IGNORED

Inevitable, but terrible / Disappointing transfer window (Merged)

Sturny

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Tell me then who out of our squad you get excited by watching then. I'm not saying any of them are not capable, but who the **** would you pay to watch? Even in the worst times recently we had players like Albert who were shining lights. This team is boring, no stars,ordinary 

JET

Bugger

27 minutes ago, Premier Blue said:

?????????

That's a low shot given the are no emojis for poverty, impetigo, cretinism, prostitution, despondency or Max Boyce with which to respond. 

Jeez, you can't even form a decent league of your own in which to play. 

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course, and though I felt reasonably optimistic not too long ago tonight I'm evaluating the window as a whole and feeling pretty gloomy about our prospects.

I've got us down for 16th - at best - and that's as optimistic as I can muster.

A good old fashioned thumping of Bolton on Saturday is needed to rally the troops methinks, and if Mo comes on to grab a couple of late goals so much the better.

Yep, that is about where I am in reality. I hope SL has knows something we don’t, not a stretch I guess :laugh:

29 minutes ago, Premier Blue said:

You certainly are. You have nothing in your s@@t city. No decent arena, wtf is your metro? A glorious park and ride that was built 18 months ago and not been used A useless shopping centre and not just one but two s@@t football teams

And yet we always get voted one of, if not the best city to live in or visit by National Geographic, The Times, New York Times, Lonely Planet, etc etc. Amazing eh? (Not that you’ll have heard of these publications of course).

Anyway, you seem to know a lot about our fair city. No doubt you come over here to work like half the people who actually do bother to work in your country do, because there’s f all going on in your little principality. Either that or you are G*s.  Which would figure. Now crawl off and dream of Colin and the shite football you’re going to watch in your shite plastic stadium.  

53 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course, and though I felt reasonably optimistic not too long ago tonight I'm evaluating the window as a whole and feeling pretty gloomy about our prospects.

I've got us down for 16th - at best - and that's as optimistic as I can muster.

A good old fashioned thumping of Bolton on Saturday is needed to rally the troops methinks, and if Mo comes on to grab a couple of late goals so much the better.

I know what you mean. Reflecting on it, my optimism has slipped away for sure.

Don't know about 16th, I'm going for 12th, 13th something like that but can't see anything exciting on the horizon.

Bolton? That would help. Can't see us necessarily winning up there tbh, not because they're a good footballing side- far from it. More that they are horrible to play again against.

Bookies and predictor's don't seem to see us winning either on Saturday which surprised me a bit.

5 hours ago, Big C said:

So you’ve seen enough of Maenpaa, Hunt, Webster. Dasilva, Watkins, Weinmann. Eisa  and  Adelakun to quantify that they are not going to be influential or leaders? 

we all know the answer to that and it's no he can't possibly have, his answer is based on nothing more than his opinion, he may well be wrong but I suppose he is entitled to it.

53 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Tell me then who out of our squad you get excited by watching then. I'm not saying any of them are not capable, but who the **** would you pay to watch? Even in the worst times recently we had players like Albert who were shining lights. This team is boring, no stars,ordinary 

That's so stupid - you've not seen loads of them play. You probably would have said the same thing when Bryan, Flint and Bobby first played for us. I bet you had no idea how big an impact Adomah would have when he'd played one game for us.

I'm excited about Webster, Eisa, Weimann, O'Dowda, Eliasson, DaSilva, Kelly, the return of Diedhiou to name a few. Not to mention Adelakun when he's available.

You know what Adomah was? A gamble on a lower league prospect. What do you think O'Dowda, Eisa and Adelakun are? Talented players who've proven their flair in the lower leagues. And if you think that's too risky, we've also signed proven Championship talent in Watkins, DaSilva, Weimann and Webster. But what's this? We've got talent coming from our academy too in Lloyd Kelly? Wait, how about a player from abroad with bags of ability in Eliasson who's starting to come out of his shell?

Yeah, nothing at all, let's just focus on how we sold 3 players for a ton of money when it would have been financially incredibly dumb to hang onto them. Let's ignore the fact that we've sensibly invested our money from big sales like Kodjia in a number of players for smaller fees, some of which have succeeded, and instead focus on the ones who inevitably haven't because OBVIOUSLY not every player we sign will succeed.

