in.  Bryan was horseshit once the sky cameras vanished.

While I'm not necessarily enthused by Weimann, he does bring some positives which may yet manifest themselves.

• Goals vs both Bournemouth and Forest. Thought he looked sharp in both games also.
  • Seemed to be very hard working. Assume he is there to fill the Bobby role, and with attributes which seem similar maybe he can deliver...in certain areas.
  • People point to his lack of goals but he also is quite capable of providing assists- factor them both in and it's not too bad. Always best to look at the whole package sometimes.
  • He's versatile along the front line- not an out and out forward.

That said, he has big boots to fill. No doubt about it. Has he shown good signs? Yes. Does he need to continue with these and building on these? Certainly.

23 minutes ago, lenred said:

And you’re so happy about it you’ve decided to come and gloat. Oh well, guess you are preparing for relegation already judging by your buys this summer (Bellamy basically admitted as much last night) and so you’ve got to get your kicks somewhere haven’t you Premier Bell? Enjoy. 

I will. Enjoy the bottom half of the championship

37 minutes ago, Premier Blue said:

Ummm, let me remind you. He's the guy you were probably creaming your pants about last season saying he was going to be a top player for you in the Premier League. Well guess what. He will be playing in the Premier League where you lot will be bottom half at best in the Championship

Why would I have cream in my pants?Must be a Welsh thing!

Enjoy the school holidays butt. Few more weeks and you'll be baaaack at school. Now do everyone a favour and **** off.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Key point here is inevitable. There is no way we weren't going to lose those 3. Put the razor blades away.

You are absolutely correct.

And I only wish all three of them the best - and I genuinely mean that.

None of them are due the club or us supporters anything.

In my opinion, and I am most certainly NOT ITK, they realized in January that the club lacks ambition and made their decisions based on that.

Archived