I get why people would be upset that we've sold our players, but to say we have "boring players" now and nothing to be interested in is just ignorant. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It’s all down to the GIF’s why we struggled from January. The 3 most watched GIF players were Flint, Bobby and Joe. Along with our cup run it put them in the National media spotlight and IMO they became bigger than the club, as no doubt their agents noted.

The seeds of impatience and doubt were planted in these players minds and the siege mentality (that accompanied the underdogs tag) united the team and motivated us just dissolved.

By the end of the season the only way forward was to cut out the open sore of disenchanted players and bring in some fresh recruits. 

I like most am disappointed to lose such talented players but every player has a shelf life at a club and it was time for them to move on even if at least 2 of them are still to reach their peak.

What LJ has to do now is build a team ‘totally committed’ to taking Bristol City to new heights even if some of the individual components,for now, may not match up to last season. Quite a challenge but not impossible.

I believe the squad has better depth now and some of our younger players like O’Dowda, Eliasson, Kelly, Brownhill and Walsh may well step up this season along with some of the recent additions. Glass half full for me anyway.

looks like me and you are in a minority, I too think things wont turn out half as bad as some on here think, for gods sake we have only seen one game and some of our new signings have not kicked a ball for us yet.

22 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

What's happened to the rest of the money? 12-15M depending on who you believe... not reinvested. 

Recently someone on the forum put a link up to priceoffootball.com, I became a lot more educated with regard to how clubs budget and run their finances. On the site just click on bristol city to see that it's a lot more complex than 12-15M not reinvested!  It gives u a rundown on the economic realities of running the finances of a club......specfically our club, i found it to be an eyeopener, and realised just how much we rely on SL's support, in fact without  him we'd still be midtable in Division 1 or possibly lower?

1 hour ago, Premier Blue said:

You certainly are. You have nothing in your s@@t city. No decent arena, wtf is your metro? A glorious park and ride that was built 18 months ago and not been used A useless shopping centre and not just one but two s@@t football teams

and a city that your lot will almost certainly be having to visit again next year! 

38 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

What's happened to the rest of the money? 12-15M depending on who you believe... not reinvested. 

It allows for freer spending over the next few windows, add to the fact next season I believe will be the first where over the three year period for FFP we'll have had increased commercial and match day income it means if LJ wants to buy someone around our record spend then we won't have to worry about FFP implications, spend it all now and then we're back to close to making the annual £13m loss whereas this season we'll be close to breaking even/making a profit for the year so that £12m to £15m not reinvested now then becomes an extra four or five million per season over the next three years we can invest.

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

O’Dowda, Eliasson, Eisa - Excited

Pack Smith, Baker - admire (what they do is not eye catching, but you do not win games without it). 

Webster, Brownhill, Dheidhou - not always world beaters but good enough, often enough to make me want to watch). 

I’m a Bristol City fan, next birthday I’ll be 60, trust me me when I say, we have nearly ALWAYS, had worse teams than this.  

Like others have said, it was inevitable that they would go but I can't help but feeling disappointment with this window. The heart of the double winning team and league cup semi-finalists is now gone. Yes, we shouldn't get too attached to players but it is deflating to see these three move on. 

I completely agree with the principle of organic growth; developing a squad by reinvesting profits made on transfers. This has not been completed in this window and the money has not be reinvested. We've missed a massive opportunity to develop our squad further and add some depth. The Championship is now harder than ever before due to teams ignoring the shambolic FFP rules. We really are in danger of being left behind 

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

O’Dowda, Eliasson, Eisa - Excited

Pack Smith, Baker - admire (what they do is not eye catching, but you do not win games without it). 

Webster, Brownhill, Dheidhou - not always world beaters but good enough, often enough to make me want to watch). 

I’m a Bristol City fan, next birthday I’ll be 60, trust me me when I say, we have nearly ALWAYS, had worse teams than this.  

You old git!

5 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Like others have said, it was inevitable that they would go but I can't help but feeling disappointment with this window. The heart of the double winning team and league cup semi-finalists is now gone. Yes, we shouldn't get too attached to players but it is deflating to see these three move on. 

I completely agree with the principle of organic growth; developing a squad by reinvesting profits made on transfers. This has not been completed in this window and the money has not be reinvested. We've missed a massive opportunity to develop our squad further and add some depth. The Championship is now harder than ever before due to teams ignoring the shambolic FFP rules. We really are in danger of being left behind 

It was 3 seasons ago, how long are people going to go on about not many members remaining of that side. Given the turning over of football players at clubs its probably a wonder we still had as many as we did last season. 

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

You are absolutely correct.

And I only wish all three of them the best - and I genuinely mean that.

None of them are due the club or us supporters anything.

In my opinion, and I am most certainly NOT ITK, they realized in January that the club lacks ambition and made their decisions based on that.

That last sentence is pure conjecture.

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I know, and I am not saying he is a bad player - my point is a lot of people believe he will score a load, his track record suggests that is a false hope.

When Fam is back, and up to speed, which will take a few games, with Wiemann behind him, it COULD be a good partnership- we don't know yet, but my concern is that overall there currently, is a real lack of bite upfront,.

A loan by the end of the month may improve that.

But we , currently, are very light in front of goal and placing our hope in Wiemann is hugely optimistic.

You think Barca will loan us Suarez?

7 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

we're on course to lose 19 million, the rest of the money is bring that lose down so we don't breech FFP,

or would you be happy with a transfer embargo and a possible points deduction?

7 hours ago, pillred said:

looks like me and you are in a minority, I too think things wont turn out half as bad as some on here think, for gods sake we have only seen one game and some of our new signings have not kicked a ball for us yet.

you're not in the minority its just the normal doom mongers who were here last august saying we won't score goals and they would drive bobby reid to plymouth for 100k

8 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

A bit like Cardiff who went up or Preston who finished two points off the play offs.

I understand what you're saying but be patient, new ' stars ' will shine as the season progresses.

I am excited by the prospect of Eisa, Adelakun, Kelly, Dasilva breaking through .

COD , Fammy , Pato ( sometimes ) are capable of moments of pure genius.

We have other hungry players with points to prove , Maepena, Weiman, Wright.

There are others who I haven't mentioned, obviously, but will also entertain us so really I don't see a ' boring ' season in prospect.

Persosonally think it’s quite sad the amount of people lying to themselves when they think Webster is better than Flint, Weimann is better than Bobby and the new chap from Chelsea will fill Bryan’s boots. There’s absolutely nothing that fills me with confidence that they’ll equal or better their predecessor’s impact in this current squad. I think who ever believes that is in for a disappointing season.

What people seem to be getting tangled up with is that they think I’m saying Webster/Weimann/Dasilva are bad players, I’m not! They’re just inferior to what we had before. 

If these replacements are better/equal then why didn’t Cardiff/Fulham/Middlesbrough come in for them instead? As they clearly were cheaper? You could argue the newbies fit our play style more and I hope that’s true, but time will have to tell.   

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Persosonally think it’s quite sad the amount of people lying to themselves when they think Webster is better than Flint, Weimann is better than Bobby and the new chap from Chelsea will fill Bryan’s boots. There’s absolutely nothing that fills me with confidence that they’ll equal or better their predecessor’s impact in this current squad. I think who ever believes that is in for a disappointing season.

What people seem to be getting dangled up with is that they think I’m saying Webster/Weimann/Dasilva are bad players, I’m not! They’re just inferior to what we had before. 

If these replacements are better/equal then why didn’t Cardiff/Fulham/Middlesbrough come in for them instead? As they clearly were cheaper? You could argue the newbies fit our play style more and I hope that’s true, but time will have to tell.   

Still labouring the point Sturny? 

I’ll ask you the same question as yesterday - on what do you base your assessment when neither you or any of us have the new signings play more than one game?

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

What people seem to be getting dangled up with is that they think I’m saying Webster/Weimann/Dasilva are bad players, I’m not! They’re just inferior to what we had before. 

personally I think its quite sad writing the season off after one game and writing players off with out watching them,

We recovered from selling Bob Taylor, Andy Cole, Kodja,  Robbie Turner, Louis Carey (Retiring) Tinman (Retiring) Ayling, Freeman, Elliot, Elliot (Retiring) losing Caulker, Tammy, JET, Matt Hill, Danny Coles

the list goes on, however the hyperbole doesn't stop

to sum it up give it a ******* rest

11 minutes ago, SX227 said:

The bit I find funny is that we have 3 decent wingers and the only 3 blokes who could score with a header have either left or are out for another 5 weeks!

Genius.

we scored from a header saturday and had a header cleared off the line

Archived